Housing Benefit moving to another part of UK

joeblogs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3657 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If I decide to move to another part of the UK, will I still be able to claim Housing Benefit or will I have to explain why I have left my original town? I will be privately renting. Thanks for any advice.

You will have to claim it from the local borough council. It is income-based so you need to submit proof of income / benefits.

You only get HB if you are liable to pay rent the proof of which is a tenancy agreement or a letter from the landlord which have to include: address of LL, amount of rent, how often it is paid, start of tenancy, if rent includes any bills / breakfast / services. Address of the property, name of LL and tenant. For T's sake: amount of deposit paid. Signed dated.

You claim HB online and within a week or so submit original docs for photocopying. No paper: no HB. Council insists on LL's address to check if it is his property. They can check it though Land Registry- you do not have to tick the box that you allow the council to contact LL.

you should be able to make a new claim for HB in new area (unless in a Universal Credit area)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.