style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3657 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The other day , I stupidly tried to shoplift from a store.

I was caught, and taken into a back room, surrendered the products, apologised profusely etc.

The police were called, but took too long to arrive, so the security guard said they were calling them off and that I could leave. He said I was banned from store, and would receive a fine from them.

A few questions:

-Does them calling off the police mean that there is now no police action?

-How long will it take for the letter with the fine to come through (Waiting is horrible)

-How much could I be looking at being charged? (If this is even possible to predict?)

Edited by Fallofflawrence

Superdrug cannot 'fine' you, what you will get is a letter from a RLP firm asking you to pay an amount, its not a fine its a speculative invoice and they have no standing in law, you dont have to pay it, when you do get the letter just come back here and the experts will help you with the letter you can send. Take a little time and read a few of the threads about RLP and how they are dealt with.

As for the Police, I dont think they will get involved now

If you pay it all you will be doing is funding RLP to inflict misery on others.

The invoice they will send you has no basis in law and you owe RLP nothing.

You will then get a few more scary letters all of which can be ignored.

You really need to have a read around this forum at other threads so that get the idea of how they operate.

Okay.

When you say that I don't need to pay it - is that not just going to get me into more trouble?

I just figured I'd pay it straight away so I can move on.

Please read some of the other threads in this section, they will show what will happen if you dont pay....You will get a lot of bedding for your hamster(letters) varying threats then nothing :) If you pay its money down the drain! Lining the pockets of a woman who doesnt deserve or legally have any right to your money!

Yeah I've had a read of quite a few other posts and keep seeing people saying to leave it.

But I'm just scared and really don't want to end up in even more trouble.

I'm sure you can understand the reluctance to just leave something like this.

You won't get into any more trouble.

As far as the store is concerned it is all over and done with.

RLP have no status in the legal system (or any other system).

They cannot take you to court, they cannot fine you, they cannot do anything to you apart from try and intimidate you into paying them money for which there is no basis.

The letters will sound threatening, but sit down, read them properly and they will be full of IF, may, might etc, as well as trying to play on morals. You will even get some that run into multiple pages which is absolutely laughable. She ( the owner of RLP) will even say she has some sort of link to the legal system. This is a complete lie as the relevant agencies have told her in no uncertain terms to stop telling and publicising that she has links with them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

READ THE ADVICE GIVEN.

The store has washed their hands of you. Forget about everything, learn from your mistakes and get on with your life.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I just don't really want constant letters through my door, and the whole situation has really freaked me out (I can safely say I will NEVER be attempting anything like this again!).

I live with Uni friends, and don't want the shame of them googling the name on the letter (although I probably deserve it for shoplifting in the first place :/)

But yes, I'll come back when I get a letter.

You will get letters, but you can just bin them. RLP also wont have their company name on the envelope. They risk a breach of DPA for that if they did.

Well I've spent about 3/4 hours trawling these forums, and have seen the same advice time and time again.

Still nervous, as no one seems to post when their ordeal has stopped! (their threads just become inactive) - I worry I'll be part of the small percentage that end up with debt collectors at their door or something!

There is no debt so you can confidently tell anyone who might turn up to do one or else you will call the police.

It is very, very, very, very unlikely that anyone will come round.

As said, forget it and move on with your life.

Still nervous, as no one seems to post when their ordeal has stopped!

That is a perfect illustration of "no news being good news"!!! The reason they do not post iis because they do not have to- nothing subsequently happens. They 'get on with their lives'. And you should take it as such. As the book says: DON'T PANIC ;)

Arkell v. Pressdram (1971), if you really want to get involved. But why...

PS: Unless I missed something, you never originally actually said what it was you had 'surrendered' in store, except that there was more than one of them, so how could (what ever they were) be worth only 0.01p?