• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

what to expect?

snowy101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have just had news today that we are probably going to lose our jobs.

What can i expect when i sign on, any do`s & don`ts . I don`t want, nor can i afford sanctions , so i would like a guide through the process please.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

You refer to "we" - do you mean that you and a partner are both likely to be laid off? Or are you a single person? Another question that will help folks to advise is whether you were earning enough to pay NI contributions between April 2011 and April 2013. Finally, and you don't have to answer this one but knowing will help us give better advice, is the situation redundancy rather than dismissal for misconduct or such like?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi Antone,

when i said " we", i meant the work force. Please ignore that part, i will be making a claim for myself only. Work situation is redundancy. NI contributions are all up to date. I am hoping not to make a claim but with the job market the way it is i will decide if i make a claim or live of my savings [ not enough to affect a claim] for the time being as i really cant face signing on. I signed on a few years back after redundancy & hated it, i believe it is much worse now so that is why i am asking for advice. Many thanks

OK, so with a complete NI record for the relevant years, you might well be entitled to contribution based JSA, which you can receive for up to 26 weeks. The reason you left your job should not cause any issues.

So, I guess what you're asking, really, is not so much for technical advice about how or what to claim, but more to have people help by explaining what it's like. Is that correct?

If so, I personally don't have recent experience, though I did sign on for a while, ending my claim about a year ago. So could I ask other folks here who claim JSA or have done so recently to post about their experiences and offer any general pointers?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Seems a silly point, but suggest you think carefully before telling them you have a car if applicable. My brother got paid off last year, aged 59 had worked his entire life, and was only eligible to claim just JSA CB nothing else due to his wife's income. Advisor mandated him to apply for a NMW job he was suitable for with a 3 hour total drive there and back according to google maps. After petrol , car wear and tear costs he'd have been worse off at the end of each month than just being paid JSA. Fortunately he found other work before he had to return to sign back on.

You'll be asked to agree and sign a job seekers agreement, things like hours you're available etc, how many jobs you need to apply for etc. also the time to ask for any reasonsalbe adjustments you might require on hours and type of work if you have any child care needs , or health conditions which limit the type of work you can reasoanbly do. , Read it carefully and make sure you are ok with what they put in it before signing it. Becsue it's due to non conformance with job seekrs agreemnt that sanctions arise from.

With regard to the Universal Job Match system they now want everyone to use , most people advise don't agree to tick the box which gives their staff access to your activites on that website. And don't be late, not even by a couple of minutes for any of your future appointments.

Hope you find other work soon.

Thanks for the advice , can i make the claim over the phone or is it a form filling exercise. I would rather the phone as the forms will delay any claim & can be a nightmare to understand.

Unless they've changed procedure, you can make your claim over the phone - a clerk will talk you through the form. I did this some years ago and it was actually fairly straightforward. However, they will ask you to attend the office in person at some point to sign forms, which obviously can't be done over the phone.

I'd suggest you read the various threads in this forum to get some idea of what to expect at the DWP. Provided you take care and know the guidance, it need not be too bad - though I would always suggest avoiding any contact with the DWP where possible, but then that would require you to live off your own savings; not an easy decision to make as you'll have worked long and hard to get those savings and naturally wish to keep them. Claiming benefits now is nothing like it was 30 years ago (ah, what simple days!). The system gets more complicated and annoying as it gets older.

Regarding savings, up to £6,000 is ignored by the DWP, up to £12,000 will result in some benefit reduction and over that amount will disqualify you from benefits. Please check up on these figures - they were correct when I became unemployed but may have changed. (If you're over the savings limit you can do what I did and withdraw sufficent to bring you under the limit :) ) They will ask you to state your amount of savings, though I have no idea how far they go to actually check it.

I'm sure others will add their advice, best wishes.

Seems a silly point, but suggest you think carefully before telling them you have a car if applicable.

I would agree with this completely. Would also add: Look carefully at your local bus timetables and add a good two hours to the service start/finish times - This then becomes your "hours available". e.g. First bus round here starts at 06:45 Mon-Sat (09:00 on Sun), and last bus back is at 23:15 (18:00 on Sun). Hours available are 09:00-20:00 Mon-Sat, no Sundays.

"Hours available" for work do not include travel time when the JCP mandate you to apply for a job 90 minutes away.

You can also apply for JSA online which will save you a phone call - An advisor may try to call you back or you will get a "we tried to phone you" letter - This will be to verify a few minor details and book you an appointment at the local Job Centre where you will need to show a few documents (bank balances, passport, proof of address, etc).

One last point: I require public servants and their subcontractors to address me as Sir - It reinforces the point that you are the client and that they are there to provide a service.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Update.

As suspected i/we are being made redundant, did the claim online & have a JC interview on Monday. Anything i should be armed with regarding UJM?

I have manged to get 3 interviews lined up for next week so hopefully this claim won`t be needed, I wont be telling them about a car because i had a company car with my job , so i can rightfully tell them i now don`t have a vehicle. I am not mentioning my wife's car ,as that is none of there business.

MR P you have given sterling advice on here but I really must take you to task on your advise to bring a passport as part of ID to bring to a JSA meeting

First of all looking at the OPs post it is clear he has a car so would have a driving license however there is NO legal requirement to produce photo ID in order to get JSA - A British citizen who does not drive or go abroad does not legally require passport or DL and when there is no legal requirement to actually have photo ID there can be no legal requirement to show it, speaking as someone who has never held photo ID ( and never intends to get any) I have in the space of the last 5 years claimed JSA been employed by two different companies, bought and sold property with the help of a solicitor and estate agent, opened a new bank account and registered at a new GP all situtions where at first I was told I MUST have photo ID.

A lot of people read these forums to get advice not just the person who starts the thread and there could be people reading your post and panicking thinking they wont get JSA if they dont have a passport

I showed a copy of my Birth and wedding certificate plus my P45 and a credit card statement when I signed on and that was fine

I don`t need to officially sign on as:-D fortunately, i have just been offered & accepted a new position after my interview yesterday. A better job in salary & location. Thanks to everyone who gave advice & good luck to all those looking for a job .

I don`t need to officially sign on as:-D fortunately, i have just been offered & accepted a new position after my interview yesterday. A better job in salary & location. Thanks to everyone who gave advice & good luck to all those looking for a job .

Congratulations!

*Cue music from 'The Great Escape'* :)

Glad to see things have turned out for the better. Best wishes in your new job from us all.