Next Directory PPI

Baz1994
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That is interesting, the FOS seemed to think that it was being sorted out soon.

I found my own original statements and when l opened the account there was no PPI it was added later on without my authorisation, l would not have asked for it.

Cups

Same here cups, found original statements from day one and looks as if insurance was added after a couple of months.

Had another up-date from FOS yesterday advising that they were still collating information in order to make a final decision ?????

Who know's but will keep you posted.

:wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an old account with Next in which went into arrears in 2005 and debt was passed to a debt recovery company.

I wasn't in the position to pay the full balance outstanding and also couldn't agree a repayment plan. Then they offered me a 50% full & final settlement offer, so my parents lent me the money and I paid the requested amount.

I received confirmation in writing that their client (Next) had accepted the offer and the balance was nil.

Anyway further to a PPI complaint with Next / Underwriters and submission of SAR details, I noticed on the statement of account provided that there was still an outstanding debt amount for the other 50% ?

So I contacted Next asking why this was so and they basically replied that it was a partial settlement and the balance was left in case I decided to pay the remaining amount at any future time ???

SAR failed to provide any debt letter / correspondences but I still had information.

My question is do I just leave it, as last payment was September, 2005 or do I tell them to amend their records accordingly ?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Same here cups, found original statements from day one and looks as if insurance was added after a couple of months.

Had another up-date from FOS yesterday advising that they were still collating information in order to make a final decision ?????

Who know's but will keep you posted.

Just an up-date regarding my complaint that is currently with FOS.

Well in the meantime I have been trying myself to establish a link between Underwriters and Next and received a further response today from them with the attached original Phoenix Assurance PPP details indicating that PPI was automatically added for a peace of mind etc.

So I forwarded details to the FOS adjudicator mentioning that I was trying to address the agency relationship between the two parties and received the following interesting reply.

"Thank you for your email – it has been added to your case file.

There may have been a financial relationship between Next Directory and the underwriters. But a financial relationship alone is not enough for us to conclude to that the underwriter should be responsible for the actions of the seller. We would need to establish an agency relationship i.e. where Next are carrying out the sale of PPI on behalf of the underwriter.

There is currently an example case with the ombudsman, where we are investigating if the insurer can be held responsible for a sales by Next Directory. As it stands, that example case is still on-going. We have made some progress, as the ombudsman issued a provisional decision on our authority to consider cases such as yours. However, the insurer disagreed and made some further submissions, which are now being assessed by our service. Once this example case is resolved, we should be in a better position to advise you if we have the authority to consider your complaint.

We will keep you updated on any further developments."

I am a bit confused re their comment in establishing that Next carried out the sale of PPI on behalf of Underwriters. Surely this has been proven by Next admitting they sold the PPI issued by Insurers ? Or am I missing something ?

Would be happy for any assistance in responding to FOS and if anyone else has a similar situation.

Cheers

Baz

Well in the meantime I have been trying myself to establish a link between Underwriters and Next and received a further response today from them with the attached original Phoenix Assurance PPP details indicating that PPI was automatically added for a peace of mind etc.

So I forwarded details to the FOS adjudicator mentioning that I was trying to address the agency relationship between the two parties and received the following interesting reply.

There may have been a financial relationship between Next Directory and the underwriters. But a financial relationship alone is not enough for us to conclude to that the underwriter should be responsible for the actions of the seller. We would need to establish an agency relationship i.e. where Next are carrying out the sale of PPI on behalf of the underwriter.

There is currently an example case with the ombudsman, where we are investigating if the insurer can be held responsible for a sales by Next Directory. As it stands, that example case is still on-going. We have made some progress, as the ombudsman issued a provisional decision on our authority to consider cases such as yours. However, the insurer disagreed and made some further submissions, which are now being assessed by our service. Once this example case is resolved, we should be in a better position to advise you if we have the authority to consider your complaint.

I am a bit confused re their comment in establishing that Next carried out the sale of PPI on behalf of Underwriters. Surely this has been proven by Next admitting they sold the PPI issued by Insurers ? Or am I missing something ?

Would be happy for any assistance in responding to FOS and if anyone else has a similar situation.

Cheers

Baz

Any thoughts anyone thanks.

Cheers

Baz

Correct me if I am wrong regarding FOS comments re financial relationship between Next and Underwriters - If the policy existed as it does, surely Underwriters would be responsible for the actions of the seller as they par-took in the underwriting of the policy ?

Next collected the premiums from customers and then passed on payment less their commission to Underwriters. I also have confirmation in writing that there was remuneration between the policy administrator and Underwriters.

Any comments would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Hi Baz,

I have now found some statements that show when l opened my account that there was no ppi, they just added it to the account without telling me or asking me.

When l spoke to the FOS a while ago l thought it was coming to a close, but it still going on.

Cups

Hi Baz,

I have now found some statements that show when l opened my account that there was no ppi, they just added it to the account without telling me or asking me.

When l spoke to the FOS a while ago l thought it was coming to a close, but it still going on.

Cups

Hi cups

Yes exactly the same as my case, no PPI when account opened then automatically added later. I have now located some of my first statements in which confirm this.

I am still awaiting further from FOS, who last time of asking were still investigating as they had similar cases that were being looked at in order that they could make a final decision. This has been some months now and I will be chasing again this week. Why they cannot make their minds up is beyond me, the policy was missold end of and surely insurers were responsible for selling the policy.

I found my adjudicator quite rude when I questioned their predicament, as I felt that I had provided enough evidence to substantiate my claim and yet insurers have still failed to respond accordingly.

I believe I have been patient enough with this case but I do not want to upset them too much as I feel I still may have a chance with this one.

I will keep you posted and please do the same.

Cheers

Baz

• 2 months later...

Sorry to raise this old post again but didn't want to start a new thread.

Things are starting to progress with my complaint with the Financial Ombudsman and I am just doing a bit of housekeeping.

On reviewing my SAR details under Next History of Account it states the following:

140214 "Called LDS today they advised that Full and Final payment taken on 10.10.05"

Now I have confirmation of this in writing from the DCA but as mentioned in my first post I questioned this with Next early last year. They have responded that the bad debt amount still shows on the account ledger in case I decide to pay at a later date.

My questions are,

1) Can Next still recover the debt now or at a later date ?

2) If any reimbursement is forthcoming from another party can they still offset the amount ?

3) Should I still be sending something to Next disputing the balance being stated ?

Thanks for looking.

Hi Baz

Any news on the Next front at your end. I have not heard from the FOS for several months.

Seems like they were meant to be deciding this matter last year but nothing has happened.

Cups

Hi Baz

Any news on the Next front at your end. I have not heard from the FOS for several months.

Seems like they were meant to be deciding this matter last year but nothing has happened.

Cups

Hi Cups,

Well I chased FOS adjudicator a couple of weeks ago who advised that they were awaiting further outcome of a particular court case that was in relation to my situation.

Last week I received a letter from FOS now confirming that underwriters have agreed that they were also responsible for the mis-sale of insurance but now they are considering how to proceed with reimbursement.

I know it sounds positive but I am not counting my chickens until some sort of offer is received.

It will probably take another few years to negotiate :-o

If I was you and if your complaint is with FOS, I would just send them a brief e-mail requesting an up-date with your complaint.

Good Luck and I will keep you posted of any further developments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Baz, Got a claim form in the post yesterday from The Phoenix Group, basically asking me to give them the details of the claim. They were passed my details by the FOS. Seems like they are the ones who have been told to pay up if there is a liabilty. I would think they are doing it bit by bit. Cups

Hi Baz, Got a claim form in the post yesterday from The Phoenix Group, basically asking me to give them the details of the claim. They were passed my details by the FOS. Seems like they are the ones who have been told to pay up if there is a liabilty. I would think they are doing it bit by bit. Cups

Cheers cups for the heads up.

I will get onto FOS and I will keep you posted.

Today I received an up-date from FOS.

They apologise for the delay but confirm again that PA (GI) / Phoenix have taken the responsibility for the sale of PPI. They also state that they are currently looking at how the policies were sold and maybe a while longer to conclude my complaint ?

Did FOS tell you cups that uwrs were sending you a claim form ?

No, they said that they had reached a decision on who was responsible, but may take a while for them to get to everyone ,

Maybe l was just ahead of you in dates etc,

Cups

OK cups and thanks.

I will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cups,

I today received an e-mail from another different FOS adjudicator advising me again as what was said before regarding Underwriters admitting responsibility.

I still have not received any sort of claim form from PA (GI) Ltd and FOS have said that they would contact me once they have decided how to handle this type of complaint ? They have also confirmed that this may take sometime and will up-date me within the next 6 months :shock:

Have you had anything further ?

Hi Baz

Sent off the form just over two weeks ago but not heard anything back yet???

They said they had got my details from FOS and it was about the Next PPI.

Maybe they are doing it in waves?

Cups

Thanks cups.

Was there any mention on how they are going to calculate redress ?

Hi there, I'm new to posting but have been for a considerable time following this matter and have to hand it to the originator for persistence.

I tried for months writing to Next attempting to get back PPI without success.

Finally wrote to ombudsman hoping to glean from them who the underwriters or group was responsible.

They were about as useful as a ashtray on a motorbike obviously never read my letter thoroughly and asked me to supply that info!!!

Eventually with no other road to go down and unlike cups was forced to give up.

My position was quite clear and unambiguous had received no notification of insurance and being part time only, 12 hrs per week and my husband self-employed would have been excluded in any subsequent claim which Next did not dispute.

Given the previous posts with the info available can some one please advise if I should press in the same manner as Next a claim with Phoenix As assuming they have allegedly admitted responsibility.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

it might be worthy to start a new thread

of your own

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...