style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3656 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have worked for a department store for the last 6 years. I have been Senior Management for all these years and Full Store Manager for 3.

My store is performing to all the given targets (sales, shrinkage and salary) and the standards of the store are high.

I am contracted to 42 hrs a week and never do less than 46 hrs (overtime is unpaid) I got a new boss a few months ago and since then problems have started.

Although nothing has actually changed with my store standards or sales dropping. Those senior to me are taking a lot of interest in my store and myself.

There is a new roll-out on Management training and I have been told I have to go away on a months training (although the standard course is a week) There is no other Manager in the Region being told they have to go on a months course. I have been told I need the 'extra help' but there is nothing to back this up. I have had no warnings or performance meeting and no disciplinary action taken against me. It seems my face doesn't fit at the moment. I belong to an 'enforced' but unofficial work group on my mobile and this seems to be used for my immediate Manager to bully me. If I respond (in a rational manner) then I just get comments like 'Boo Hoo' and 'Work Harder' etc.

Is there anything I can do? My immediate Manager is obviously not interested in what I have to say and I imagine his Manager feels the same (judging by recent conversations) and above that is really just the owner of the company and he is just of the 'If you don't like it, f*** off' type (in fact they all are - they laugh about the fact you cannot go to tribunal without paying up front any more and so much more)

What can I do? H.R will just refer it to the owner and all hell will break lose.

Thank you in advance

I would keep my head down for the moment but start keeping notes of everything and recording all conversations and remarks.

A small 4gb recorder is cheap and can stay hidden in a pocket all day recording without being filled up. Then copied on to a computer in the evening so that the memory is clear for the following day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=voice%20recorder%204gb&sprefix=voice+recorder+4%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avoice%20recorder%204gb

This kind of treatment is very difficult to prove without witnesses or evidence - and unfortunately, greater credence tends to be give to management - especially when the poor treatment is not at the extreme end of the scale.

Gather all of the evidence and come back here in a few weeks.

Make sure that the recorder will allow you to switch off the LED. Most will - but check the manufacturer's website for the user manual

I belong to an 'enforced' but unofficial work group on my mobile and this seems to be used for my immediate Manager to bully me.

I don't understand what this is, can you explain please?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry I posted to a parking forum first.

The enforced but unofficial thing is what my immediate Manager wants us all to do in the Region. All (but him) are using personal mobile phones and their own funds but it is supposed to pertain to work. There is a 'fun' and a bit of banter too. but mainly used as quick correspondence between all of us . (about 40 members in all) I do have all comments made on the phone and witnesses who feel he is being unfair.

Hi lion

Just a thought, try not to worry. But sending you away for a month, could that be a strategy for moving you from your store?

You say your face doesn't fit, could it be because your good at your job and others see that as a threat?

I've yet to come across any form of unofficial work related group messaging system that doesn't end in tears for someone. Save the messages as the person is leaving themselves wide open making comments of this nature but make sure what you are posting is whiter than white as well.

The rule of "when your face doesn't fit" is keep your head down and yes sir no sir every request unless your willing to take them on.

change phones. tell those that ask that old phone is broken/stolen and will take a while for phone co/insurers to sort out new one. If they think it so important to be able to hound you thety can provide phone and you switch it off out of work hours (unless contrct says otherwise). Do you have any characteristics that makes you different to other store managers? Education/background for example

change phones. tell those that ask that old phone is broken/stolen and will take a while for phone co/insurers to sort out new one. If they think it so important to be able to hound you thety can provide phone and you switch it off out of work hours (unless contrct says otherwise). Do you have any characteristics that makes you different to other store managers? Education/background for example

Hi, no not really... I'm a bit older and they seem to be after young 'go getters' rather than me. But I do the same job, same hours and do it just as well ( or so I thought?)

I experienced a similar situation a long, long time ago.

I was promoted as store manager, sorted out the store and hit all the targets in 12 months.

They then started coming after me and I didn't understand the reason at first because our store was performing very well.

In the end they forced me to resign because I had left an assistant manager alone in the office for a few minutes with the safe opened (no money was missing but they were monitoring the cctv).

The reason they wanted me out was that another more senior manager was in standby because his store had been closed down and they needed a space for him.

He couldn't be sent on his way because he'd been in the company 12 years and I was only there for 23 months.

He basically harvested my crop.

Maybe the same is happening with you.

Make sure you don't make any mistake and follow company policies to the letter.

This might mean changing some established habits that are accepted at work but do not comply with company policy.

I.e. using a pc while someone else is logged in, witness cashing in without actually being there, clock in/out for meal break, leave the store for a few minutes without telling head office, etc.

Make yourself very familiar with the latest policies and stick to them.

If something has to change with how you deal with your staff as a result of this, just tell them that you all need to follow company policies from now on.

Don't give too much details in case the gossip gets to senior management.

By following procedures it will be very hard for them to get rid of you.

This month training must be justified somehow.

Ask in writing more info about it and also ask the direct question: will I be back to my store after the training or you plan to get rid of me?

This will probably create a bit of panic because senior management think that we are all stupid monkeys and can't work things out.

Is there anything I can do?

Look for another and probably better paid job before they fire you.

With your CV in senior management you shouldn't have major troubles finding another position and after 6 years a career change is probably the best thing for you.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Look for another and probably better paid job before they fire you.

With your CV in senior management you shouldn't have major troubles finding another position and after 6 years a career change is probably the best thing for you.

Thanks for all your replies-I don't want to leave though, I love the job, just not the bullying culture,