Jump to content

RTB valuation problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3743 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

At the beginning of July 2013 I submitted a joint application with my son to purchase my council flat. I have been a council tenant for over 27 years and am therefore entitled to full discount.


Although my son is not on tenancy he has provided proof of living with me the whole time by submitting 12 months bank statements, driver''s licence and mobile accounts to the address.


The application was only sent on 21 September (over three months delay when statutory time limit is 1 month). After waiting a considerable time I sent a RTB5 - no acknowledgement or communication received from the LA. I submitted a RTB6 on 28 December 2013. The LA valuer eventually called on 15 January 2014 and again no further communication. I submitted a formal complaint on 11 February and only after phoning the complaints department on 21 February did I get the valuation the next day. The LA did add a further discount of 11 weeks rent.


We are now over 4 months over the statutory period for dealing with the application but what is worse is the valuation is £25,000 more than comparable properties sold in the same street less than 2 weeks before I submitted my application (checked on the land registry. The flats down my side of the street are all exactly the same 2 beds whilst the other side (all privately owned) are 3 beds and are selling at considerably higher (£25,000 in fact).


The LA is claiming that the valuation is at 2 July 2013 which I can prove is incorrect. I have now requested a DV valuation but would like to know my options should the DV side with the LA.


Apologies for being long-winded but wanted to give all the details,

Link to post
Share on other sites



Have a look a this link as it also has a Right to Buy calculator and other info that may be useful:



How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks stu - but i have followed all the procedures up to request for "redetermination" . Just trying to find out what recourse I have if I have zero luck with the District Valuer. Can I still go to the Local Government Ombudsman?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...