BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2228 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Using a letting agency I signed up for a new tenancy and picked keys up. But when I went to move in the entrance gates were padlocked. The agents have advised me that the business below the property is in dispute with the landlord and I can't move in!! They have offered me another property which has one less bedroom and not what I want. I've no idea what I'm meant to do they say they will give me my deposit and 1st months rent back but I've already give My current landlord notice, I've also made arrangements to transfer utilities over and now have to cancel them.

So I have a new tenancy agreement a bunch of keys and less money into pocket but no idea what my next step should be!!

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Using a letting agency I signed up for a new tenancy and picked keys up. But when I went to move in the entrance gates were padlocked. The agents have advised me that the business below the property is in dispute with the landlord and I can't move in!! They have offered me another property which has one less bedroom and not what I want. I've no idea what I'm meant to do they say they will give me my deposit and 1st months rent back but I've already give My current landlord notice, I've also made arrangements to transfer utilities over and now have to cancel them.

So I have a new tenancy agreement a bunch of keys and less money into pocket but no idea what my next step should be!!

From what you posted,sounds like the letting agency pulled a fast one on you, knew before hand about the dispute with the landlord and business below the property.

But all the LA where interested in was getting your money and signature on the dotted line ...........

See what other CAG user advise, but sounds like you could sue LA/LL for breach of contract ?

Just say No to 0870 and 0845 Numbers,Use

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Either ask current LL very nicely if you can stay for another month & explain problem

or accept new temp accom offered at zero rent to you, until new LL sorts out his dispute and you can take possession of the larger flat.

LL has defaulted on his Contract to supply for which you can claim cost of equiv accom and other related costs eg phone calls to re-arrange utilities and nec storage costs for around 2 weeks.

Do not sign AST for temp accom and get everything agreed in writing pref on LA letterhead,

Not many LLs, LAs or Ts understand the concept of there being an unwritten contract to supply / occupy before the AST starts.

but legally you are in a strong position, esp if the AST was due to commence the day on/after you were given the keys.

You must mitigate your losses by finding new property asap, compensation for temp alt accom (budget hotel etc) is normally allowed for max 14 days or at Judge's discretion.

• Haha 1

You probably need to take a view on how "legitimate" your agent and your landlord are as paying out money and then finding yourself unable to get it back because agency is effectively unsuable would be bad.

Is this a genuine agent signed up to a reputable ombudsman scheme, or a tiny company with no assets and potentially a bit dodgy.

Do you know who *your* landlord is? Is it the same as the landlord who has been locked out? The landlord can be chased for breaches of contract by the agent, but that is hard if agent wont tell you who landlord is, or if landlord is a company.

Thank you for the replies, the lettings agency appears to be genuine established business they have three offices. They gave me the landlord phone number and email address and advised when I signed the ast that they just let and don't manage the property. The temp accom they offered just is not right for me, but told me rent was cheaper. I wanted to look at another property instead and they turned up without any keys so I couldn't look around what a joke!! Now I'm waiting for them to ring me with what's going on and have been waiting for 6 hours now.

Not sure what the next step will be, but I think I need to put a nicely worded letter together.

LBA sent 22/8

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

You will be able to claim all your out of pocket expenses and for compensation for the disruption/distress.

Make a note and keep all receipts for any and all expenses in connection with this, even travel, phone calls etc.

Can anyone help with how I word the letter? And what sort of compensation I should claim? Am I entitled to equiv of 2 months rent as I got no notice? Should I endeavour to contact the business tenant for a witness statement as to when the dispute started?

Regards Joan

LBA sent 22/8

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Just keep records for now, and all emails etc. until you are sorted and in a permanent place; then you can write to LL/agent for compensation, and you may possibly have to take them to court.

Keep all options open as they may well offer you some deal?