Tesco Petrol fiasco

snowy101
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wanted to get a clarification on the law.

My next door neighbour called in at Tesco to fill up in the works van [ well known firm & van is sign written] .

Filled up & went to pay,

he had forgotten his wallet.

Informed the lady behind the counter & immediately he said she barked " stand over there".

Made him wait while she served everyone in the shop,

then told him to produce some ID.

He reminded her he had forgotten his wallet ,

she then produced a book & asked him for his details.

Normally he would have signed ,

but her attitude narked him.

He asked if he was legally obliged to sign ,

she called the manager who informed him if he did`t sign

he would call the police.

He repeated the question & after a lot of side stepping

the manager admitted it was not a legal requirement.

He explained that ,

you have the van reg,

the company name,

CCTV of my face & i live a 5 minute drive away .

The manager then informed my neighbour that if he left the station he would report it as a theft.

He left , got his wallet , returned & payed.

He does not know if the manager phoned the police ,

so he wants to be prepared if they do come a calling.

The firm have now told the drivers that they can`t fill up at Tesco as a result of his treatment

I would say no of course he doesn't have to sign but by leaving the petrol station without paying he is leaving himself open to an accusation of theft. Even returning and paying doesnt mitigate that. Signing may have demonstrated that there was no intent. Sometimes it doesn't payto be bloody minded

The petrol station had listened to what he said so there was no intent and therefore any accusation of theft would fail. Signing turns it into fraud instead of straightforward theft should he have not returned.

As it was a signwritten company van the staff there should have used a bit more sense.

Thanks for the reply's,

what is the legal standpoint ?.

Why should anyone have to sign a book ,

it is not a legal requirement .

They can ask you to sign ,

but you can decline,

you still have every intention of paying.

If they had called the police when he was there ,

he has committed no crime,

in order to pay he has to return home.

It might seem pedantic but he has a point.

It might seem pedantic but he has a point.

And although Tesco might seem pedantic do they not also have a point?

In signing a document agreeing to return to pay this at least acknowledges that a problem has occurred and that the individual has agreed to returning to pay and to any conditions stated should they choose not to return? There is also a liability on the attendants if they do not record these instances correctly - they may be personally liable for drive-offs, or could be investigated under an allegation of allowing purchases on credit if the details are not fully recorded.

I am sure that they get a lot of 'I forgot my wallet - I will be back in a minute - you have my registration number' type errors.

I don't see why it is such a big deal to sign a form..

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

If you feel that strongly about tesco actions make a formall complaint

Personally I think there is nothing to complain about

Time to move on and forget about it

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

And although Tesco might seem pedantic do they not also have a point?

In signing a document agreeing to return to pay this at least acknowledges that a problem has occurred and that the individual has agreed to returning to pay and to any conditions stated should they choose not to return? There is also a liability on the attendants if they do not record these instances correctly - they may be personally liable for drive-offs, or could be investigated under an allegation of allowing purchases on credit if the details are not fully recorded.

I am sure that they get a lot of 'I forgot my wallet - I will be back in a minute - you have my registration number' type errors.

I don't see why it is such a big deal to sign a form..

I agree, i thought it might be interesting from a legal standpoint, i think both needed their heads banged together.

If you feel that strongly about tesco actions make a formall complaint

Personally I think there is nothing to complain about

Time to move on and forget about it

If you care to read the OP properly, you will see i could not make a formal complaint as i was not involved .

Morrisons do the same thing. If you try and leave without signing and providing ID, then the police are called. Provide ID and sign the form and they give you a day to pay.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

From a legal standpoint....there isn't one. There was no intent to deprive. An allegation could have been made whilst the payment was outstanding but any cause of action ended when payment was made and accepted.

The only purpose of the form would be to accept that payment was outstanding and that subject to conditions (payment being made) the retailer would not instigate further action.

In the old days you used to leavr a security of some sort - a watch for example, but with fuel at the price it is I suppose not many would have property on them to cover the cost!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I have already mentioned on another thread - staff working for these large national/international companies are not allowed to act on their own initiative. They are made to follow certain Head Office procedures to the letter - the staff have to do what they are told. You are not arguing with another Human being when you try to state your rights - you are arguing against a list of rules! The staff member who you are confronting will not, cannot act against these rules for fear of losing his/her job or position.

It is frustrating and annoying - but the big companies will not change their policies and they do not seem to care if they lose customers.

I have already mentioned on another thread - staff working for these large national/international companies are not allowed to act on their own initiative. They are made to follow certain Head Office procedures to the letter - the staff have to do what they are told. You are not arguing with another Human being when you try to state your rights - you are arguing against a list of rules! The staff member who you are confronting will not, cannot act against these rules for fear of losing his/her job or position.

It is frustrating and annoying - but the big companies will not change their policies and they do not seem to care if they lose customers.

Well that is exactly what has happened , the firm has instructed all drivers not to use Tesco. They are a very big national company & all the drivers filled up at Tesco because it was very close to the depot.

If you care to read the OP properly, you will see i could not make a formal complaint as i was not involved .

Ok if your neighbour wants to make a complaint that will get them no where contact tesco then

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill

Move on

I wish you luck in your quest I feel you and your neighbour will need it

Your mate the mistake, not tesco. They wanted something they could enforce if your mate didn't come back. How do they know the van wasn't stolen. If your mate was planning to come back, as he did, signing would have done no harm. Don't see the problem. I agree with ihb.

Edited by ims21

Ok if your neighbour wants to make a complaint that will get them no where contact tesco then

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill

Move on

I wish you luck in your quest I feel you and your neighbour will need it

Asking questions to clarify a point in law [ to establish if there is one] is not making a mountain out of a mole hill. It is called , " asking a question " . The situation was sorted out, i asked a question about the legal standpoint.

Edited by ims21

There is no legal standpoint. Tesco followed their process for people who make the mistake your friend made. It's not like they tried to sign him up to 1500% apr to pay back what he owed. Jeez, we are becoming more and more like America each day.

There is always a legal standpoint when you purchase goods . I found the situation interesting as to what are both parties rights are in this situation as regards to the seller not being paid , the customer not having the funds to do so , the consumer was not willing to enter into a contract that was not legally mandatory. Effectively, the goods have been consumed & a stubborn impasse has resulted. Clarification on the " legal standpoint " was & is of interest to me.Personally, i would have had no problem signing the form.

If you want to know something, you ask. It is called, gaining definitive legal knowledge, this site is full of such Q&A`s, in fact, you could say it was built solely for that purpose. Is that simple enough for you to digest. That is a rhetorical question BTW.

name + shame. use power of social media and question tesco on facebook. this is really bad practice.

i had similar situation with sainsburys but they were really good and understanding, i came back within 30 mins to pay, i think i toped up £50 and paid £30 cash because i left my card at home.

name + shame. use power of social media and question tesco on facebook. this is really bad practice.

i had similar situation with sainsburys but they were really good and understanding, i came back within 30 mins to pay, i think i toped up £50 and paid £30 cash because i left my card at home.

Name and shame for what?

You wouldn't fill up your shopping trolley in store then ask to take the good home and come back to pay later!

Can't see what the garage has done wrong.

Bad practice ?

Think you will find it is called running a business

Something that they seam to do well without your expert advice

Bad practice ?

Think you will find it is called running a business

Something that they seam to do well without your expert advice

so you think its accepitable to run a business when the following incident happen

she barked " stand over there".

i think not, if you were in that that persons shoes you would be left shaken

You wouldn't fill up your shopping trolley in store then ask to take the good home and come back to pay later!

Can't see what the garage has done wrong.

what a silly example.

if i had a shopping trolley and i forgot my money, i would put item back or ask them to hold it aside, this cannot be done with petrol.

either way, the attitude of that person was not on. mistake was made when the driver forgot his wallet, and even if they did not return , police would have handled that nicely..

The best thing you could do is never ever step foot into a tesco store again you and your neighbour

I am sure tesco can do with out your type

You are looking for a argument

In future make sure you and your friend neighbour I can't be bothered to reed back should make sure you have money

Before taking goods

Perhaps you should take up consulting one offer your services to the big 4 as you obviously thing they are in the wrong

so you think its accepitable to run a business when the following incident happen

i think not, if you were in that that persons shoes you would be left shaken

what a silly example.

if i had a shopping trolley and i forgot my money, i would put item back or ask them to hold it aside, this cannot be done with petrol.

either way, the attitude of that person was not on. mistake was made when the driver forgot his wallet, and even if they did not return , police would have handled that nicely..

They are running a business paying millions of pounds to the economy employing thousands of people

Not bad practice at all

I think the only issue here is the attitude of the attendant - it must have been very embarrassing to have been "barked" at. However, the attendant had a "paying" customer to attend to first.

I guess (s)he could have suggested that you just wait whilst they served the next customer and then dealt with the problem you had created.

People do leave home without their wallet/purse - at the same time, there are those who are not genuine.

IMHO, the only thing you would have to complain about would be the attitude of the attendant and again IMHO, they might just have been frustrated that a problem not of their making has screwed up their day.

If I were you, I would forget about it and move on.

What I do not want to see, is any more hassle on this thread.. please.

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks