• Tweets

• I've an idea that what this is is clearing out stock of old tech panels as there have been signs of major breakthroughs in solar tech - inc what is effectively solar paint   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021. npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279. The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills. I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this. EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.  I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.  And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CL Finance/Cohen CCJ/CO - now lowells since hoist - old GE money evans store card

hillards
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sometimes wonder what an earth these people think they are doing.

Background first:

Wife had a store card with Evans,

I was out of work for a while and card was low priority so was not paid.

Evans got stroppy, then passed debt to Lewis Group.

Eventually, Howard Cohen obtained a CCJ.

I was ill at the time and they did their usual opposing my wife's defence on the day before the hearing.

We only got their letter on the day the hearing had already taken place.

The CCJ has sat there for a number of years.

We tried to get it set aside, I can't recall just what happened but it wasn't allowed.

Cohen have sent an annual statement ever since and that's all.

The original debt was only a fraction of the amount they claimed,

that much I do remember, and was made up mainly of lots charges my wife had objected to.

Now, out of the blue, she has two letters

- one with Hoist and CL Finance on the heading, the other with Robinson Way,

same signature on both, both in same envelope.

First says that CL Finance (part of Lewis) has assigned all rights to Hoist.

They confirm that Cohen have been instructed in this mater on behalf of Hoist,

but to make payment to Robbers Way.

I know that 'Howard Cohen' is a Leeds solicitor who just hires out his name to Lewis Group

to put a legal-looking stamp on their activities.

I had the mis-fortune to work at their Cleckheaton offices at one time,

but got out when I realised what their trade was.

Back then, 'Cohen' was just another little office down the corridor,

attached to the same computer system but had a printer loaded with Cohen headed paper.

The guys in there just filled envelopes and sent them out.

all that aside - if a CCJ was obtained by Cohen (aka lewis)

- how can that be assigned to Robbers Way/Hoist ?

I know Lewis have 'gone' since being taken over.

My first thought is to continue ignoring them,

although I realise that a CCJ will not expire under the statute barred time limits.

A CCJ can't just be assigned like this can it ?

I'm now registered disabled and therefore on allowances and virtually housebound.

We are not in a position to pay these people anyway.

Another thought is to go back to Evans and do a SAR, get details of the inflated charges

they applied to her account (pre OFT £12 max rules)

and make a claim on that,

then IF we manage to get any joy out of that,

to offer it back directly to Evans as F&F.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

• 1 month later...

Query - We thought Evans, in the days when the wife had their store cards, were GE Capital.

Looking around for an address to write to for a SAR we're finding they now use Santander.

I think she dealt with Leeds but don't seem to be able to find a current address.

We've identified no less than 4 old accounts, all paid off, that we've traced back to GE Capital,

one of which was First National.

As the account that went into default and gained a CCJ was also an Evans card,

with charges disputed but not remedied long before court action,

we would hope to see some info about this if we SAR

and ask for details on all accounts my wife had ever held with them ?

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

what shows on her credit file?

if nowt shows, nowt to pay?

as for the charges , outside of 6yrs

very diff process

as for PPI

as soon as you hit the name GE, you hit a brickwall.

you could try an SAR to satans bank mind

but GE are still going too

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx100uk said:
what shows on her credit file?

As mentioned in #1, Cohen got a CCJ for the delinquent account

She had disputed the charges but Cohen still went ahead with court.

We'll try a SAR, the question was on where to send it as Evans Store Cards are now with Santander but hers were GE.

might be a ccj, but does the debt itself have a listing...no matter.

i'd send it to satans bank

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

We sent a SAR to GE Capital in Leeds, the last info we had on several old Evans accounts, many of which had been paid off with consolidation loans in the past, hence our multi-barrel attack on many finance companies in recent weeks :-)

Santander have responded to say they are dealing with it and we should get the requested information within 40 days of them receiving the request. Whenever that was... I'm sure it's 40+2 days from when we sent it.

Looking forward to another great pile of statements and documents to go through... Several will be paid-up accounts so I'll be looking for unlawful charges and PPI, the one that ended up with the CCJ was one I had little to do with. I didn't like the idea of getting another store card after we'd paid precious ones off, I don't think I knew she had it until there were problems... I'll see what the paperwork reveals.

• dx100uk changed the title to hoist/cohen CCJ - evans store card
  • 3 years later...

Update in March 2023! 

A letter came today from DrydensFairfax, saying the case had been paid off and they would inform the court the matter is settled :-) 

Dunno what that is about, but happy with that.

In a related matter, a PPI chasing firm took some details from my wife ages ago, last we heard was that it was being taken to court v Santander. Not heard from them in months, but may have triggered this settlement?

Possibly but lets hope you don't get a bill from the PPI company if they did successfully claim and settled the debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

same debt?

dx

and they

We have no idea if it's the same account, there were 4 claims for PPI v Santander, none of which were paid. They claimed they were over the limit of six years if I remember right. We've had nothing from the PPI claims company either, since their letter saying they were pursuing court action - months ago. 

not related then.

can we see the drydens letter please

sometimes people quote wrong words.

makes no odds you've won its dead mind.

and they

Sorry, she'd binned the letter as it's settled. Bin's been emptied since... 😞

Oh heck,

we were dealing with 4 cases with GE Capital/Santander.

Seems Drydens have written to say one was cleared, but now we have no less than 3 letters that deal with the case that had a CCJ. I've found files on an old computer that relate.

Today we've had one from Hoist to say they've transferred it to Lowells.

One from Lowells to say it's been passed to Overdales Legal.

One from Overdales Solicitors who've 'been instructed to act for Hoist. - going round in circles?

My files are for a claim to Santander.

The documents relate to a FOS form re. PPI that was never answered, par for the course with Santander.

I also have a letter to Cohens from May 2010, saying the account was put in dispute in November 2009, but again Santander failed to answer. I looks like they got a CCJ some time later, as detailed in the first post of this thread.

As nobody has bothered to make any collection on this, bar the occasional reminder letter, I take it they'll have a job on trying to go back to the courts. Then again, it does say there's a CCJ this time.

I'm reluctant to look at a credit reference as that opened up a bag of worms last time.

We're just sitting tight and will file any more letters.

nope hoist are now part of the lowells group.

if overdales have not sent a letter of claim with a reply pack wanting I&E etc ignore if/until then and comeback here.

as for the CCJ one

when was the CCJ attained (credit file)

not sure where you are getting this old batsh1t that running from debt is a good idea so dont get your credit file...

worst thing you can ever believe

never ever run from debt

backdoor CCJ's will fall.

and they

Only got a letter from Overdales to say they are dealing with it now.

Cannot remember when the CCJ was obtained. Sometime between 2010 and 2014. Was by Cohen if my records are correct.

It's not my credit file, it's the missus. She didn't want to stir anything up. There is only 1 CCJ. Everything else is well over 6 years. Will talk to her. I get the job of sorting her batsh1t out.

well if a CCJ has not been enforced in 6yrs they would have to return to court and ASK for permission to enforce it.

very very rare and of which the court would inform here

that being she has not moved since the judgement and the claimform was sent to her current address.

if you've moved in that time.

all bets are off.

as the court wont even know her correct address........

and they

:cheer2: do nothing unless a court write...me thinks this one is dead.

dx

and they

• 2 months later...

Or so I thought... Just had the attached arrive. On it's own, had nothing from the court or Lowells about this, which makes me suspect bluster rather than truth.

I'm sure we would have heard something if this really was being taken to the court, after all this time. If a charging order was obtained then they have no means of altering any interest being added, so the claim that they'll not charge anything is what leads me to suspect BS on their part...

overdales-jun23.pdf

Have you blanked out the claim number ?  They cant add 8% interest post judgment charging orders do not attract interest.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I think I've blanked anything like that out.  Claim number, balance, address, name etc.

dk100uk has said earlier that they'd have to apply to the court to enforce this, and we've heard nothing. 

I knew there was something about them adding interest that smelled funny to me.

As said earlier, unless we hear from the court...

You could check the claim number with MCOL see if it was legit likewise you could check with the Land Registry to check if a restriction has been placed.

I suspect its a threatogram to get you to respond but if neither of the above are true they would be in serious hot water for sending that kind of notification to a debtor.

Your not alone they have also tried it here:-