phil24b

PC World woes with new laptop/back up media

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1810 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Will try to keep this brief,

My mum bought a new laptop from the High Wycombe branch of PC World as this was the only place that had a new boxed model, our local one Basingstoke only had ex demos

She got it home and I went over to set it up for her, I discovered she had been charged £35 for their "know how set up service" the salesman told her she "had" to pay this as it was already installed on the laptop. there was no choice in the matter. so she paid her £35 thinking it was required.

As it turns out it's just a USB stick that has boot files on it, as I work in IT I am more than capable of creating recovery media for her and backing up her files, so I headed off to Basingstoke to seek a refund. They would not budge and said it's sold as part of the laptop.

I have written to their head office to complain, I don't understand how they can "make" you buy something that's an option. in their words the software had already been installed so she "had" to buy it and now they won't refund it.

Anyone experienced this with them before?

Sounds just like the warranty con they try with the ill informed!

It will be interesting to see what the HO has to say about it, although I imagine with this outfit they will

back up the employee, more commission for them (through the sale of the 'service')

If they don't budge, then there is always the CEO, alternatively what about trading standards?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yes I don't expect them to offer a refund they will prob just apologise, it's more the manner in which they go about buisness that annoys me. Praying on ppls lack of knowledge to make a few extra quid.

Agreed, why not try it yourself, go in there looking for a laptop, get the spiel and see if they try and flog you the same?

If so then rumble them to the CEO and BBC Watchdog, just for a bit of fun...:bounce:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Very tempted to do that, last time I went in there the saleskid tried to sell me a tablet and I ended up explaining to him the difference between ARM and x86 based operating systems. He soon skulked off to next customer and left me to it.

:thumb: seems that particular store has training issues!! Well worthy of a formal complaint to H/O and the CEO...

Hi phil

As the guys said, see what comes back from Head Office, then if your still not happy write to the CEO.

Send it to:-

Mr Sebastian James

Chief Executive

Dixons Group

Sebastian.James@dixons.co.uk

Welcome to Consumer Action Group

'Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.'

Joshua J. Marine

1) CLAIM BACK ALL PENALTY CHARGES CLICK HERE

2) CLAIM BACK ALL MIS-SOLD PPI CLICK HERE

3) COMPOUNDED CONTRACTUAL INTEREST CLICK HERE

4) REQUEST CCA FROM CREDITOR CLICK HERE

5) OFT- UNENFORCEABLE AGREEMENTS CLICK HERE

6) CAREY V HSBC (2009) CLICK HERE

7) DON'T BE BULLIED BY CREDITORS / DCA's CLICK HERE

8) IN DEBT DON'T PANIC CLICK HERE

9) FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT CLICK HERE

10) SALE OF GOODS ACT-EDUCATE YOUR RETAILER CLICK HERE

11) DISTANCE SELLING-EDUCATE YOR RETAILERCLICK HERE

12) SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE

13) WHICH? TEMPLATES [/url]CLICK HERE

14) DOES YOU BANK TREAT YOU FAIRLY BCOBSCLICK HERE

15) EVERYTHING HOUSING CLICK HERE

16) UTILITY BACKBILLING CLICK HERE

17) OFGEM - COMPLAINTSCLICK HERE

18) OFCOM - COMPLAINTS CLICK HERE

DON'T GIVE UP, THIS SITE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH GUIDANCE AND EMPOWERMENT

Don't forget to donate to this site

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers

I think they roll these setup costs into the displayed price now don't they? With the actual unit price displayed in tiny text under the large price.

£35 for recovery media, thats a nice deal tbh who's the manufacturer bet they would charge 3X that, after my last experience with acer would happily except £35

Edited by mjvaj123

They rip you off, its pretty standard there............happened to a relative of mine, he paid for things he didn't need and doesn't know how to use such as online storage, etc

The recovery software is nearly always preinstalled on the hard disk and all you need is to copy it yourself - total cost about £2 for a couple of DVDs! So where does the £35 come in to it?

actually the majority of brands now will only let you create backup media to USB. HP, Sony and Toshiba still give you the option of either.

acer, packard bell, lenovo, asus all will only create recovery to a 16gb or 32gb usb memory stick.

also, hp will only allow you to create 1 set of recovery media (be it a dvd set or usb).

if the machine that was being bought was an hp or compaq,

the process if the customer doesnt want to pay for the setup at £35 is to use the customer offers button on the till after scanning the knowhow USB stick,

select £10 write off offer and then discount the £10 cost with the reason being given that its an hp presetup.

every other brand allows you to create multiple copies of recovery media,

so if the machine was any other brand, the process is simply to remove the USB stick from the box.

however, due to pressure from management (and there is NO commision, there hasnt been for years now),

weary sales staff will be trying any trick to hit their targets on setup.

the £35 is supposed to be for the cost of the 32gb usb,

the time involved and including any setup and registration of software bought

-eg creating a microsoft account, installing and registering office to said account,

installing customers internet security or printer software.

Well explained Oliver.

The first thing that should be done with all PCs be they laptops or desktops it to make a recovery setup be it on dvd or USB stick. Never rely on the recovery partition for complete safety. If the hard drive falls over, the recovery partition has gone as well.

Perhaps the question should be asked of all customers, 'can you set it up yourself or do you need help?'. It's not just a case of boot it up and away you go.

I always go with my parents when they want to buy a new laptop. I work in IT too, so know all the Ins and Outs of everything. Already have volume licences for just about all main software, so no need to buy more.

I usually keep quiet until they sit my parent down next to their sales desks and try to talk them into buying the extras. Tends to end up in a mini argument over them trying to sell repair service plans etc.

Well explained Oliver.

The first thing that should be done with all PCs be they laptops or desktops it to make a recovery setup be it on dvd or USB stick. Never rely on the recovery partition for complete safety. If the hard drive falls over, the recovery partition has gone as well.

Perhaps the question should be asked of all customers, 'can you set it up yourself or do you need help?'. It's not just a case of boot it up and away you go.

The first thing you should do is format that damn thing to rid it of all that crap software that will inevitably sod it right up. Start with a fresh install.

thats more difficult to do with windows 8 as there is no license key for windows 8 home. only pro.

the computers that have win8 home factory installed have the keycode injected directly into the bios to prevent

(or attempt to) fraud and pirated OS copies.

so if you were to use the recovery media made or the partition, it will reinstall all the factory install stuff.

you could try booting into windows 8 and choosing the option under settings to wipe and reinstall, then choosing full uninstall.

again tho, i have seen this just restore it to factory default and not actually remove anything.

best bet, it make recovery media and then download and run pcdecrapifier to remove everything you dont want, then install the things you do yourself.

also might be an idea to keep the likes of powerdvd unless you want to replace it with another dvd media player,

as windows 8 doesnt natively play dvds thru media player.

Well only on certain brands of laptops do they have a bios based CD key. Some are still stickered. Since you paid for it anyway, you could legally use a third party activator, although probably for the more advanced users.

Although, Windows 8 is terrible, buy a Win 7 license instead! :D

huh? All Windows 8 machines that have the OS bundled in will have the key injected onto the board. You won't see product key stickers on anything other than standalone copies of Windows 8. Windows 8 is fine, once you know where everything is!

huh? All Windows 8 machines that have the OS bundled in will have the key injected onto the board. You won't see product key stickers on anything other than standalone copies of Windows 8. Windows 8 is fine, once you know where everything is!

Hmm... the laptop I'm thinking of was second hand, so could have been stuck on after...