• Tweets

• hi   im having a nightmare, barrister just quit said conflict of interest if use argument of undue influence on my husband   its not actually a point im going to use in witness statements, but he says he knows about it so cant act.   i have days to get these witness st  in and i feel abandoned. he says his advice still stands, we have a strong case   im scared to do fast track court on my own.   i have seen copies of internal emails between claimant and his solicitor- they rely on the loan offer and loan agreement being considered together as one contract. (they are sent and signed seperately at  different times, but want to append offer to form 'part of' loan) .- but also quite tellingly ask each other 'is there any other agreements with their personal signatures on?'   we are arguing - loan agreement signed 'on behalf of limited company' no statute of frauds , lots of case law etc. relying on construction of contracts and interpretation case law too in full barrister advice and legal defence   my husband never signed a loan offer, condition precedent which  they want to append to a loan agreement signed  only on behalf of company its easier to argue his case.   i have signed the loan offer  11 june (proved by certificate of completion), i have email where they nagged me to sign immediately or they will delay funds-email evidence to go in bundle   then they sent loan agreement for me to sign on behalf of company a day later 12 June-(docusign evidence provided but not actual loan agreement)     which contained information and definitions i required to understand the loan offer,   i never intended any signature on a loan offer to apply to a loan agreement i hadnt been sent or seen. this would lead to an unconscionable result due to their pressure and coercian   you've seen the loan offer and agreement above, what do you think   i am need of moral support today to see if i can manage this on my own.     TIA            
    • Hi  - no this is in another town unfortunately. snotty letter, ive tried 3 times to find one, ill try again    
    • Hi and welcome to the forum.   They really wont toe the line and comply with government legislation......small claims court time...then they will listen.     Andy
    • To give you a brief overview of the matter:   I had booked my wedding at the venue for 19th July 2020. I had several correspondence with them during March, April and May to find out what options would be available to me if my wedding can still not go ahead with the 400 scheduled guests. In May they finally emailed me with an option of either rebooking my wedding to the following year; with several restrictions as to when I could rebook e.g. only on a sunday and only into a peak season month, or I would cancel and be subject to their cancellation fees which according to their contract: if cancelled within 9 months would be 50% of total costs or if cancelled within 6 months (as would have been my case) I would have to pay 95% of the total venue cost. Naturally under pressure I chose to rebook to the following year of 25th July 2021. I had to sign the variation agreement of the date which states if I wish to cancel my new date then I will be subject to cancellation fees based on my original date which is an unfair term. I  emailed them in November to inform them that it was unfair that I was not offered the option of a refund for my cancelled wedding in July 2020 and as per CMA guidelines I should have been offered a full refund. It is also unlikely that my wedding will be allowed to go ahead with 400 people in July 2021. I informed them several times how many people will be attending the venue but they stated that my booking was not for number of guests, but for a room hire only, despite them asking me the number of guests they need to accommodate on the initial enquiry form.  They are refusing to give me a full refund and are demanding I pay another instalment despite me informing them I can no longer go ahead with this booking.    Can anybody advise me in this matter I would greatly appreciate it, I am not sure whether to take this to a small claims court.
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Associates Capital now CITI from 1994 PPI Reclaim???

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 959 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Omg I give up and your so right OR ....more silly letters dispute me sending a recorded one spelling everything out. Need to write to the chief like you suggested. Could you kindly pm me the address xx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omg I give up and your so right OR ....more silly letters dispute me sending a recorded one spelling everything out. Need to write to the chief like you suggested. Could you kindly pm me the address xx
just off out allison, will look it up off my letter and send tomorrow to you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

OMG another two letters today, one to me asking for more info as unable to locate the account and one for hubby saying as he's changed address need proof.....I have already sent this info along with original council tax bill and full history. I also sent them a letter stating that it was not a credit card but a joint loan wit associates for a car. You were correct saying they'll give me the runaround OR .

Tried to ring them but there's Jo number urghh will have to send yet another letter.

I have the same letter requiring more info. Asking for info already sent. It seems they just copy-paste it to everyone without even looking through the paperwork. Can I please have the CEO address too? Thanks.

I have the same letter requiring more info. Asking for info already sent. It seems they just copy-paste it to everyone without even looking through the paperwork. Can I please have the CEO address too? Thanks.
write heading Private and Confidential and Formal Complaint, to The Chief Executive,CitiFinancial Europe PLC,Citigroup Centre, Canada Square, Canary Wharf, LONDON E14 5LB.-

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

write heading Private and Confidential and Formal Complaint, to The Chief Executive,CitiFinancial Europe PLC,Citigroup Centre, Canada Square, Canary Wharf, LONDON E14 5LB.-

Thank you, hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

extreme patience required, you need to give it at least 2 months

Well had a response back from FOS today saying that they can,t deal with my complaint....

"Based on the information you have provided it looks like we can,t consider your complaint against the business that sold you the PPI. This is because your PPI was sold to you before 14 Jan 2005 - the date when all business's selling insurance became regulated and had to follow specific rules on how they sold insurance.

There are some circumstances where we are able to consider complaints where policies were sold before 14 Jan 2005 - for example, where a bank or building society was responsible for the sale. If you think the business selling your policy could have been acting on behalf of another business,you could try getting in touch with that other business about your complaint.

What on earth does this mean...I thought there was no time limit on PPI. Can anyone help?

will do :)

Moved to PPI forum as requested.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

be prepared for a long battle on this one Allison. I had s/e ppi on my associates card from 2001, and its taken me 2 years of letter writing to obtain settlement. They actually coughed just 2 weeks ago. They initially turned down and were dismissive by claiming they and the insursers ( in my case cumberland) were not a member of the ins ombudsman scheme that preceeded the fos, saying I couldnt refer to the fos being pre dec 2001.Anyway who were the insurers in your case? and send all letters to citi by signed for special delivery. I eventually wrote to citi europes chief exec and that did the trick
it relates to this allison. I seem to remember citizenb had a thread reclaiming for a friend, even fos agreed, but without court couldnt proceed (if I remember right:!:) Fos indicating complain to the insurers if they were regulated. Pers I would keep plugging away at the chief exec

• 2 months later...
Are there any PPI experts on tonight that can advise re the quote above from FOS letter....not sure what to do x

Hi, sorry to resurrect this post and I'm not an expert but I'm also struggling with a Citi ppi loan complaint from 1994 and I wondered how you were getting on with yours?

Hi, sorry to resurrect this post and I'm not an expert but I'm also struggling with a Citi ppi loan complaint from 1994 and I wondered how you were getting on with yours?

best to start your own thread rosequeen,and give us the full story to see if we can help

plenty of sucessful claims with citi pre 2005, my own was from 2001, took 2 years to resolve,

dont be fobbed off

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you and

have been trying to claim money back for the past 2 years and

they keep coming back saying they can't find my details.

Like you they are old Associates Capital loans.

For 2 of the loans I have signed agreements, but had more than that of which I don't have the loan agreements.

I have the account numbers which are on Associates Capital letterhead with the interest paid on them for tax purposes.

This proves that the loans were with them.

Every time i try to call i go through to call centre in the Philippines and

they advise they can't put me through to anyone dealing with PPI claims and that all correspondence must be done by letter.

I think my only other option is to write to the Chief Executive at Citi Financial.

Again this is something they would not supply..

. I am now living in New Zealand so making the correspondence is a little more tricky.

Would you be able to provide me with the name of the Chief Executive and address...

I have also been to the Ombudsmen who have said they can't help me as the loan originated in Jersey and it is outside their jurisdiction.

The Jersey Financial Services Commission also can't help so I am getting fobbed off by everyone...

Many thanks Sharon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to say I'm in the same boat as you.

My claim against The Associates/Citi card for PPI was with the FOS for 2 years and then I was told by the adjudicator that they couldn't consider my complaint because CitiFinancialEurope (the Associates was a trading name for this) was not regulated prior to 2001 and was not a member of any scheme when the insurance policy was sold in 1997and therefore the FOS is not allowed to consider the complaint

. As you can imagine I was fairly angry about this having waited for so long. I asked if the complaint could be referred to the ombudsman but was told that there wouldn't be any point as he/she would only be able to decide whether the adjudicator had given me the right information, not consider the case from any other point of view. I then wrote to the CEO of CitiEurope on excellent and helpful advice given in this forum and my letter was completely ignored and simply sent on to Opus who had already turned down my complaint.

So the whole thing is simply hopeless despite the fact that I have all the necessary information - statements, premiums paid, copy of original agreement form etc needed to make a claim.

All my other PPI complaints with other banks and financial institutions have been successful with full compensation paid and no hassles but Citi is the one exception. I have been advised to write to the CEO a second time and if that fails to go to court but I'm not sure I have the fight left in me to do that

. Perhaps we should get together and start a concerted action against Citi with others in the same boat. It makes me very angry that Citi should be about the only bank to get away with misselling PPI and I'm astounded that they were able to sell insurance without regulation, without belonging to any kind of scheme such as the FOS pre 2001 and without having to adhere to any kind of professional code of conduct such as the GISC and ABI codes. Sorry to be so negative but this is my experience of Citi. Let me know how you get on.

"and if that fails to go to court but I'm not sure I have the fight left in me "

That's what they rely on

See it through

Yes I want to see it through. I'll write once again to the CEO as you suggested but if that's turned down and the only alternative is going to court I'm concerned as to how much that is likely to cost and how long it will take.