Used Car Dealer Falsely Advertised Car!

gmbunn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Looking for your opinions on a really stressful situation I've found myself in. Any comments appreciated!

I visited a used car dealership interested in a specific car.

The dealer told me if I wanted it, it would be fully serviced and would have a new MOT before I took it away.

The dealer provided me with a paper print off with the same details showing.

I did purchase the car

a week later the service light came on.

I called the dealer and was told "the garage must have forgotten to reset it, bring the car in and I'll take it up to them for you".

I thought this unusual as it was the dealers stamp in the book and not the garage he said had forgotten.

a few days later I visited the dealer and he wanted me to leave the car with him,

I insisted I came too and we drove to a mechanics garage.

Although I couldn't hear what was being said,

it looked like the mechanic was refusing to turn the light off initially,

but eventually he came and did so,

after a long conversation with the dealer.

The next day it still didnt feel right to me,

I visited the mechanic and he told me he had not done a service on the car at all ever, and had only carried out an MOT.

I went to the dealership and the dealer became quite angry and shouty,

telling me he never said he'd service it fully,

and had changed the oil,

which in his opinion is an 'engine service'.

The advertisement clearly states 'full MOT and service before the car is driven away".

He clearly falsely advertised the car and has now even had the service light reset,

knowing he hadn't had a service done at all!

If a dealer will act like this and the mechanic he uses is willing to reset service lights without doing the work,

I'm worried if even the MOT was carried out properly!

Where do I stand legally on this?

What options do I have?

Thank you!!

You could also have another M.O.T inspection done at another garage ( at your own expense of course ), and see if that highlights any failure issues. If it does, you can threaten the dealer and the mechanic by saying that you will complain to VOSA. I think something will then be done for you quick smart !

If you do get another MOT check, go to a council run site, that only do tests, no repairs, as they will have motive for finding a fault.

If you got a good deal on the car, don't be too hasty in trying to get your money back.

sure get it checked out, but for the cost of a full service somewhere else you may have a good car. providing there is nothing else wrong with it.