Staff Travel Loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I recently left my job at the Royal Bank of Scotland - no banker bashing please as I'm in the process of taking them to tribunal.

As an employee I applied for a staff season ticket loan to pay for my annual train ticket with the balance being repaid through my salary over a number of months. Since leaving the company I am now receiving numerous telephone calls from their collections department threatening a default if I don't pay.

The only agreement was an internal form signed by my line manager at the time, there was no credit check or anything like that.

I would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed with this as it's my understanding that without a CCA they can't enforce this on me?

I can upload a copy of the document if required.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Difficult !

My thinking is if it was an informal staff loan with no interest charged then there would be no need for an agreement.

Were you able to cash in the season ticket?

As it stands, I see they have a case for repayment.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Have a look at page 9 here: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft140.pdf. It seems that this agreement will be exempt from the CCA.

I don't know if they can register a default, but they could certainly sue you to get the money back.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 1 month later...

I don't think a default can be registered - not without a CCJ, but I am sure they can ask for the money back. My employer offers a similar scheme and if I were to leave, for whatever reason, I would expect to repay the loan in full. I haven't signed any credit agreement but the terms of the advance were made clear in our standing personnel guidance when I took it out.

These loans are quite a good perk, especially if you work in London. My having an annual ticket that costs nearly £4k I save a lot on what I would otherwise pay for a monthly ticket.

Hi wndzr

Is there anything in the employee handbook regarding loans, or what happens when your employment has ended?

If you feel like 'Whistle-blowing', we are here for you.

What is the principal reason for not paying this loan back, aside from being in dispute over your job? Is it that you can't, or don't want to following your enforced departure?