Change of work pattern, no letter sent to the house whilst off with dissability issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry about the long title but I have tried to cover everything. I am due into a meeting next week regarding the issue I am about to explain and would like to know if anyone can help with questions or advice I may put forward.

I have been driving for a major supermarket retail company for about 3 years, recently I was made aware there were to be work pattern changes. At the time of the changes and voting I was off work having a new socket made for my artificial leg which had not been changed for 6 years and I have recently lost weight which all in all caused the socket to become uncomfortable. Because of the physical nature of the work it needed to be comfortable to work with.

Whilst off work I was telephoned by a union rep and told of two shift patterns one being a fixed shift and one of a 18 week condensed version of what I am doing now he told me that it was unlikely that I would get the fixed pattern and I would be better trying for the 18 week pattern my vote had to be used on the day of the call so it was about a 5 minute conversation. So I opted for the 18 week pattern believing that this was all that was available.

On my return to work I noticed there were actually 5 shift patterns three which would of been eligible for me as a 39 hour week driver. Because of my seniority eg length of service, time off work, accidents etc I would of not been eligible for the fixed shift but I would of been eligible for a 4 on and 2 off shift which given the choice at the time of the phone call I would of opted for and got. I noticed on the new rota that three drivers below me on the seniority list had voted for the 4 on and 2 off pattern and had got what they wanted. One of the drivers in particular was actually on the new rota team to organise things. I am not very happy how things have gone and am in the process with having a meeting with a line manager, union rep who made phone call and the driver who was on the rota team who was in the room when the rep made the call and it was supposed to be on loud speaker at the time.

A couple of questions

Should letters have been sent out to those absent given the fact that the changes were not equal through the drivers and were varied patterns

Being disabled should I have been sent a letter as I was not off ill or sick but through a disability issue

Who should of sent the letters the union or the company

What is my best way forward for representation for myself I am in the union but reps do not challenge other reps

The rep who called me as only just been appointed and as to date not gone on any courses

If anyone can let me know of any questions I can put forward please let me know. The company are aware of my disability I have never claimed disability and never asked to be treated differently.

But this time I feel that I,ve been shafted

On my return to work

I did speak to HR in the week and they said they were going to speak with the transport manager and line manager but it doesn't look if anything came of it as the meeting is still scheduled for next Friday. I was considering contacting HR in head office and perhaps speaking with the union head office.