• Tweets

• If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Garage struggling with repair ****Resolved****

gpthit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The girlfriend's car broke down so we took it to a local garage we have used in the past. The guy who owns it seems to be a decent chap and gave us a price on changing the cambelt and oil filter/oil change which we agreed to.

We dropped it off on the Thursday and he told us it would be done by Friday lunchtime. Friday lunchtime came and went so we popped in to find out what was going on the (girlfriend needs the car for work which we explained at the time of agreeing to the work). The garage owner explained he was having big problems removing the crank bolt, he's tried everything but now the end of the bolt had rounded off so he couldn't get a grip on it.

He told us the car would be ready on Saturday and he would ring us, needless to say he didn't call and when we rang him he didn't answer, we rang again from the girlfriends phone and he did answer saying he was still unable to remove the bolt but would get it done Monday.

My question is if it turns out he cannot get the car fixed am I still liable to pay for his time? The car is only worth £600 and the only work I agreed to came to about £270 plusa bit extra due to the time he'd spent with the bolt which I have no problem with as long as he finishes the job.

Thanks

Hi gp

If the garage promised to fix the car for a specific date/time then they should keep to it. They shouldn't charge you extra for their failure to fix it on time.

The following applies:- Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

Further info:- http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/supply-of-goods-and-services-act-1982

There is a knack to removing tight crankshaft bolts but you need to have the correct tools and as they have rounded off the bolt, they obviously don't have the correct tools.

He will now have to weld something onto the bolt to allow removal.

No, don't pay a penny more than you were quoted. If they want to run a garage, they should make sure they have the proper 'professional quality' tools and experienced mechanics who know how to use them.

Thanks for the replies guys. That's pretty much what I thought, I'm going to call in tomorrow and see what's going on. He did say he was planning to weld something onto the bolt in order to free it but I'm just concerned that if it's taken him this long already that he might not be able to do it.

The guy is an experienced mechanic who's been there for years but he claims that he's never had problems like this before. The car has done 110k and never had a cambelt change (yeah yeah I know!) so the bolt has never been taken out since it was new.

The guy seems quite reasonable but I want to be ready in case the final bill is much higher than agreed, if it is I will refuse to pay it but if he has the car/keys can he refuse to return the car back if I don't pay?

Thanks

Hi gpthit

All sorts of stuff you can do if that happens, but you don't need to worry about that, as it hasn't happened.

Thanks for the replies guys. That's pretty much what I thought, I'm going to call in tomorrow and see what's going on. He did say he was planning to weld something onto the bolt in order to free it but I'm just concerned that if it's taken him this long already that he might not be able to do it.

The guy is an experienced mechanic who's been there for years but he claims that he's never had problems like this before. The car has done 110k and never had a cambelt change (yeah yeah I know!) so the bolt has never been taken out since it was new.

The guy seems quite reasonable but I want to be ready in case the final bill is much higher than agreed, if it is I will refuse to pay it but if he has the car/keys can he refuse to return the car back if I don't pay?

Thanks

Ha ha yeah I know I get carried away sometimes! I just hope he gets the damn thing fixed if anything untoward happens I will post it here.

Thanks for the help

Er sorry... if you believe what you are reading here you will be mistaken.

The garage gives a quote based on an assumption usually dictated by a book time. The book time given makes no allowance for difficulties which might be experienced due to the conditions the car might have operated in and would be entitled to charge more if they so wished to overcome the problem. However, good practice would be that they gave you a heads up that this would be the case and the option as to whether or not you wanted to continue.

If you stick to the letter of the law then you have an estimate, not a quote and there are limits which apply to estimates. Estimates are given on what is known at the time and usually subject some degree of flexibility.

It is not true that having the correct tools will make the job easy. Correct tools only work when there is not a problem.

Personally as the garage concerned seems to be acting in a reasonable way at the moment I'd be inclined to actively engage with them without being confrontational as this will put them on the back foot. As you seem to have a good relationship with them ask them to explain the problem and ask where you stand.

Things don't always go to plan through no fault of anyone so the responsibility needs to be shared.

Have to admit it doesn't say quote, so yes the final price could be different.

Of all the hundreds of cam-belt changes on all ages of cars that I have done, never once have I damaged the crankshaft bolt. Some have been a right sod to get off because of tightness, but making sure the tools fit as they are designed to and knowing more than some teacher told you means it might take five mins longer than normal.

Hi Helios and connif,

I do appreciate the fact that it has been a bad job for him and I'm quite prepared to pay a little extra for the time it's taken. The original price was asked for by me as a "quote" as I was shopping around at the time, the garage owner gave me an exact figure of £211.70 for the belt change.

Given you both sound experienced in this area what would you consider a fair charge for the extra time? I'm thinking no more than an hours labour, I just want to know where I stand if he takes the proverbial.

Thanks

Hi gpthit

You dropped off the car on Thursday, he said 'it would be done by Friday'.

On Friday he says 'it will be done by Saturday, he was having big problems removing bolt'

on Saturday he says ' it will be done by Monday, he can't remove the bolt'.

He's given you several dates as to when the job would be completed and at no time has he stated that it will cost any more then the original amount indicated. Keep us updated.

Was the fact that he said he could get the job done by 'Friday' a consideration for giving him the job?

just hope that he can remove the bolt without damaging anything.

If he's an honest mechanic should only round it up to £250 which is still a very reasonable price for a cambelt change.

Make sure he changes the tensioners and water pump at the same time.

Changing just the belt is bad practice and most failures are due to tensioners.

Water pumps are cheap and once he's there changing it would take 3 minutes and would avoid re-opening everything if it failed.

Maybe it didn't include tensioners and water pump, that's why it's so cheap.

Hi gpthit

You dropped off the car on Thursday, he said 'it would be done by Friday'.

On Friday he says 'it will be done by Saturday, he was having big problems removing bolt'

on Saturday he says ' it will be done by Monday, he can't remove the bolt'.

He's given you several dates as to when the job would be completed and at no time has he stated that it will cost any more then the original amount indicated. Keep us updated.

Was the fact that he said he could get the job done by 'Friday' a consideration for giving him the job?

He did mention on the Friday when I went around that it might cost "a bit more". The fact that he said it would be done Friday was the main consideration as my girlfriend relies on the car to get to work and public transport is not an option due to the location and distance. By shear luck I'm off work today so I could give her a lift in but after that we're stuck if it's not done!

The thing that's set me off is the fact we told him all this and he promised to ring us and let us know but didn't.

just hope that he can remove the bolt without damaging anything.

If he's an honest mechanic should only round it up to £250 which is still a very reasonable price for a cambelt change.

Make sure he changes the tensioners and water pump at the same time.

Changing just the belt is bad practice and most failures are due to tensioners.

Water pumps are cheap and once he's there changing it would take 3 minutes and would avoid re-opening everything if it failed.

Maybe it didn't include tensioners and water pump, that's why it's so cheap.

He did say he would be changing the tensioners etc but when I asked about changing the water pump he said that there's no need to on this model (Focus1.6 Zetec)?? Does that sound right?

Price wise he does come in well under other garages in the area and has done a decent job in the past so fingers crossed he finally gets it sorted.

Hi gpthit

I think you need to be firm, the job hasn't gone as the garage had anticipated, but would other garages have had the same problems removing the bolt, maybe a bit more research in that direction. A few phone calls might give you further information that you can present to the garage owner.

He did say he would be changing the tensioners etc but when I asked about changing the water pump he said that there's no need to on this model (Focus1.6 Zetec)?? Does that sound right?

No!

Changing the water pump at the same time as cambelt and tensioners is standard practice and a must if you ask me.

For the sake of £60/£70 and 5 bolts you potentially avoid opening everything again should the pump fail and possible disastrous consequences to the engine.

All's well that ends well. He charged a bit extra but also topped up the car with anti freeze and did a little welding job on the exhaust all included. Seems he is a decent bloke after all (even though it took him a while to get it done!).

It's a shame that all the rouges out there give everyone a bad name and make people like myself automatically assume they're going to be ripped off : (

Glad it all worked out well for you. If you really want to know how much you saved, give the main dealer a ring and ask them how much they will charge, it will probably bring a couple of deleted expletives to be expressed and a sharp intake of breath.

It's a shame that all the rouges out there give everyone a bad name and make people like myself automatically assume they're going to be ripped off : (

Yes it is indeed. It's not helped either by some members of CAG steaming in with SOGA or the supply of goods and services. These legal tools should be used as a last resort.

Most garages are in fact decent businesses the problem being we only hear about the bad ones which tarnishes the reputation of the good ones.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of registration/regulation for the industry and those who work on cars. For example there are more computer programs and control systems in a New Range Rover than an Airbus A380 yet in a few years to come would you book your a A380 into an unregistered repairer and then fly on it?

I don't think so.

Current dealers are not much better either but most manufactures are on the case now with graded technicians only allowed to do certain jobs.

Good result though and just goes to prove that sometimes things can work out for the better if dealt with in a non confrontational manner.

I have a local garage I use and they've never ripped me off. In fact they replaced a valve 6 months ago which had caused my car to overheat. The valve went again recently so they replaced it FOC and refused the money I offered towards labour or as a tip.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Really? I haven't steamed in with anything, might be an idea to read what's been written. I gave 'gp' the law and then I advised 'lets wait and see what the garage owner does'. Unfortunately the following doesn't make good reading, but I suggest you should read it anyway:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24778368

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/press_office-20130313

Yes it is indeed. It's not helped either by some members of CAG steaming in with SOGA or the supply of goods and services. These legal tools should be used as a last resort.

Most garages are in fact decent businesses the problem being we only hear about the bad ones which tarnishes the reputation of the good ones.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of registration/regulation for the industry and those who work on cars. For example there are more computer programs and control systems in a New Range Rover than an Airbus A380 yet in a few years to come would you book your a A380 into an unregistered repairer and then fly on it?

I don't think so.

Current dealers are not much better either but most manufactures are on the case now with graded technicians only allowed to do certain jobs.

Good result though and just goes to prove that sometimes things can work out for the better if dealt with in a non confrontational manner.

• 2 months later...

A good

I don't think so.

A good reply mate, this one of my pet topics. I'm not allowed to fit a gas fire in my house because I'm not Gas safe registered, and yet I can ask a gasman to overhaul the brakes on my Ferrari. Both jobs are equally lethal if not carried out correctly. That's why there's so many cowboys in the motor industry. I agree, there should be registration for mechanics. The Institute of the Motor Industry have a voluntary scheme ( for which I'm registered ), but I'd like to see it become a legal requirement. By the way, I don't actually own a Ferrari !