• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Business holding my goods to ransom

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Not really sure if in the right section, but I am sure someone will move it if not:

So,

I have an old bike frame and sent it away to a company to be resprayed in the original colours and also for them to recreate some grahics/stickers and put these on.

In as short a time line as possible, i will note the main points. Bear in mind the communication was almost all one way, with hardly any replies coming back to me, but they had been highly recommended for their work and I have seen a lot of it and it was what I wanted.

I and they had no problems with recreating the colours I wanted, but the stumbling block seemed to be the graphics. I eventually identified the correct style, and in both email and telephone conversation I advised on the size and positioning of them on the frame.

The situation was then left via my emai communication in August 2013 that I would wait for a "mock up" of the graphics on the frame to approve them before spraying, application and lacquering over the top.

Come November I called to ask why there was such a delay in me receiving a mock up for approval and after a strained conversation, it was left with me verbally confirming that I would wait for the mock up to be sent to me as the other person had been unsure of the colouring of the lettering (all they had to do was ring or ask in the 3 months it took before I called them again).

Fast forward to February 2014,and I get a call letting me know that the job was "all done".

This took me by complete surprise because I was still waiting for some kind of email that I could "approve" before moving forward.

To boil the last part down, I said I was unhappy that he had gone ahead and completed the job basically to his own design and he said it was my fault for not providing the correct proofs for the stickers (I was relying on him to do this for me as he was meant to be recreating them!!!)

He basically told me to pay (for a job done incorrectly) or he will keep my bike frame to "showcase" his companies work.

He was impervious to me telling him that he had got it wrong and would do nothing about it unless I paid extra over and above the actual cost thus far (I have not paid anything so far).

I was going to pay but then I asked for some more pictures of the finished work because I only had the one and a few other parts had been done as well and I wanted to confirm the quality.

I then received an email last night (7th March) telling me the frame was going to be stripped back to bare metal and sent back to me as A. Someone else could do the job and B. He didn't want my money.

When I replied this morning and said that was OK with me and to let me know when he has ready to send the parts back and to let me know the postage cost, he replied by telling me that if I thought I was getting my frame back then "I was wrong" and he thought "I would have liked that option" and it was now "your move"

Has anyone got any advice as to whom I should contact because it isn't going to get sorted amicably clearly :sad:

Send him a lba detailing everything and what you want in order to be rectified. Give him a set time and follow it up with mcol.

Note. Only do this if you have full ecidence of what happened and WILL follow through with court action.

Technically it is theft but its a grey area which is why you need to exhaust the civil route first.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Send him a lba detailing everything and what you want in order to be rectified. Give him a set time and follow it up with mcol.

Note. Only do this if you have full ecidence of what happened and WILL follow through with court action.

Technically it is theft but its a grey area which is why you need to exhaust the civil route first.

Well I do have my email to him requesting the "mock up" for me to view and agree, I don't have any email confirming this information because it was never sent to me. Regarding the placement and size, this was done over the phone and the example I referred to regarding what I wanted was another bike that he had done previously and had the graphics on file. I then sent a follow up email to him confirming the phone call and awaiting the email. At the end of the day, there needs to be some kind of communication where I can see what is to be done and agree it. This was never sent to me, and that is why I am not happy

I only want my items back in a state where they can be sent to another company to do the job properly. This would require all the paintwork applied being removed and only bare metal remaiing. Is this something that the LBA covers?

Edited by crantinope
additional info

You can copy your phone records to show what day and time you called them. As for stripping the frame back, that would depend on the condition it was sent in as it should be the same. If you do intend to get a new paint job elsewhere then it doesnt really matter but if you get a rusty/damaged frame that is unusable then it would be criminal damage to do such a thing (but an absolute sod getting the police interested) so I would be saying that any loss of integrity to the frame will result in a claim for the damage done by stripping the paint off.

As stated, if you dont get your frame back you must follow this up otherwise it will have been utterly pointless making threats of legal action where you have no intention of carrying them out.

Hi Crantinope,

In your favour, you have the email of 7th March which confirms the intention to strip and return the frame to you. I think this is key to your case.

Work out if you are dealing with the individual or the business as this will be important if you take court action. Name the wrong Defendant and your efforts will be wasted.

As suggested, give the guy 14 days to arrange to have the frame returned to you in good condition, painted or stripped, in accordance with his email. Keep the rest of the summary as brief as possible.

I would do this in writing, sent by RM Signed For delivery.

If you want to post a draft here first, feel free.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Crantinope,

In your favour, you have the email of 7th March which confirms the intention to strip and return the frame to you. I think this is key to your case.

Work out if you are dealing with the individual or the business as this will be important if you take court action. Name the wrong Defendant and your efforts will be wasted.

As suggested, give the guy 14 days to arrange to have the frame returned to you in good condition, painted or stripped, in accordance with his email. Keep the rest of the summary as brief as possible.

I would do this in writing, sent by RM Signed For delivery.

If you want to post a draft here first, feel free.

Thanks.

I am a bit confused about the person/business angle TBH. I initially contacted the website sales email address as it is a website offering the services I required. Obviously I have been dealing with a single individual (who does actually run the business), but it is the number on the website that I call when I needed contact. Does this mean I am holding the business responsible? With regards to the letter, do I title it as a LBA and just include what I was expecting the outcome of our agreement to be, what has actually happened to make me unhappy, and what I now expect as a resolution. i.e the return of my property in an undamaged state as was initially offered but then withdrawn.

Cheers.......

Hi Crantinope,

When you have exchanged emails with the guy, how has he signed off the emails exactly.

Do you know the guys name and the business name if he uses one.

The letter will be just a simple, concise letter setting out the basics of what you expected, agreed, etc. And what happened. And what you need now to resolve the matter.

If he fails to do what you want, then you'll send a LBA after 14 days, giving a final 14 days to resolve.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Crantinope,

When you have exchanged emails with the guy, how has he signed off the emails exactly.

Do you know the guys name and the business name if he uses one.

The letter will be just a simple, concise letter setting out the basics of what you expected, agreed, etc. And what happened. And what you need now to resolve the matter.

If he fails to do what you want, then you'll send a LBA after 14 days, giving a final 14 days to resolve.

Is this any good? It seems to waffle a little. Do I need to mention anything else?, or do I need to start again?

Business address line 1

Business address line 2

Business address line 3

Business address line 4

Business address line 5

For the attention of John Smith, today’s date

I am writing this letter to confirm the current situation of my complaint as I see it. You have completed a project for me in respect of a frame respray and restoration. Unfortunately, I am not happy with the completed work for the following reason(s):

• The decal placements, size and positioning were applied to the frame without my prior agreement via phone call, email or letter.

• We had spoken previously in both August and November 2013 by telephone about the size and positioning of the decals and I had backed this up with an email request for a “Mock up” of the frame to this effect. I was of the opinion that you understood the requirements and would contact me to finalise this.

• Instead, no contact was made and a decision was made (not by me) to go ahead with the completion of the project.

You have refused my request for the work to be rectified without further financial cost to myself, as you are of the opinion I provided you with no “proofs” of the decals to be used or indeed their size. I refer back to the phone calls of August and November where I asked you to replicate the size and positioning of the decals used for the Blue/Yellow Pioneer, but using the font we had agreed, namely Mistral.

I am seeking the return of my property that you are holding, namely a Raleigh frame & fork, a handlebar stem and a bottle cage. I refer you to your email of Friday 7th March, where you advised me that you would be returning my items once they had been stripped back to bare metal.

This is now the only course of action that I am willing to accept as you have failed to deal either sympathetically or effectively with my complaint. I expect to receive a reply to this communication by 14 days from the date on this letter

Yours sincerely

My name

For the attention of John Smith, today’s date

I am writing this letter to confirm the current situation of my complaint as I see it. You have completed a project for me in respect of a frame respray and restoration. Unfortunately, I am not happy with the completed work for the following reason(s):

• The decal placements, size and positioning were applied to the frame without my prior agreement via phone call, email or letter.

• We had spoken previously in both August and November 2013 by telephone about the size and positioning of the decals and I had backed this up with an email request for a “Mock up” of the frame to this effect. I was of the opinion that you understood the requirements and would contact me to finalise this.

* I waited 3 months for the mock up to be sent to me for approval as agreed.

• Instead, no contact was made and a decision was made (not by me) to go ahead with the completion of the project.

You have refused my request for the work to be rectified without further financial cost to myself, as you are of the opinion I provided you with no “proofs” of the decals to be used or indeed their size. I refer back to the phone calls of August and November where I asked you to replicate the size and positioning of the decals used for the Blue/Yellow Pioneer, but using the font we had agreed, namely Mistral.

I now require the return of my property that you are holding, namely a Raleigh frame & fork, a handlebar stem and a bottle cage. I refer you to your email of Friday 7th March, where you advised me that you would be returning my items once they had been stripped back to bare metal. I am not bothered whether you strip the frame back to bare metal or leave it as it is. In any event, I will have to have the work done to an agreed specification by another workshop.

This is now the only course of action that I am willing to accept as you have failed to deal either sympathetically or effectively with my complaint.

Please confirm within 14 days how you intend to return my frame, etc to me. I will pay for the cost of carriage.

If you fail to return my property to me in good condition, I will take county court action for either the return of the property or for compensation for it's value.

Yours faithfully,

Yes, you did. :wink:

Have you checked on whether you should pursue the individual in his own name, as opposed to using the business or trading name.

I suggest using the individual's name may be safest, if that's how he's communicated with you in the emails.

Edited by slick132
added 2nd para

• 4 weeks later...
Have you checked on whether you should pursue the individual in his own name, as opposed to using the business or trading name.

I suggest using the individual's name may be safest, if that's how he's communicated with you in the emails.

Still not sure, here is a link to the website I contacted (the email address on the website anyway)and any subsequent phone call were made to the number on the website too:

The second link is what I found on "company check". Could you just explain the difference between pursuing the individual or the company?.

Oh, and as an update, I sent the letter and received no reply. I have not got cold feet, I am just waiting for the company I work for to supply hard copies of the conversations I had in August and November where we discussed the options and agreed the course of action (I forgot that we record all incoming/outgoing calls and that is the phone I used).

http://www.graphicshack.co.uk/

http://companycheck.co.uk/director/915455795

As the Company Check site suggests the Ltd Co is dissolved, I suggest you address your next letter (which will be your LBA) to Mr G A t/a Graphic Shack.

Send the same letter as before but, this time, use a heading of Letter Before Action.

• 2 months later...
As the Company Check site suggests the Ltd Co is dissolved, I suggest you address your next letter (which will be your LBA) to Mr G A t/a Graphic Shack.

Send the same letter as before but, this time, use a heading of Letter Before Action.

Ok, so it has got to MCOL time I suppose. The question is, do I have anything to worry about?. I have copies of emails requesting a view of a mock up before signing off, I have the infamous email telling me I was going to get my frame back fully stripped to bare metal, and I also (finally) have digital copies of the calls last August and November, and on both occasions I requested/said I would await the "mock up" which never materialised.

I have tried to read up on the MCOL and the protocol, and clearly the first step is to register the claim and then worry about the evidence when it is requested.

Anything else I should know, read???

Cheers......Nick

Hi Crantinope,

I suggest you draft your POC and post a copy here for checking over. It needs to be a very brief summary of events, and what you now require from the Defendant. As you say, don't include any evidence at this stage.

Are you reasonably sure of the title being the right one to use, ie Mr G A t/a Graphic Shack.

Hi Crantinope,

I suggest you draft your POC and post a copy here for checking over.:-)

I shall get my thinking cap on.

Are you reasonably sure of the title being the right one to use, ie Mr G A t/a Graphic Shack.

That is definitely his name, and the business address is the only address I have for him, so I presume I would name him and not the business as the defendant, with the business address as the correspondence address. Correct?

I'd use Mr G A t/a Graphic Shack unless you have anything better.