BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• at this site they would still beat off a court claim due to the contract with the landowner being faulty and with another company. If they had read other threads and the parking pranksters musings on this place they would be bouyed by all of the info and be up for it.
    • Are you definitely the registered keeper and do you have the V5C showing that you are the RK?   It can happen that you can set up a DD without being the RK, but if the DVLA do not have a RK recorded against the car when it comes time to renew, then the DD will not renew.   If the vehicle keeper does not have a V5C Your Direct Debit will not automatically renew if there’s no vehicle keeper in DVLA’s records. You can tell DVLA who the vehicle keeper is online. If you do not get an email or letter when your vehicle tax runs out, you should contact DVLA   https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/renewing     Could this have happened in your case?  It usually happens when you bought a car a year ago and set up a DD to tax it before you actually get the new V5C through.  You then either "forget" to get a new V5C, or you do try to get one, but it never comes through because your application has got lost, and you never chased it up.
    • Do you have the written copy of the order from the court which should have been sent to you after the court hearing?
    • TMB took me to court to repossess a buy to let property I own. We went in to court and I explained that I had found a good tenant and would hopefully like to keep the property, I explained that the mortgage of £543 pcm would be given straight to TMB directly through the tenants rent payments. This was agreed by the solicitors representing TMB. The judge explained that as long as I paid the mortgage repayments there was no chance of TMB repossessing the property. I explained that as the rent was £600 pcm I would pay the full £600 to TMB thus reducing the arrears. The judge stated that he would only put down the monthly mortgage payment and if I wanted to pay the extra that was fine. I continued to pay this until September 2018 when I was was contacted by TMB who stated the interest rate had gone up and I was £35 in arrears and the payment was now £635 pcm. I paid the difference and took steps to make sure this didn't happen again. I was also sent a letter in late September 2018 stating that I hadn't kept to the possession order and I was in a large amount of arrears. I telephoned them and was told there were two different orders, one to pay the monthly payment of £535 and one to pay £600 pcm. As I was paying the £600 the second amount of £535 was to be paid alongside of the other. I explained that there was only one court order and I had fully complied. I was passed from one department to another whilst being told "it was an easy mistake to make" but the amount needed to be cleared. I have been chased for the outstanding "arrears" and have had companies visit my tenant explaining the property was to be repossessed.  I have also been made to pay £185 on top of the  rent payment to reduce the arrears I owed from before we went to court. all under the priviso that the property was to be repossessed I have kept to the judges order but have found TMB to be  acting against the judges order. What if any are my next steps? Thanks
    • Probably realised that it was because he hadn't paid for the extra 23 minutes and no other reason. 
  • Our picks

littlejen67

advice needed - accusation of housing benefit/unemployment benefit fraud

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2242 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi

it's a bit of a complex situation. I split up with my husband three and a half years ago and moved out into a rental property. I had to pay my rent and our mortgage as he wasn't working. He wanted to keep the house and I was trying to be a nice person as I knew he didn't want to split up. Our arrangement at the time was that he would get a job and take over the mortgage which would free my income to pay my rent and bills. I took our youngest son with us.

After a year and a bit it became apparent he was still not getting a job. It became impossible for me to manage paying my own rent and bills and his/our mortgage. I went to the council at least three times and practically begged them to house me. They refused saying I owned a property. I explained I did not want to live back there because we had split up and they said they couldn't help me.

Financially I had no option but to move back into the marital home. I have my own bedroom and use one sitting room. he has another bedroom and use of the other living room. As soon as my circumstances changed, I notified tax credits that I was moving back in but we were not reconciled and we were not a couple. I also wrote to the Council Tax department, querying would I need to pay full council tax as when I was on my own in my flat I had the benefit of having a 25% reduction due to being single wage earner. I explained I didn't really feel it was fair I was now going to be liable for a higher rate of council tax in a property I could not make full use of due to us being split up. Council tax told me they would split our council tax 50/50 and I would be liable for half. I thought this was fair and said thank you.

Since then I have claimed our youngest on my tax credits. We haven't claimed him twice, not has my husband claimed him as a non-earner, which would potentially have got us more money if we were committing fraud.

We've been reported by a family who hate us because they are trying to get my daughter's baby taken off her (they are her ex boyfriend's parents).

My husband had an interview a few weeks ago and now I have received a letter asking me for interview under caution, stating they have reason to believe I may have 'aided and abetted' a fraudulent claim!

We have completely separate bank accounts and have notified each agency every step of the way that the only reason we are forced to live in the same house is because neither of us can afford to rent privately and the council won't house either of us because they just say we own a home we can live there. I feel like they have told us to live together, and are now trying to say we're committing fraud by living together! We are both dating new partners and have dozens of witnesses to the fact that we do not have a 'relationship' of that kind. I even took my new partner to my granddaughter's christening recently.

Although I KNOW I have not done anything wrong, I am still worried about the interview under caution as anyone getting such a horrible letter would be. I am afraid if anyone believes such allegations I will lose my job. I already resent my husband because I keep pushing him to get work as I struggle to keep everything together financially on my own, but he has never given me any of the unemployment benefit he gets and I would have paid full council tax if the council's response to my letter had told me I had to. We cannot sell the house for at least another year as our youngest son is still at college and when I consulted a solicitor they said a judge would not enforce sale of property until youngest is out of full time education. We have also had problems with our daughter which has meant I have had to try to put off discussing things like divorce until now. I have sent him emails asking him to file divorce paperwork as he is unemployed and it would be free for him to do so whereas I would have to pay about £400 which I just don't have.

Does anyone have any idea of the sort of thing they will ask me? and any advice gratefully accepted.

thanks.

Hi and welcome to cag.

For starters this is an interview under caution as there is an investigation under way. Until the investigation is complete they are simply looking for answers, so at this stage you aren't being accused of anything.

I'm a little confused though as your post makes no mention of you claiming either housing or unemployment benefit. Is it you or your husband under investigation.

Have you kept copies of all your communications with the various agencies to back up what has been said and to prove that you've kept everything above board?

At the IUC you will be informed what they are investigating and why, and probably what evidence they have. It's important to be totally honest as they have access to a lot of info, including bank records, so if they catch you out if you're less than honest it could cause doubt if you've made any genuine mistakes, or intentionally claimed benefits you aren't entitled to, which would be fraud.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

hi thanks for your reply.

I am not claiming anything other than working tax credits as I work full time. I don't get anything else from the Government.

My husband claims unemployment for himself and I presume half the council tax for his share but to be honest we don't talk that much and when we do he isn't very communicative.

They are investigating his claims, but the letter that came said 'we suspect you may have aided him' or something like that. I am not sure what they mean by that as I have had nothing to do with any of his claims as we live separate lives and nobody has ever asked me.

Unfortunately I don't have copies of the letters I wrote. I either wrote them on a previous pc, that has since broken, or wrote them by hand and didn't keep copies. He was interviewed a few weeks ago and he said one of the things they asked him was why I pay for contents on our home insurance! Not sure why I wouldn't want to protect my possessions or why that would be relevant. Another thing they asked was why I paid a BT bill and why he paid sky. He pointed out that the BT bill is for my daughter's home (she's a single parent and I was trying to help her out). They did mention to him that 'your wife seems to write very detailed letters explaining when there is a change of circumstance' but he suffers from depression and more recently diabetes and is a bit reclusive and is not as fast as me as keeping departments informed of changes. I gather already they must have access to my bank account to know what bills I am paying.

I have always been up front and honest about the situation and have nothing to hide and in fact if the council would just give me an empty property would happily and even ecstatically move out tomorrow!

I have only ever claimed my tax credits and always send them a copy of my P60 so have nothing to hide in that regard.

thanks again for your reply.

You say your husband has never paid any of his unemployment benefit to you.

Has he paid anything towards the mortgage?

Has he paid other bills? How do you split them?

Does the contents insurance cover items belonging to you both in which case it might appear that you support him and he's not been totally honest in his claims?

I entirely believe what you're saying but I just want you to see how things may appear.

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

he doesn't pay anything towards the mortgage at all. He's never got enough money to. He used to pay the internet bill but stopped again because he didn't have any money so I had to put that in my name. I am not sure what the contents insurance covers but to be honest I wouldn't let him claim on it because I pay for it, and I wouldn't pay the excess for something he had broken or belonged to him. I just get contents because it tends to come with buildings anyway and to cover mine and the children's belongings.

We have gas/electricity meters, and we both contribute to those but I can't say how much each. We will just top it up if it runs out.

I support him in the sense that he has no where else to go so he kind of lives for free but I constantly resent it, am constantly nagging him to find a job and to sort out divorce, selling the house etc and have emails from me showing this. Should I take these to the interview with me?

If you've been totally up front with the situation to all agencies which it sounds like you have been then I can't see that you have done anything wrong. Your husband has placed the claim for jsa and is responsible for declaring everything when placing his claim so I can't speak for how honest he has been. JSA is meant to be contributing to utlity bills and living costs, does he give you money towards utilities and either buy his own food or pay you for his food? If not and he is being supported by you then he would need to declare this to the DWP but this is his responsibility as the claimant and if you weren't there or saw the forms then you cannot be held responsible. Has he been receiving bills for his portion of council tax?

As this is an IUC I would take someone with you, legal representation if you can afford it. But if anyone has done anything wrong, from what you say, it will be your husband and not you.

As for the divorce, do seek advice on wikivorce.com forums but often the finances can be sorted by an agreement that the house will be sold at x point (often when the youngest child leaves full time education following their 18th birthday as you say) and that can be agreed in advance of that by court order. A house would take a while to sell anyway and your son could always move with you if necessary even if you sold now.

Without knowing everything, I am thinking that your husband hasn't declared his full circumstances when placing his claim but that is his responsibility and if you are unaware of his claim then you cannot be held to account.

hi abc

he buys his own food. We do our own shopping/cooking, laundry etc. He also contributes to the gas/electricity etc as I said, whoever is home when it runs out tops it up. Impossible to say how much gives each in this regard.

He did go and tell them I was moving in and asked if this would affect his claim. At the time he was told I would be classed as a 'non=dependent' and he could continue to claim as a single person. I am only thinking they've been told we are actually a couple, which we are not. We are both dating other people and I would gladly move out tomorrow if I could afford it or if the council would offer me somewhere. I am not 'supporting' him. I am paying the majority of the bills, but these would need to be paid for myself and the children, eg water, internet, etc.

thanks for your advice, I will look into the divorce forum you've mentioned

If you've been totally up front with the situation to all agencies which it sounds like you have been then I can't see that you have done anything wrong. Your husband has placed the claim for jsa and is responsible for declaring everything when placing his claim so I can't speak for how honest he has been. JSA is meant to be contributing to utlity bills and living costs, does he give you money towards utilities and either buy his own food or pay you for his food? If not and he is being supported by you then he would need to declare this to the DWP but this is his responsibility as the claimant and if you weren't there or saw the forms then you cannot be held responsible. Has he been receiving bills for his portion of council tax?

As this is an IUC I would take someone with you, legal representation if you can afford it. But if anyone has done anything wrong, from what you say, it will be your husband and not you.

As for the divorce, do seek advice on wikivorce.com forums but often the finances can be sorted by an agreement that the house will be sold at x point (often when the youngest child leaves full time education following their 18th birthday as you say) and that can be agreed in advance of that by court order. A house would take a while to sell anyway and your son could always move with you if necessary even if you sold now.

Without knowing everything, I am thinking that your husband hasn't declared his full circumstances when placing his claim but that is his responsibility and if you are unaware of his claim then you cannot be held to account.

Agree totally.

Take anything with you that shows you lead separate lives including emails asking for divorce.

What's Best for You?

A short letter/statement from your current partner would really help too x