• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Me Vs Natwest

go4it
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, I'm new to all of this, so sorry if I ask for something that's already been said, I would appreciate any help!

I have a natwest mastercard which has seen £60 of late payment charges on it. I also have a Natwest graduate account, which has occured £150 in charges over the years. I want to obviously reclaim these charges, but from the posts that I've read it seems that Natwest are a tough nut to track.

In the past, when I have been charged I have sometimes gone into Natwest to ask if they can help. Normally I've explained the situation and on a few occassions that have waived the charge. Instead of going down the letters route, for my mastercard I am thinking of ringing them up asking for the charges to be reimbursed. if they say no, they I will pay off the card and ask them to close it and file a customer complaint. If I can open a new main account, I am thinking along the same lines.

What I need is an arguement, I know these charges are unfair, but can anyone sum up in a few lines why they are unfair and why natwest should listen to me?

i'll keep you updated how I get along!

The answers are all in the FAQs and in the forum material

Read the FAQs

• 2 weeks later...

Used the letter in the library to write to Natwest to ask for £100 in charges back. Reply that has come today:

Dear

Thank you for your recent letter concerning the various charges applied to your NatWest MasterCard account.

As a goodwill gesture, I have refunded the overlimit and late payment charges that have been applied to your account to the total of £100. These refunds will appear as credits on your April statement, indicated by a minus symbol.

Whilst I note your dissapointment with the overlimit fee on your March statement, the charge was automatically applied when the balance on your account exceeded your assigned credit limit of £X.

Where an account exceeds this limit, and there are no guarantees this will happen as it is dependent on whether the request is referred for authorisation, the bank reserves a right to charge an administration fee.

I must advise you that in line with the terms and conditions, the late payment fees were applied automatically to your account when your payments were overdue. The late payment fee is debited by an automated system and is applied without exception.

I note your comments regarding the terms of the contract, however, when you signed the Credit Agreement, you committed yourself to monthly repayments of your borrowing by a stipulated date. This was on the understanding that any borrowing would be interest free provided that the balance was paid in full by that date. Customers who fail to do so can expect to incur interest on their borrowing, and a fixed penalty notice, which currently stands at £20.

I am sorry that you feel that these terms are unfair, but you did agree to them when you opened your account. If you feel that you can no longer abide by the Credit Agreement, you should consider whether this account is suitable for you.

You may like to consider paying the account by Direct Debit where either the minumum or full monthly payment can be taken from your preferred bank account automatically each month in order to avoid further charges.

I have taken the liberty of enclosing a Direct Debit mandate should you wish to consider the method of repayment. Please note, if you fail to arrange future payments to reach us before the due date then any further late payment charges applied to your account will remain valid.

Mr X, I trust my letter answers the issues you have raised and clariffies our position.

Yours sincerely,

Mike Bailey

Senior Customer Advisor

Customer Concerns

Few points - I did not mention my digust at the March payments. I was digusted as I only went over my limit because I was charged for a late payment. I sent the general letter from the library, and stated that I was wnting to claim £100 which had been a result of late payment and over limit fees.

Hope this helps!

Could we have a scan of this letter please to [email protected]

I must advise you that in line with the terms and conditions, the late payment fees were applied automatically to your account when your payments were overdue. The late payment fee is debited by an automated system and is applied without exception.

So is it me or is this paragraph not an admission of the fact that PC's 'issue' penalties that are unfair, not '2 people to manually intervene'?

:?:

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

have tried to send it after scanning, but file size is enormous so not sure whether it has been received. I don't mind sending it to an address if you want to PM me.

If when you scan it, you save it as a TIFF file, it'll still have all the relevant content but it's a lot smaller than the original.

It's likely the file the scan generated was a bitmap (BMP) file and is therefore huge.

Interesting tone of letter.

Notice that they put the emphasis on "your disgust with the fee being levied" or words to that effect.

We all accept the terms and conditions when we sign the agrrement/contract whatever. wee are not arguing about that, its the extreeme level of fee charged that we object to.

They don't seem to have got it do they ?(or are not admitting it) Making you look the guilty party!

have tried to send it after scanning, but file size is enormous so not sure whether it has been received. I don't mind sending it to an address if you want to PM me.

You've got the address in a post above - research@

• 2 weeks later...

having already received £100 for NW Mastercard, had high hopes for my current account...but they are proving a tough nut to crack...

Dear

Thank you for your recent undated letter and I apologise for any dissatisfaction caused by the application of charges to your account.

We believe that our charges are fair, reasonable and transparent. We consider that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement with us and out published tarif, which we are satisfied complies with all applicable laws and regulations. We are also committed to ensuring the transparency of the information that we give to our customers about the operation of our products.

Agsinst that background, we must differ to the views expressed in your letter. Accordingly, the charges that have been applied to your account must stand.

I am disappointed to note that you are contemplating legal action against the bank. Whilst I hope you will feel able to reconsider, should you decide to go ahead, pelase ensure that any Proceedings are served on our Registered Office address, which appears at the foot of this letter.

However, thank for you taking the trouble to write,

Yours sincerely,

Stuart Higley

Customer Relations

Need to put my thinking hat on to write back to Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Natwest - grrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Already in process of trying to claim £258 back. First letter back was usual - fair, transparent etc. Sent one back saying your fees are an illegal profit making scheme - cough up in 7 days or see you in court. I recently transferred some money to my credit card but transferred too much and forgot that I sent some payopal payments to people. Natwest refused all four and have charged me £114.

Funny enough, when I was in the bank recently they asked me lots of questions like what can we do to make you happier etc.

I have it in writing from a Natwest employee that fees are automatic, hoping to use this to push my case.

Will keep people updated..

thanks for that..I hadn't seen that site before.

Letter back from Natwest today, they won't do anything and have given me the address to put legal action to.

Been on phone with someone at customer lending to dispute the £114, he won't refund it as he says I'm only allowed 2 goodwill charges (which they have done in the past when I have kicked up a fuss). Referred to the OFT thing, he says it does not apply as I accepted the charges at time of opening account.

interesting point - I stated to him that I thought the charges were part of a profit making scheme, to which he agrees. He says the bank is a business and they have to make money.

not sure what to do as people don't seem to be having much luck with Natwest at court.

Natwest - grrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I have it in writing from a Natwest employee that fees are automatic, hoping to use this to push my case.

I think that admin would be extremely interested in a scan or copy of this letter!!!!!

Ex CAG helper ^_^

have sent it already to mods. letter states "the late payment fees were applied automatically to your account when your payments were overdue. the late payment fee is debited by an automated system and is applied without exception."

is this a knight is shining armour trying to help the cause whilst keep natwest bosses happy??!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was unhappy with all the responses I got from Natwest, fair transparent etc. I was annoyed that the letters were standardised, and that they did not address any of my issues. I called to see who I could write to if I was not happy with Customer Relations (in particular Stuart Higley). I was told to write to KELLY BRAMHALL in Manchester, whho had a colleague who was an expert in bank charges. I write off, they write back saying they need 10 days. They write again (this time SUSAN LAW), to say it's been referred to Customer Relations, and low and behold guess who writes back..STUART HIGLEY! HE's not going to refund me, and says that he's made the ligitation team aware that I'm going to start legal proceedings.

Don't really have the time or money to go to court..but if I must I must. I wonder of Sir Fred Goodwin knows how appalling Natwest customer service is??

As a student I am considering consulting the student union, particular as Natwest has a branch on our campus.

Good idea - that might get their back up !

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

btw...

does anyone know the ruling on students?

on the phone, an adviser told me that students should not be charged. I had a student account, turned it into a graduate account, then went back to uni to do a post grad. the adviser said I should have informed them (which i'm sure I did) that I was becoming a student again.

also..

is the OFT ruling limited to credit cards only. Stuart Higley seems to think so. This guy is becoming more frequent on these boards, if he ever gets charged and needs some extra cash I'm sure he could get work as a Pantomine villian at Christmas.

Guest Lueeze

Its not Creadit cards only, as you will see on this forum virtually any company that charges punitive charges are unlawful...

Good Luck

Lou

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks