• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BREAKING NEWS - REPEAT WCA medicals to be stopped

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In an urgent memo obtained by Benefits and Work, the DWP have told staff that due to a growing backlog at Atos all current employment and support allowance (ESA) claimants will be left on the benefit, without further medical checks, until another company can be found to do repeat work capability assessments (WCAs). The memo, dated 20 January, goes on to say that this will reduce the number of claimants moving off ESA, but that there are no plans to inform claimants or MPs about the change.

Benefits and Work obtained the memo from the DWP via a Freedom of Information request. It is headed: ‘FOR URGENT CASCADE. Control of the Referral of Repeat work Capability Assessments’.

The memo explains that back in July a ministerial statement announced that:

“in the drive to continually improve the Work Capability Assessment process and bring down waiting times for claimants, DWP had decided to seek additional capacity to deliver Work Capability Assessments.

“We are working towards having new provision in place – it will of course take some time for that to become fully operational.”

However, the memo goes on to explain that:

“The number of cases currently with Atos Healthcare has grown. A decision has therefore been taken to control the referral of repeat work capability assessments. Therefore, with effect from 20 January 2014, further routine repeat assessments referrals to Atos will be deferred until further notice.

Edited by citizenB
removed link to subscription site

I think you will need to use the FB link provided by bookworm earlier today.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Further to the story above..

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: “The call was clinically triaged as a non-emergency based on detailed information provided by the caller.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terry-mcgarvey-man-ill-attend-3178486#ixzz2uGGQbrEy

Hardly detailed or correct information if, based on the information provided, the ambulance service considered it a "Non emergency".

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

article here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/atos-crisis-fit-to-work-checks-shelved-3180876#ixzz2uI3enIYp

this is good news but obviously temporary.

I am not convinced they going to let people stay on ESA without any kind of review, instead I think DM's will make decisions themselves without ATOS evidence. Also I think they will probably be manually referring some people still.

I am not convinced they going to let people stay on ESA without any kind of review, instead I think DM's will make decisions themselves without ATOS evidence. Also I think they will probably be manually referring some people still.

Absolutely. There is no concept that this could be permanent, worse luck.

BUT is it a major reprieve for now, especially for those who have been stuck on the revolving door of assessment/denial/appeal/win/re-assessment etc, the extreme duress heaped on the most vulnerable, hounded to death in too many cases.

Add to this that Atos are seeking early release from their ESA contract, there is no doubt that the thing is in complete disarray (which we all knew, only the DWP didn't know, apparently!), and with the elections looming in May 2015, they may seek to use this as a political lever, you know, "we listened" rubbish, hoping to sway a few people into voting them back in. *shudders*

Either way, it is a step in the right direction, even if temporary, even if not everyone benefits, it is still great news for a lot of people, and we have to take comfort in the small things for now! ;)

article here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/atos-crisis-fit-to-work-checks-shelved-3180876#ixzz2uI3enIYp

It hasn't been officially released but it has been said that the suspension of Repeat (please note Repeat) ESA WCA's that would have been carried out by ATOS will be suspended for 2 years, however it will not affect new claims.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

I hope it's OK with you, 2ltr, there's a long-running thread on this scheme in the NHS forum and I'm going to repost your link.

Guys, please could we keep this thread for comments about WCA medicals? I'll post a link to the NHS thread for anyone who would like to comment there.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

I hope it's OK with you, 2ltr, there's a long-running thread on this scheme in the NHS forum and I'm going to repost your link.

Guys, please could we keep this thread for comments about WCA medicals? I'll post a link to the NHS thread for anyone who would like to comment there.

HB

Not a prob at all. :) seems to me there's more to this than meets the eye with atos

• Haha 1

I honestly think there will be no company willing to put up with the adverse publicity Atos assessments have created for this sector of Welfare Reform.

I think the whole assessment process was set up to undermine the GP system and prove that GPs aren't capable of signing somebody off sick without being checked up on.

I honestly think there will be no company willing to put up with the adverse publicity Atos assessments have created for this sector of Welfare Reform.

I dunno, there's A4e, Crapita, G4s, and Serco. Adverse publicity is what this mob thrive on.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Its understandable why ATOS have basically quit.

On the change to ESA, they have been 'encouraged' to find more fit for work through various scheming changes in the WCA process, on top of this they also had to do much more frequent assessments and reassess everyone on IB so a massive increase in workload. Then the thing that toppled it all over was the DWP asking for more convincing reports as they were crying on all the appeals they were losing.

It would seem since the protests (which I gladly admit I was wrong about) have had the effect that ATOS are now going public on various things that they previously would have been quiet about.

But lets not forget its the DWP that is the organ grinder, ATOS have been doing what they are told. A new provider might be backward steps eg. after many years ATOS had finally agreed to do recorded assessments which in my opinion was a massive step forward, I know some claim it wasnt as could do covert recordings, but to me it was a huge step. I also have thoughts my assessments been recorded has affected the results of my assessments.

The problem as I see it, is how can this make any thing better for the claimant.

We are told DWP are looking at charging for appeals.

Whoever takes over will have an equally tough brief, if not harder - new broom sweeps clean and all that.

A massive back log of ESA claimants waiting for medicals plus all those still applying - personally I cannot see it making up the lost time.

ATOS could not cope and they were more or less in from ground zero on these new schemes.

But I don't see any of this being good for those stuck on the end of the line and just waiting.

The problem as I see it, is how can this make any thing better for the claimant.

We are told DWP are looking at charging for appeals.

Whoever takes over will have an equally tough brief, if not harder - new broom sweeps clean and all that.

A massive back log of ESA claimants waiting for medicals plus all those still applying - personally I cannot see it making up the lost time.

ATOS could not cope and they were more or less in from ground zero on these new schemes.

But I don't see any of this being good for those stuck on the end of the line and just waiting.

It is not the DWP looking at charging for Appeals, it is the Department of Justice and they are suggesting a charge for the appeal and a charge for the Tribunal Hearing.

In my opinion it is the government trying to reduce the numbers on Benefits by stealth. Many who are on Benefits would not be able to afford the cost of an Appeal and Tribunal and so will either accept a lower level of Benefit awarded or not bother claiming at all.

The exact same thing happened with Employment Tribunals, which are also handled by the Department of Justice and since the charges were introduced there has been a huge drop in the number of employees/workers taking their employers to Tribunal.

So it looks like there is only going to be justice for the rich !!

It is not the DWP looking at charging for Appeals, it is the Department of Justice and they are suggesting a charge for the appeal and a charge for the Tribunal Hearing.

In my opinion it is the government trying to reduce the numbers on Benefits by stealth. Many who are on Benefits would not be able to afford the cost of an Appeal and Tribunal and so will either accept a lower level of Benefit awarded or not bother claiming at all.

The exact same thing happened with Employment Tribunals, which are also handled by the Department of Justice and since the charges were introduced there has been a huge drop in the number of employees/workers taking their employers to Tribunal.

So it looks like there is only going to be justice for the rich !!

Only because they have been prompted to by the Government if I am reading it correctly.

Only because they have been prompted to by the Government if I am reading it correctly.

Totally agree, that is why I said "In my opinion it is the government trying to reduce the numbers on Benefits by stealth"

Very interesting news. I went through hell last year because they refused a home assessment because I have agoraphobia. They ignored my doctor's appeal and I had to get my MP involved, before they actually backed down. My health deteriorated a lot because of the stress.

I actually found this thread via the CAG email, but, I just thought I would let a mod know that the email link wouldn't work for me. (I'm on chrome if it's any help).

with employment tribunals....my son was all geared up to have one, filled in the forms and as was not working due to being sacked, he applied for the financial assistance offered on the website and was not having to pay anything as he was in receipt of benefit.........fortunately his ex employer backtracked and reinstated him, so he didn't have to pursue it.

Well finally I have an explaination for my lack of ESA50, I've been waiting on my reassessment form dropping though the letterbox for weeks now. I figured their was some delay but it looks like I might be one of the lucky ones (touch wood) that is being taken out of the reassessment process for a time. I've been on ESA since 2012 and normally had a reassessment every 6 months like clockwork so its great not to have this hanging over me in the immediate future!

Does anyone have any idea how long this deferment is likely to last, I've heard 2 years being mentioned, provided of course there is no change in your health condition anybody know if that is true? Also I am based in Scotland and have read else where that the deferment is only in England?

Well finally I have an explaination for my lack of ESA50, I've been waiting on my reassessment form dropping though the letterbox for weeks now. I figured their was some delay but it looks like I might be one of the lucky ones (touch wood) that is being taken out of the reassessment process for a time. I've been on ESA since 2012 and normally had a reassessment every 6 months like clockwork so its great not to have this hanging over me in the immediate future!

Does anyone have any idea how long this deferment is likely to last, I've heard 2 years being mentioned, provided of course there is no change in your health condition anybody know if that is true? Also I am based in Scotland and have read else where that the deferment is only in England?

The deferral time is expected to be about 2 years but that could change at any time, as for difference between Scotland and England, I really don't know although should Scotland become independent then I would expect changes.

The one point that should be highlighted is that the deferrals only concern those who are dealt with by ATOS.