style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1994 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm again having a bit of trouble with my letting agent, my rent payments go "missing" every now and again and last month I had to have a bit of an argument with them to get them to look at their bank account and locate the money.

I either pay direct transfer from my account to theirs or cash over the counter directly into their bank account, either way I always put our payment reference on.

I have been asking the letting agent to provide receipts for payments I make, as sometimes they say the payment that is missing is from a few months ago (but they fail to mention it at the time it is due). So far I have not had any receipts and they are saying they don't have to provide them.

Surely I am entitled to a receipt for a payment if I request one?

Hi

When you pay over the desk, do you not get a stamped receipt from the staff?

As you pay online as well, your bank statements should show payments too. these are your proofs of payment however, I feel they should provide at the very least a statement of account every six months which you can use to reconcile your payments against.

I would have thought that emailing you a receipt would be easy enough.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I cannot see the benefit to any business not to provide a receipt or an acknowledgement of receipt of payment. I think you are particularly vulnerable for cash payments made over the counter. I would write to the landlord and advise them of this problem because I think the agent sounds a bit dodgy frankly as their receipts policy a bit wanting. I would also be asking regularly to see print outs for your account to ensure they are correct.

If you have the email address for the agent, why not email them every month, stating "payment of £xxx.xx made via online banking/over the counter. Reference number XXXX in regards to Name & Address"?

Then they have a mechanism to come back to you if needed.

Just ask very politely for a statement of account for the last year, or send them a SAR request for all the details and transactions they have. ( cost £10 but they must comply ).