CCJ because of domestic violence?

triumph2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong forum, I'm a new poster and couldn't really see a forum title that matched my problem!

CCJ because of domestic violence.

Back in 2008 I fled my marital home after years of abuse.

All of the bills were in my sole name except Southern Water and although I cancelled these bills, it was done in a hurry with a quick phone call.

Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to check that this was effective and Southern Water didn't cancel my name from the joint bill.

I went into a “safe” house and my ex-husband went to jail on firearms charges. As part of my divorce, my name was changed.

I have now rebuilt my life in a new town, but my ex, who still lives in our old home, hasn't been paying the Southern Water bills.

About 4 years ago Southern Water obtained a CCJ and are now sending me bills at my new “safe” address and have passed this address to debt collectors. Luckily, the bills are in my old name and the account is still joint.

I have two concerns, the first is that my ex may find my present address and the second being how do I get Southern Water to stop charging me for something I'm not using? Not too worried about the CCJ, I can't afford credit and I own nothing! But if I could get it to go away, that would be a nice bonus.I'm worried that by writing to Southern Water to explain the situation, I may just be confirming my address and then be “doorstepped” or even that my ex will find my new address.

I'm also surprised that after changing my name via deed poll on police advice, debt collectors have still linked my old name with my new address, which is in my new name, perhaps the solicitor didn't perform the change correctly?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

It will be the credit records agencies that have linked records in new name and old. With many financial applications, you are required to confirm any other name you have been known by

In this situation, I would suggest seeing Citizens Advice or a Solicitor with details of what has happened. You could really do with someone to write to Southern Water on your behalf, as I am not sure that they would treat any letter from you directly as seriously. I would hope that if Southern Water were aware of the circumstances and that you have not lived at the address for years, that they would stop chasing you, plus take your details off their files.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread