Tax Rebate?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm in the right section of the forum, if so can someone help please.

I am looking for a little assistance on whether I might be entitled to a tax rebate and if so, how much roughly etc.

I only worked 1st April to 5th August last year but I seemed to have paid more tax than I should have.

In these months I probably earnt around 15k gross and from bank statements etc I seem to have taken home 10k.

On this income however it seems I have paid around £1200-£1500 tax however as it seems to have been based on my previous years earnings of 37k gross.

I only worked part of the year and started claiming JSA in November which I know is taxable. Does anyone know where I stand etc?

I am so confused with speaking to HMRC about it and when it should come back.

Thanks

Rough fag packet calculations:

Earnings April-Nov = £15000

JSA for Nov-April = £2200

Total income for 2013/14 = £17200

Tax allowance for 2013/14 = £9440

Taxable income: £17200 - £9440 = £7760

Assuming 20% basic rate, tax paid = £1552

On top of this, there will be National Insurance contributions of somewhere around £1135.

Bearing in mind we still have a few more weeks till the end of the current tax year, these figures are only very rough. In addition, the first week of earnings back in April 2013 would fall in to the previous tax year (2012/13).

What I would suggest you do, is some time towards the end of April, you contact HMRC and ask for a review of all tax paid in the last two years - That would be for 2012/13 and 2013/14 - Pull together any P60 forms that have been sent to you by your previous employer(s) along with end of year bank statements showing how much interest you have received. If you have had any earnings from other sources (share dividends, rent on properties, capital gains, etc), you will need supporting documents for these too.

If you have a mortgage and/or other liabilities that would attract tax relief, you may be better off speaking to a qualified accountant. If you are single, with fairly simple savings and no mortgage, HMRC should be able to do the calculations reasonably quickly.

Please note: I am not an accountant, nor do I have any in depth knowledge of tax affairs beyond my own dealings with HMRC.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi,

I've worked things out a little more closely.

It seems my gross pay per month was around £2750 so I was looking at a total gross pay between these periods of £13750 and on top of that my JSA for the additional periods would equate to around £1200 so in total for the year I am looking at £14950.

I am a single chap, no mortgage, no savings etc etc that would help tax relief either.

I was on quite a big tax code due to earning 37k the year before and most months I paid £393 tax roughly so am looking at £1950+ tax for the year.

Would I be eligible for a rebate on these calculations?

Thanks