Attempt to ban companion from interview

nolegion
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I picked up the attached reports about a jobcentre manager trying to stop a claimant being accompanied at an interview from the WDTK site, and wondered whether anyone had any experience of this type of disgraceful behaviour themselves:-

http://edinburghagainstpoverty.org.uk/ (27 02 2014)

or,

http://freepdfhosting.com/344a9e2b3f.pdf

Nope. I've repped quite a few people at IUC (maybe 20-30, I mainly did appeals), and never had an issue - and none of my colleagues ever had an issue either.

An interviewee has every right to a rep. And calling the police.....unbelievable!

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I had never claimed a penny until last year so was worried about the process so when I signed on the first time I had my Father with me. They wouldn't let him sit at the desk with me until he sat there anyway and said he was legally allowed to if the claimant (me) was happy with it. They backed down. Council was fine re housing benefit and found them helpful and compassionate. JCP staff are generally rude and just robots

A friend of mine once took someone with her for a jsa appointment, the security guard let my friend in but refused to let the other person in with her, saying they had limited room upstairs so only carers were allowed. He actually blocked the way lol

Can I ask then,

Is it OK to be accompanied by someone to sign on initially and then further appointments?

Do they have to give their name? Do i have to call them my representative ?

Can I ask then,

Is it OK to be accompanied by someone to sign on initially and then further appointments?

Do they have to give their name? Do i have to call them my representative ?

See, the issue here is that you're supposed to be a jobseeker and fit for work. If you say you need someone with you in order to sign, or attend appointments, then questions would surely be asked about how you will be able to attend interviews and work if you need someone with you.

I am my sons legal guardian and everytime he signed on I had to go with him and it was me who signed his paperwork luckily he is now in work, job centre even wrote on his jsa book I was his appointee and I never really had problems with it.

My son was fit for work and looked for work his problem is with understanding paperwork and language difficulties thats why I have to deal with it all he couldnt claim unless I was with him.

I am my sons legal guardian and everytime he signed on I had to go with him and it was me who signed his paperwork luckily he is now in work, job centre even wrote on his jsa book I was his appointee and I never really had problems with it.

My son was fit for work and looked for work his problem is with understanding paperwork and language difficulties thats why I have to deal with it all he couldnt claim unless I was with him.

It's a different matter if there is a person who is the appointee as they HAVE to be there to sign.

See, the issue here is that you're supposed to be a jobseeker and fit for work. If you say you need someone with you in order to sign, or attend appointments, then questions would surely be asked about how you will be able to attend interviews and work if you need someone with you.

yes. I understand that point.

What of the disabled people who are not fit for work but who are declared fit for work by ATOS ?

My Father too underwent such severe bullying by them (it was his first time signing on and he was deeply ashamed and genuine) - he ended up on the sick and drunk himself to death.

I would like to think I could have gone in with him to sign on for morale.

Clear33

What of the disabled people who are not fit for work but who are declared fit for work by ATOS ?

My Father too underwent such severe bullying by them (it was his first time signing on and he was deeply ashamed and genuine) - he ended up on the sick and drunk himself to death.

Clear33

People who are not fit to work but fail an ATOS assessment, should be appealing and claiming assessment rate ESA during the appeal period, not signing on. Of course this is made harder now by mandatory reconsideration.

There are lots of reports of poor behaviour towards claimants by some front line advisers and work programme advisers. sadly there is a type of person - the bullies of this world - who will sniff out the vulnerable people and target them. It is awful, and can happen in a jobcentre, in a job, in a school, in a family.

I'm sorry your father wasn't able to get the help he needed, it must be a terrible loss for you.

Clear33

Although it's too late for your father, and I am very sorry for your loss, people should know that they can have someone to support them when they attend Jobcentre interviews. This person could be a professional adviser or simply a friend or relative.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

People who are not fit to work but fail an ATOS assessment, should be appealing and claiming assessment rate ESA during the appeal period, not signing on. Of course this is made harder now by mandatory reconsideration.

There are lots of reports of poor behaviour towards claimants by some front line advisers and work programme advisers. sadly there is a type of person - the bullies of this world - who will sniff out the vulnerable people and target them. It is awful, and can happen in a jobcentre, in a job, in a school, in a family.

I'm sorry your father wasn't able to get the help he needed, it must be a terrible loss for you.

It was like watching a slow motion suicide. Very painful over many years for all. He had abundant peace in death though as I felt it from a distance the moment he died. That sublime peace stayed with me for months.

I do believe if he had not been bullied at the job centre, things would have been very different.

He was a sensitive man. I dont think thats often acknowledged.

Does the person i take with me have to divulge any information about themselves such as name, d.o.b. Address occupation and so on?

There is no legal requirement to identify yourself to anyone unless you are being questioned (in a limited range of circumstances) or arrested by a police officer.

With the above in mind, a companion is under no obligation to provide any information about him/herself. However, it would be reasonable to provide a name and state the reason for being there - This could be no more than "I am Joe Blogs and am here to provide support and advice for Clear33". Note: The DWP have a duty of care to towards the claimant and to protect their privacy and ensuring that the companion is acting in the best interests of the claimant.

Please read this post: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419889-Benefit-Claim&p=4492304&viewfull=1#post4492304

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mr.P :)Still in Financial Limbo. Stuck between being too ill to sign on and after being too ill to claim benefits...I am now vastly improved and improving day by day...except for the few days rest i need each week. I just cant face the hassle of claiming illness benefit as I have a fluctuating physical problem which doesnt squash into a claim form readily. Also if the tests are utter nonsense too and simply dont apply to real life events in the work place.So I have been in a pickle for a good number of years now. However I am feeling light at the end of the tunnel and hope to be able to maintain a few part time hours per week shortly. Although last time I said that I had a severe relapse and so Knocking on lots of wood :)I just dont feel able to sign on though either. I havent had a holiday in over 15 years and feel like I have just battled for my life. I am not ready to be intimidated and belittled by the benefits advisors yet (besides thats a Mothers job isnt it ha ha). I feel I deserve a medal lol