Agent pushing to reference check my daughter after 5 years!- Advice welcome

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please advise.

I rent a 2 bed flat, tenancy commenced 2009.

I moved into the property followed by my daughter some time later. My daughter was 18 and returned home due to personal reasons. I pay the full rent, my daughter is at University so I do not take any rent from her. I have never defaulted on payment.

I was open in conversation when viewing that the 2nd room would be for my daughter, she will always have a room, a home. I have a separate thread reference water resale dispute but that aside, whilst in dispute the agent of the property made contact asking how many people were in my property as the water bill did seem high. I fell for this momentary and unusual demonstration of interest or supposed support from the agent as within a flash of telling him that it is just my daughter and I he replied " I didn't mean to catch you out but.."

In the next email I receive a request for £120 to reference check my daughter to amend the tenancy agreement. Can they do this? - I've been here 5 years and my daughter is saving to move out imminently! I have 6 day's left to return this document. Please advise. Thank you

Step 1 ignore it. Step 2 if they come back to you, tell them she's moved out. Step 3 tell them that she doesn't need a reference because she's a visitor. etc. etc.

Do things by letter, which slows things down.

Eventually, the crooks will hopefully get bored.

Thank you Steve.

Step 1 - The agent won't let go he is very tenacious

step 2 - Wouldn't surprise me if he camped out to catch me out! Seriously, I could but I'm so honest that it would sit uncomfortably

Step 3 - She does treat it like a hotel!

I swear he makes issue with me because of the water dispute. In doing this which is unnecessary, he communicates 'I have the power'.

You are allowed visitors. If your daughter is living there temporarily then she is a visitor, not a tenant. So she is not responsible for the rent and has no tenancy rights. Therefore she doesn't need a reference. That's all the agent needs to know. It's not dishonest.

You will probably find that if he gets his £120 he will then insist you sign a contract including your daughter for another set of fees. Then when she moves out he will want another set of fees to change the contract back and re-reference you. How easy will that sit with you!!!

Hold out!

Just my opinion, mind you.

Hi.

I don't understand either, I truly believe that as we are in dispute the agent is just throwing another stress bomb my way. I pay on time, have zero debt reference rent and keep a beautiful home. I've always had a positive relationship with the agent until I entered dispute regarding the resale water issue. I will hold out as long as I can then commit to Steve's advice on her only being a visitor but I don't think I should have to do that?

Meanwhile thank you both for your time.

As per #4. Maybe LA/LL has a policy for referencing all adult occupants >18yo

You keep suggesting LAs attitude may relate to water resale dispute. Please explain.

Is supply metered?

Who pays water bill?

Is dau a heavy user, bathes every day, leaves taps running?