• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MKDP Claim Form on old HSBC Credit Card Debt.***Claim Discontinued***

indebtnow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Standard disclosure is by way of the N265 (see Legal Library) to familiarise yourself with the form indebt.As defendant your disclosure would be limited to anything referred to or relied upon within your defence/witness statement...CCA/CPR and responses etc.No you dont submit a further copy of your defence.

Mediation should be actively participated in by all parties...and failure can be sanctioned by the court if this proceeds to trial and when the question of costs arises.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for that info. Do I need to fill out the form N265 and send it with the documents (copies of my original letters to MKDP and their replies), as I can see no mention of an N265 form on the 'Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing)' that I received from the court.

Many thanks.

No you wont if its Small Claims Track...normally it just states as you have said but you can use it....or just type something similar like a contents list and serve them on the court /claimant...they should reciprocate.

Does it state anything with regards to exchanging Witness Statements?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

It did mention the same cut-off date for copies of any witness statements.

I didn't have any witness statements so didn't include any in the documents I sent to the court/claimant.

Interestingly, the date has passed for the claimant to have paid the hearing fee. Is there any way of finding out if they did indeed pay? Also, what happens if the claimant fails to file copies of documents with myself by the date imposed by the court? All copies of my documents have been filed (Signed For, Royal Mail) with both the court and the claimant by the due date.

Many thanks.

" I didn't have any witness statements so didn't include any in the documents I sent to the court/claimant."

You are the witness to your own defence...if it asked you to submit one then you should have enclosed it with your disclosure.

Andy

" I didn't have any witness statements so didn't include any in the documents I sent to the court/claimant."

You are the witness to your own defence...if it asked you to submit one then you should have enclosed it with your disclosure.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I wasn't aware anything like that would count as a witness statement, and I have to admit it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Is it still worth doing one anyway and popping it in the post to the court and the claimant, or not worth it now if all the other docs have been submitted?

Many thanks.

Only if the Notice of Allocation actually states that they require one....if so then yes and if you do not receive one from the claimant then you need to refer to that within said WS

Only if the Notice of Allocation actually states that they require one....if so then yes and if you do not receive one from the claimant then you need to refer to that within said WS

Yes, you're right. It does say "By xx.xx.xx the claimant and defendant must send to the court and to each other, copies of their own witness statements and those witness statements of all the witnesses they intend to rely upon at the final hearing"

The date has now passed and I have filed all of the other documents, so even though it's late I'll drop a quick letter in the post today with my statement to both the court and the claimaint. I will also include in the witness statement then, that no documents were received from the claimant by the due date, which has also now passed.

Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

Well, as an update to this, I'd filed everything on time and sent all copies to the courts and the claimant by the due dates mentioned on the "Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing)", but never received any copies of evidence of anything else that the claimant wanted to rely upon during the hearing, even though these should have been filed with the court and copies sent to me several months ago.

I did telephone the court just after that particular date to be told that nothing had been filed by the claimants, but they had paid the hearing fee, so the hearing would proceed on the given date.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I turned up at court, with (so far) no evidence having been submitted by the claimant.

I'd fully prepared myself, reading up on other similar cases on here so I knew what to do and say (to the best of my ability anyway).

So, imagine my surprise when the receptionist couldn't locate my hearing for that day and the time given.

Other case were listed for the same date and time, but not mine.

The receptionist then asked me to take a seat while she found out what had happened, only to call me back 5 minutes later and inform me that the claimants had discontinued the case the previous week!

She was very apologetic about me still attending, but the notice about the discontinuation hadn't reached me yet, nor had it been communicated to me by the claimant.

So, all in all, they'd given up, but had tried taking it all the way (or given themselves the maximum time to find the evidence).

By the date the court had of the discontinuation, it was less than the 7 days notice the court wanted in writing of a settlement or a discontinuation to enable the hearing fee to be refunded to the claimant, so fingers crossed they lost that too, and it's cost them quite a few hundred pounds in all this process.

That's a lot of money it must cost them when filing these claim in bulk!

I'd like to thank you all for you help, as I would have struggled without it. I can't afford to at the moment, but I will be making a donation in the future to help keep the site running as it is invaluable to people like me.

I would also like to frequent the boards a little more, so I can try and help others in the same situation.

It's only fair that I give something back, as it's so easy to take in this modern world, but not many people go to the effort of giving back!

Excellent...second no show by MKDP today.....

Well done indebt...thread title amended to reflect the outcome.

Regards

Andy

• 2 months later...

Well, an attempt has been made by MKDP to try and keep this one alive, as according to my records this one should be statute barred now.

I have received an annual statement from them, which they advise they legally have to do and yet I have never recieved anything like this from them before, and it shows that a payment of £1 was made early last year. I didn't make a payment, and in fact the £1 postal order was sent to them along with a s.77/78 request, with implicit instructions at the bottom of the letter, advising them that the £1 is not to be used for any other purpose that the statutory admin fee for the request.

Is there a letter template I can use to write to them advising them to remove the payment from the record immediately?

Also, they have never actually complied with the above s.77/78 or my CPR31.14 request.

And are these companies genuinely incompetent or do they try every trick they think they have up their sleeve?

Many thanks.

If you are sure it's statute barred, send something like this:

Dear Sirs

I refer to your correspondence dated (date of statement).

The statement appears to show a credit to the account of £1.00 dated (date shown). I have made no such payment. I did send a postal order to you to the value of £1.00 on (date), but this was in respect of the statutory fee for a request for documentation under ss.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act. The accompanying letter made clear that the funds were in respect of the statutory fee and did not represent any acknowledgement of liability of a debt, or payment toward same. Since I am sure that a reputable company would not seek to deliberately misrepresent a statutory fee in this way, or to try to mislead anyone into thinking that a payment had been made, or breach their obligations under the Financial Conduct Authority's CONC rules, I can only conclude that this is an error on your part.

However, I am most grateful to you for reminding me that you failed to comply with my ss.77/78 request. It appears to me that you owe me the sum of £1.00. I shall look forward to you refunding same by return.

I believe that this account is now statute-barred by virtue of the provisions of the Limitations Act 1980. For the avoidance of any doubt, no payment will be forthcoming, and I now expect you to comply with CONC rules and cease all collection activities.

Yours etc.

Edited by ScarletPimpernel
add a couple of words

Remember that statements are produced automatically. Thus it means they're not actively pursuing you - but nor have they given up the ghost. Some threads recently suggest they go out of

their way to resurrect old bones.

This outfit are a devious crew and rather than risk poking their nest, I honestly would remain lying low and do nowt unless you are *absolutely* certain of the S B status. From your "according to my records" this doesn't appear to be overly convincing.

We often ascribe misused £1 payments to deliberate trickery but it could also be sheer incompetence. That, in the case of MKDP, would surprise me not one iota.

If they did reappear later saying you had paid £1, it's easy to deny, as per Scarlet's suggested letter above.

"I have received an annual statement from them, which they advise they legally have to do and yet I have never recieved anything like this from them before, and it shows that a payment of £1 was made early last year. I didn't make a payment, and in fact the £1 postal order was sent to them along with a s.77/78 request, with implicit instructions at the bottom of the letter, advising them that the £1 is not to be used for any other purpose that the statutory admin fee for the request."

If it does not reduce the balance then I wouldn't worry about it.....payments for anything from a creditor/DCA must be accounted for and show somewhere on your statement ...that's how basic accountancy works...as long as you know what it was for and mark it accordingly on the statement for future reference (if required) then I cant see a problem

Andy

Nice letter SP

"I have received an annual statement from them, which they advise they legally have to do and yet I have never recieved anything like this from them before, and it shows that a payment of £1 was made early last year. I didn't make a payment, and in fact the £1 postal order was sent to them along with a s.77/78 request, with implicit instructions at the bottom of the letter, advising them that the £1 is not to be used for any other purpose that the statutory admin fee for the request."

If it does not reduce the balance then I wouldn't worry about it.....payments for anything from a creditor/DCA must be accounted for and show somewhere on your statement ...that's how basic accountancy works...as long as you know what it was for and mark it accordingly on the statement for future reference (if required) then I cant see a problem

Andy

Nice letter SP

It has reduced the balance by exactly £1 Andy, that's why my initial reaction was to write to them and get them to remove it. I'm more bothered about them trying to make it a new COA.

And I agree, it's a brilliant letter!

COA is a breach to the agreement which triggers a default notice...as regards the £1 payment...as stated just mark it on your records (not that you should need to a its obvious to you or a court what it was for) but the date is important so you can quantify it with your CCA request.

As stated any payment you make to a creditor must be reflected in your account...whether a credit to the balance or a statuary fee paying request...it still has to show somewhere on your account statements...if it didn't then they wouldn't have a record of payment for the request nor would your statements be a true reflection of payments......something the HMRC wouldn't be too pleased about.If 10.000 debtors requested DSARs at £10 per pop and they couldn't account for it?

• 1 year later...

MKDP issued a court claim on me for an old HSBC credit card debt over 2 years ago, and with the help of this forum, I managed to keep them at bay until they finally withdrew their case towards the end of 2014.

No correspondence was received from MKDP regarding their withdrawl, I only found out by attending court on the requested day to find they'd pulled out a week earlier.

The debt then became statue barred, and then late last year they sold the debt onto Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Limited, and appointed Robinson Way to 'manage the account'.

At the end of March I then received a letter from Howard Cohen & Co. Solicitors, detailing the original court claim that MKDP filed, mentioning the claim number, account number, court name and amount due.

They also mention that they "submitted an application to the court to substitute the claimant details from MKDP LLP to HPH2. This is because our client is now the legal owner and the Order further confirms that we are on the court record and acting on its behalf. Please see the attached court order confirming these details"

Enclosed was a photocopy of a high court order noting assignment of "multiple" cases, with no further details listed.

Therefore, because this case was withdrawn from over 18 months ago, is this actually misrepresentation as a scare tactic? On the face of it I did fall for it for a few minutes, until I read it all carefully and it then saw it for what it is, all smoke and mirrors.

If it is representation, am I able to complain to the court about their actions? If I can, my only fear is that they will say it was a mistake and is a one off.

TIA

Not sure it is misrepresentation. All that seems to have happened is that a bulk load of debt has been taken over by Hoist and Howard Cohen have written saying that they were advised a court claim had been made. They might not know what happened with the claim.

This is the previous thread for reference

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?418224-MKDP-Claim-Form-on-old-HSBC-Credit-Card-Debt.***Claim-Discontinued***/page2

I think you should check to see whether anything funny happened with the court claim. You were told by the court it had been discontinued, but did something happen after this. Check with the court to see what status the claim has and come back for further advice.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

threads merged for history

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...