No hot water for 3 months (Scotland)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there. Writing this on behalf of a friend who is experiencing problems with her letting agents (who operate on behalf of private landlord).

Basically has not had hot water for 3 months since she reported it in November 2013. She does however get hot water from the shower.

She was finally able to get hot water today but because the water tank is so small she had to heat it twice as she wanted to run a bath. (not enough hot water for the bath)

She asked her letting agents if she was due any compensation for being without hot water for such a long time despite her phoning them about it multiple times.

She was told that she had hot water via the shower so no compensation is due.

Is this true? (Shes based in Scotland if this makes any difference)

Another thing the letting agents do is let workmen etc into my friend's flat without letting her know....i thought that they had to give notice of this?

thanks for any help :)

She has had health problems. But she has phoned the lettings agents and each time she phones she was given an excuse (e.g. they have to get in touch with landlord to authorise work, getting part etc) But my friend certainly hasnt left it she gets fobbed off you see. I would say since November she has been in touch with them to get action at least 10 times.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi thanks for your reply. The information on those pages does not specify exactly a situation where a tenant has to wait a long time for urgent repairs to be carried out. Yes it says they can arrange the repairs themselves (if they have the money) but the repairs are now complete. I am asking if compensation is relevant because of no hot water in the flat. I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation with their landlord. Its easier if someone else has been through it and successfully brought action or claimed compensation.

If you bring legal action, the landlord / agency will retaliate and serve a notice to end the tenancy.

In England and Wales they can do that with a Section 21 which is a no fault notice. They do not have to have a ground apart from the fact that the fix term has come to an end and S21 was served, it expired: they can file a claim to recover the property and if the paperwork was correctly served, the court will grant possession even if tenant has never been late with the rent [no fault notice].

Some landlords serve notice instead of carrying out repair. Had it myself when the council got involved and viewed the property so unless they want to move..