Past Due - Notice of Impending Action

Craigb1984
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've researched well into this and think i know the answer but a very brief overview;

The girlfriend has received 2 letters at her parents' address (formal demand and notice of impending action) from Past Due. They're standard letter formats.

The debt amount is fairly small but in three figures with a service provider (TV/broadband etc) whom she cancelled the contract with around 3 / 4 years ago. At the time she cancelled informing them that she was leaving a relationship and also that address. They advised that the account was settled and that she could cancel the DD (verbally, we have no written evidence) - which she did. We are assuming the debt is for the previous address but can't be 100% certain without further evidence.

She doesn't know how they found her and is obviously very concerned by the whole thing. As are her parents.

I see a few options;

1) standard 'prove it' letter

2) ring Sky to get further info

3) ignore the whole thing for now (ideally not this option as her folks will go mental).

Thoughts on the best way to proceed? We're going to check her credit report tomorrow. As another note they have spelled her first name incorrectly. I'm not sure if this has any bearing though.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG

1 Yes.

2 No. Write instead. that way nothing can be denied.

Sky have the problem that when you want to cancel, they want you to phone them and this still goes on (as they did with me this year)

I suspect an error on Skys system but there should be some info on file re: the phone call.

If the contract was taken out by phone originally, it could be possible that the name was misspelt then or even input wrongly on the DCAs system. Either way, I don't think it matters that much

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Past Due have been taking further action against me for over 4 years. Go figure :-)

Ha ha, Past due by name Past due by nature!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I sent them the standard go forth and never come back letter and never heard from them again

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, first off thanks for your help. We sent the letter and today received a response stating that the debt was as suspected connected to a previous address.

The general gist of the letter is that they've been appointed and that due to data protection they require us to confirm that there was a connection the previous address and that my girlfriend is who she says she is (bizarre seen as we responded with her address on - no signature).

Aside from the fact that we don't believe there was an outstanding debt we don't know how they have found her in the first place as no forwarding address was provided. The landlord was her uncle who wouldn't have given the details. I have read previously about their dodgy tactics breaching data protection legistlation in trying to find people.

Other than speak to Sky to confirm the account was closed at the time with no balance due what would the next step be?

You don't NEED to provide them with any information related to who you are/previous address connections etc. It is up to them to prove that your girlfriend is the debtor and you do not NEED to assist them with this.

A couple of questions, was the account closed and did you receive confirmation of this? Was it within the period of the initial contract with Sky or did this expire? Is this the first you have heard of the debt since then?

Assuming the account was closed yes I would be contacting Sky to confirm the balance on the account, don't bother speaking to the DCA for now the original creditor will answer the questions that need to be answered. Wait for someone else to confirm this advice is right though, that is what I would personally do :)

The aboce is correct. They hold very little info and want you to supply it so they can create the debt.

Just ignore them or return all letters to sender.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

In writing contact Sky and ask if there was a debt on the account and if they can confirm how much it was.

Write to PDCS and tell them until you get the information you have requested you will not be doing there job for them. f they cant prove the debt is owed, remember television contracts are not CCA regulated, then you consider the matter closed and you will consider all further correspondance as harrassement

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I wouldnt even bother contacting Past due. ALl they do is shout a bit then run off.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D