UK Student loan referred to DCA - now living in Canada

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me on what would be best in this situation! I have read many of the helpful threads here but I am still unclear on what to do next.

I have a student loan with the SLC (Student Loans Company) from the UK, from 2005 to 2008, for an amount around 12K GBP. I left the UK in 2011 and have since been living in British Columbia, Canada as a permanent resident. I initially deferred loan payments. The last one-time payment I made was in January 2013 (around 250GBP). My parents live at my previous address. I have not yet informed the SLC that I moved abroad. I intend to live in Canada permanently.

I am unable to make payments currently, but may be able to make small contributions in a year's time. I am now quite concerned since the latest letter states the SLC have referred the account to a DCA (Drysdensfairfax). I assume they still think I live in the UK.

I am aware there are reciprocal agreements between the UK and Canada. Is it possible a DCA here may try to locate me and request the loan amount? Could this impact my credit rating here in Canada or anything else? Should I at least contact the SLC or DCA to inform them I am no longer living in the UK? Is it possible I may receive a CCJ, and what can I do if so? My parents are also concerned that my unpaid loan may impact them, but is that possible?

Thanks for any help!

SLC don't farm out debt collection

if drydens have it

that means its been sold on

whos drydens client?

but no thers nowt can hurt you out there

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and no theres nowt they can do that can hurt your parents either

debt is pers not by address

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ahh, so SLC still own it. Theyre just getting their muppets for hire to chase you. Now, will they be able to take action as you arent resident in the UK. The costs incurred for them to chase you in canada could be more than the debt is worth.

From your info, they dont have your canadian address, so IF ( and its a big IF) they got a CCJ against you, you may have trouble getting a set aside. But even if they get a CCJ, they couldnt enforce it as you arent in the UK.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

as your parents are living in the house

any CCJ claimform will be sent there

you simply reply to any muppet that tries

that you are no longer resident

you cant be given a CCJ if you are not in the country

ok this is somewhat debt avoidance

but as the gov't will be selling off your SLC loan pretty soon for peanuts anyway.

as with all post 98 loans

pers i'd not bother doing anything.

dx

and they

You should write to SLC explaining your circumstances, with some evidence of you being a resident of Canada. You should go through the process of declaring your income in Canada and if you are earning enough should pay what is due. If you don't do this, you may come to regret it at some stage. Either you will have to move back to the UK and then end up in trouble, with a huge amount to pay in arrears, with court actions. Or SLC debt buyers will try to enforce the debt where you are in Canada.

You should note that the New Zealand government has recently made deliberate non payment of a student loan a criminal offence, so they can stop people visiting New Zealand at airports. You cannot rule out a UK government deciding to do this in the future.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 year later...

I was hoping that some of you might be able to answer my questions regarding this also.

Soon I will be moving to Canada as a student, I will be self-funded, as I'm currently saving up for this. Recently my student loan has started to be deducted from my earnings I think it's around £2.00. I will be able to start working part-time after 6 months of studying there.

My question is what will happen when I stop working here and move abroad to study there and apply for a student visa here?

I have had a very bad experience with the SLC/student loans company, with the backlog in 2009, which prevented me from continuing my studies. So they are not my favourite organisation, and I have little sympathy concerning them, as a result.

If I inform them that i'm moving there, and will be self-funded, knowing just how unscrupulous they are, I wouldn't be surprised at them trying to extract a big portion of my savings, all of which I will need to live and study there. I feel very angry at this organisation for their gross negligence, and feel that I am morally just for not wanting to pay these scumbags a penny.

they cant raid your savings.

dx

and they

Just found this:

If you weren't resident in the UK and weren't personally issued with the summons to leaving for Canada the CCJ cannot be registered in a Canadian court, according to the Reciprocal Enforcement of Judgements act:

Limitation on registration

3(6) No order for registration shall be made if the court to which application for registration is made is satisfied that,

(b) the judgment debtor, being a person who was neither carrying on business nor ordinarily resident within the state of the original court, did not voluntarily appear or otherwise submit during the proceedings to the jurisdiction of that court; or

© the judgment debtor, being the defendant in the proceedings, was not duly served with the process of the original court and did not appear, notwithstanding that he was ordinarily resident or was carrying on business within the state of that court or had agreed to submit to the jurisdiction of that court; or

You just complete the relevant form for SLC to confirm your change of circumstances and to defer your repayments. Provide your Canadian address when you know it and that should be the end. They will contact you at regular intervals to ask whether your circumstances have changed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread