Mortgage after bad credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, ive managed to get an excellent credit rating after years of hell, debt ccjs, which have all now disappeared off my credit file (3 years ago). Myself and my partner are wanting to purchase a property and have recently been approved for a mortgage via a mortgage broker. However Im worried now that when we complete the application form this Friday i will be asked about historical credit problems.

Do I have to declare these, including the voluntary repossession of my house in 2005? What would happen if I did? What would happen if I didn't?

Thanks

I would think that if you are asked then honesty is likely to be the best policy. It would appear you have a decent credit history and all negative data is off your credit files for some while.

I will ask others on the site team if they know if you are likely to be asked awkward questions :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would think that if you are asked then honesty is likely to be the best policy. It would appear you have a decent credit history and all negative data is off your credit files for some while.

I will ask others on the site team if they know if you are likely to be asked awkward questions :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The reason I ask is that during my preliminary meeting with the broker he did ask if I had been repossessed or had any CCJs. I responded that I had had a ccj a long time ago, he asked if it was longer than 6 years to which I said yes, he replied saying that was fine. I didn't state that I had been repossessed as technically I hadn't been, and whilst browsing the net this afternoon I looked at a virgin mortgage application form which was asking those types of questions (although I'm applying for a Santander mortgage).

Just anxious

If you've already been approved for the mortgagelink3.gif, the forms will just need signing - the mortgagelink3.gif company will already have all the information they need to make the decision to offer the mortgage (that's how I remember it)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

oh ok. Thanks. So to be clear how do the mortgage company vet you? Via credit checks presumably? Does an approval mean that an underwriter has already looked at you based on the info the broker supplied?

Voluntary repossession is still a repossession. You were asked, you need to declare it, otherwise, if it comes to light that you were asked and omitted a response (which the broker will have taken as a 'no' and undoubtedly put that on the paperwork which you will sign and declare as the truth for your application for the monies), you will have obtained your mortgage by fraud, which is a crime. Is it really worth it? Tell the broker that a former property was repossessed - it might have an effect, but better that than risk an issue in the future.