Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

HFO/Turnbull Rutherford - Advice Needed

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2417 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


I was wondering if someone can offer any advice.

I deferred on a credit card in my youth. Around £1500. This got passed on to HFO Service. After some contact I started paying it back. I payed around £800 back when I realised that they ahd added an extortionate amoun of interest on.

I went to citizens advice etc ad they contacted them and all went quiet for a year or so. I sent them a CCA & SAR letter but have already payed some money back. I heard nothing apart from letters from Turnbull & rutherford. They have recently contacted again to say I still owe approx £1100.

I really want to close this out and put an end to it once and for all. I was wondering if they ever accept reduced offers to close the issue as I know they can not legally ad there own interest on even thought they do.

I understand theyre licence is under review but would would happen to my debt if their licence as revoked.

How will this be afffecting my credit rating and how do I repair it?

I want to end this issue once and for all but what is the best way to do this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they have not responded to the CCA request, point this out and wait. They cannot enforce any debt in absence of an unfulfilled valid s78 CCA request, and the account should be placed in dispute – there are example letters to lodge a dispute in the templates library.


Have you received regular statements, showing the balance, as required by law? If not, they can’t charge interest (and can only do so if the original T&Cs allowed for it).


I would forget your credit rating for now – you’ve admitted you got into debt, and for them to change this and report the situation unfairly would be wrong. Equally, if they are showing you owe more than it should day, that needs correcting. If you paid it off, your CRA file would show it as satisfied but the default marker would remain from six years from when the original creditor placed it. When was this? Was it a Barclaycard? What does your credit file report?


More info on the history of the account would help. For example, who claims ownership – HFO Capital or HFO Services?

  • Confused 1

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009


If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

as donkey states if they have failed to respond to a legal request for a CCA then put the account in dispute. This will give you time to post up all the relevant information you will need to resolve the issue.


When did you send the 2 requests - and are they overdue, not clear from your post. Lets just take things one step at a time and keep a log of what you do and get back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CASH COW alarm bells are ringing here!!


How old is this?

You say you got into difficulties in your 'youth', how long was it between the time you didn't pay to the time you actually started again?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!



Link to post
Share on other sites

The credit card was with Barclaycard in 2005.

I first made a payment to HFO in mid 2007 but only statred paying regularly by DD in 2009 - 2011 until i got a statement in Mid 2011 (the only 1 ive received) stating after paying £700 off a £1500 debt that i still owed HFO £1900. I have not made any further payments. That when i contacted the CAB and took it from there.

I sent a SAR to Barclaycard in 05/2011 - Citizens advice Bureau also sent a SAR to them in 07/2011

I sent a CCA to HFO in 05/2011

Citizens advice bureau contacted HFO and since then ive heard nothing until a letter in 10/2013 & also 1 in 02/2014 both from Turnbull Rutherford. These letter now say the outstanding balance is £1000.

I understand that i owe the debt, and i'm keen to resolve it for good.

Incidentally the statemnent (in 2011) states the debt is to HFO Services but the letter in 02/2014 states its to HFO Capital


If i put the claim in dispute, but what would that actually achieve? Would it not just suspend & prolong things?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. As BB states they are treating you as a cash cow. if you put the account in dispute you can stop any payments until we can find out the exact position of the accounts. If you are paying then never by DD - SO only. have you had replies to cca and sar?


you will need to do a CRA CHECK - lots of information on here how to obtain - check out dx100uk and the information at bottom of his entries - sorry forgot what you call this section.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have ordered a CRA with Experian. Im just waiting of the Pin arriving.



I want close it out. essentially remove if from my credit file & limit the negative affect it has, the best way to do this? im not sure

I'm not paying and haven't paid since 2011. Never received any response to the SAR or CCA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You won't get it removed from your credit file, unless it is data being processed/recorded incorrectly.

Plus you would need another three years of good history on your credit file to obtain any decent credit.


Whoever you sent the SAR to, you should remind them that they have still failed to comply (did the £10 PO get cashed?)

Give them a further 7 days in which to supply the info before you will refer your formal complaint to the ICO for non compliance.


At the minute it is all very messy, lots of clowns have had their pound of flesh out of it, and it appears that someone has still been adding interest or fees/charges when they have no legal right to do so, if it has been terminated of course?


Pay no-one anything, this account is most definitely in dispute.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...