Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2542 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I'm new here and hoping I can find some help and advice.

We have several debts (some in my husband's name but most unfortunately in mine).

Some of which are over 10 years old.

I've been maintaining payment arrangements with the several collections agencies dealing with them for very small amounts

(between £5-£10 a month) for years now.

Now I'm in the situation where I have recently separated from my husband mid Jan and am now a single parent, starting over at 40+.

We are putting the house on the market but there will be very little equity left in the property once the mortgage (and arrears) are paid off

and what small amount is left looks like it may be distributed min 60% to me 40% to my future ex.

To move on properly and have a future for me and my son I want to wipe the slate clean of all the stupid money mistakes we have made while being together.

So I need to approach all of the collections agencies to ask for early settlement figures.

Debts are as follows:

£2445 (ex overdraft in my name which was originally with HSBC/First Direct)

now with Robinson Way this debt is 10+ years old

£1,738 (unauthorised overdraft from an old Halifax account in my husband's name)

also with Robinson Way This is from a couple of year's ago.

£5,344.83 (A Halifax Loan in my name which was paid regularly til my husband's redundancy)

this went into default and has been in the hands of Drydens Fairfax Solicitors

£2868.38 (an old HP agreement with Chartered Trust for a car which went into default)

this is 10+ years old now with Mackenzie Hall

Since the split I have spoken with all of them to let them know my current circumstances

and all have agreed to put the accounts on hold for 30 days until it was clearer what may be happening with my personal circumstances.

That 30 days has now ran out and the calls have started happening to chase me up.

I'm not wanting to avoid speaking with anyone but I don't want to set up repayment plans

- I want to ask what the minimum amount is they'll accept to wipe the slate clean.

I am going to contact Step Change for advice but saw lots of advice on the debt forums here

and thought I'd join to ask if anyone could advise on what my next move should be.

I am self employed, working less than 16 hours a week and am looking into what benefits help I can receive

now I'm going to be a lone parent and am currently living with my parents with my son to give me some breathing space

to save so I can rent a new home.

We need to sell our house asap to release what equity we have.

This will then hopefully clear our debts and leave a small amount to give us a degree a financial security for the short term future.

Although I know these creditors will want their pound of flesh

I need this to be the smallest amount possible because it'll directly impact on the amount of money my and my lad have for our new life.

Thanks in advance for any help :-)

I suspect none of these debts show on your credit file anymore so are not harming you.

I also suspect you are being cash cowed on all of them.

esp the overdrafts.

sadly, it seems, you've been under the DCA's spell for years.

you do realise, they ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and have NO SUCH LEEGAL POWERS....

i'd from today sstop phoning them.

they'll say anything on the phone to get you paying them.

and ofcourse it can never be proved they said things like we can seize goods/kidnap your budgie/make you homeless

which of course they cant.

as an example

go phone Chartered trust tomorrow

ask them the DIRECT QUESTION

has any of the money I have paid mucky hall got through to you...surprise coming...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, it's all a big mess I know.

I know collection agencies have no legal powers but even if I stop calling them they're not going to stop calling me.

Plus if I ever want to get my credit rating back to normal

I have to do something as have been advised they're impacting on this.

rang Step Change today .

.took me through the usual income and expenditure and advised me to send their template letter (which they've emailed me)

offering a reduced monthly payment of £5 a month to each.

I asked about what I should eventually offer in terms of full and final settlement figure

and the guy I spoke to said they have a dept which can do this for me

and they would look at offering 70%.

Yeh, that knocks off some of the money but I've seen threads on here where people have been advised to offer 15%...??

Where do I stand regarding the 2 debts which are over 10 years old?

Surely the collection agencies bought these debts for a pittance anyway

like you say so they would accept far less than 70%!!?

Confused.com!

Still no clearer on this... :-x

..thinking of requesting CCAs for the really old debts. Do you have any advice on how I can go about this..is there a template letter somewhere? Also if I do this what are the next steps? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Edited by lashy13

you MUST get a CCA request for EVERY DEBT YOU PAY.

[unless its a mobile phone or bank account debt.]

if you don't get one back within 12+2 WORKING days

you stop payment.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for this link dx.

Much appreciated.

I'm going to send one CCA request to MacKenzie Hall (relating to a HP debt which is 10+ years old).

I think i can dig out the original CCA for one of the debts as is just over 5 years old

- a Halifax loan I defaulted on (now in hands of Solicitors Drydens Fairfax..

have been paying them £5 a month).

What do I look for on this original CCA?

Once I get a response from MacHall/receive a CCA back from them what is usually the outcome from this/what do I do next?

Edited by lashy13
missed out info