Mandatory Work Activity

vsl_2603
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am on the post work programme support and have been since August last year.

At my last appointment by adviser told me that as it had been six months since I started post work programme support and because I hadn't work for so long and that was the reason I wasn't getting interviews that I would be referred for mandatory work activity. I was told that unless I could find my own voluntary placement I would be placed wherever who I was referred to could place me.

I have catering qualifications that I have not used since I left catering college but have been offered a place in a local restaurant to see how things work out for me, but this would be me volunteering as they wouldn't pay me until there were sure of my skills, been told this could be a couple of months as they would place me on courses for certain things.

Would I be allowed to take this on as it could lead to a paid job instead of mandatory work activity or would the job centre put a stop to it?

Also what exactly would I need to tell the job centre?

Thanks for the help

I am sure the job centre would encourage you to take this on in the hope of a job out of it

They would not stop you they will support you and would look good in any future CV

Tell job centre what you have said here

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

I have just spoken to my adviser who told me I am unable to take this as I am only able to volunteer for community or charity organisations.

If I am unable to find a position in this area then a position will be found for me as I have now been referred to a provider for MWA.

Is this correct what I have been told or can I still take this offer as it could lead to a job but not until I can prove myself to them.

Thanks

Tell the advisor not to be so puerile!

ANY voluntary work is permissible, it doesn't have to be in such a narrow field as charity or community volunteering. He's only saying that as they will get a backhander if they push you into one of those slave labour roles.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Tell the advisor not to be so puerile!

ANY voluntary work is permissible, it doesn't have to be in such a narrow field as charity or community volunteering. He's only saying that as they will get a backhander if they push you into one of those slave labour roles.

I was told that as it was a business with paid staff and money exchanges hands for goods provided then it is not permitted.

Thanks

The whole point of MWA is to allow you to access work which will move you closer to the labour market to earn your own living.

So the words this advisor is uttering is at odds with the whole idea of the MWA...again the ONLY reason he is telling you not to take this is because they will lose money for not using the charities or communities the government has told them to.

IMO, I would go with your own best knowledge and gut instinct, if you want to go for the catering role then do so, don't let someone else control your life.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The JCP advisor is correct - There are strict guidelines on what is acceptable Mandatory Work Activity in the guidance issued to the third party providers. See Annex 1 of: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/279314/pg-part-p.pdf - Not that this is adhered to in some areas by a few of the providers... Shelf stacking in Tesco/Poundland is not of benefit to the community.

vsl_2603: If you have an offer from a restaurant that could potentially lead to employment, I would recommend going back to the JCP and ask about Work Trials - Don't take No for an answer, go over the head of the front line advisor if you have to (i.e. request to see a manager). If they still refuse, complain to your MP that the DWP are placing barriers in the way of you gaining full time employment.

If you are pushed kicking and screaming in to this MWA programme, there are a few charities that do catering. For example: http://www.nymr.co.uk/

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The JCP advisor is correct - There are strict guidelines on what is acceptable Mandatory Work Activity in the guidance issued to the third party providers. See Annex 1 of: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/279314/pg-part-p.pdf - Not that this is adhered to in some areas by a few of the providers... Shelf stacking in Tesco/Poundland is not of benefit to the community.

vsl_2603: If you have an offer from a restaurant that could potentially lead to employment, I would recommend going back to the JCP and ask about Work Trials - Don't take No for an answer, go over the head of the front line advisor if you have to (i.e. request to see a manager). If they still refuse, complain to your MP that the DWP are placing barriers in the way of you gaining full time employment.

If you are pushed kicking and screaming in to this MWA programme, there are a few charities that do catering. For example: http://www.nymr.co.uk/

Having read about work trials not sure I am eligible. Also as I have been referred to the MWA provider now would any work trial happen after I have completed MWA?

Thanks