Car Insurance Debt Collection Advice Please Help??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I took out car insurance in Jan 2012 with right choice insurance. I definately did not make the right choice.

I phoned them to cancel on 17 May 2013. They told me I needed to send them an email with the policy number and my details to ensure the policy was canclled. I did this them phoned back. They told me they had recieved the email, and that the policy would be cancelled with a charge of over £300. I argued this as I had my policy documents in front of me, and there was no charge for early cancellation. Escalated to management who advised they had closed the account with no charge.

Happy with this I went on my way.

I moved from cumbria, and as a result did not check my Cumberland account often, as there are no Cumberland banks in merseyside.

It was only when I was visiting friends in keswick I saw that £200 had been taken out!

They had carried on taking my direct debit for 3 months!!

I phoned my bank and told them the Direct Debit was not there with my permission, and they refunded it to me immediately, but now Right Choice are persuing me for the £200 saying my policy ran until August. I have the email proof of the date I cancelled, yet they are claiming to not have received it and that they have no records of my call!! I scrapped the car in May and they wont even accept that as proof.

Now theyve sent it to a debt collector.

What on earth do I do??

Phew, trying not to panic.

Im on the road to debt recovery - cleared nearly 20K of debt, now I just have a credit card which is being paid off, and a few accounts that get £5 pm. I felt like I was finally on the straight and narrow and getting my life (and credit rating) back in order!

Its going to be hard to get the £10 to send for the SAR, as im on a really tight budget (only my partner is working as no one wants to hire someone that needs 12 months off in a few months to have and recover from an operation). Might be a few weeks as its bill week next week,

anything i can do in the meantime?

First thing is, you don't panic.

Send a subject Access Request to Right Choice and enclose a £10 cheque, (better than a postal order if they should send it back).

Ask for a copy of all correspondence and phone calls you have made to them.

You don't need to do the subject access request.

If you have the email you sent, just send them a copy with a complaint letter threatening to go to the FOS. While any dispute is ongoing, the debt collection has to stop.

Right Choice Insurance brokers according to reports online are a totally incompetent bunch, who seem to have processes that the FCA would not be happy with.

When you send the complaint letter send it by recorded delivery to their Managing Director Mike Joseph.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You can just write to them and ask for copies of all correspondence and see what comes back.

Get a certificate of posting (free) from the post office rather than just post it in the box.

You don't need to do the subject access request.

If you have the email you sent, just send them a copy with a complaint letter threatening to go to the FOS. While any dispute is ongoing, the debt collection has to stop.

Right Choice Insurance brokers according to reports online are a totally incompetent bunch, who seem to have processes that the FCA would not be happy with.

When you send the complaint letter send it by recorded delivery to their Managing Director Mike Joseph.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!

Exactly what I needed!! Ill get that sent tomorrow, I didnt want to complain and have DCA still calling all hours, as I have a teething-light-sleeping babY!