Soga ( disc brakes and pads )

Kricker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there I'm new to this forum and could do with some help.

5 months ago I bought a used 207 from a dealer and at the time no issues with the car where pointed out, I was told that it came with 2 year warranty and a years free mot when the current one runs out which is around now..

I booked it in with the dealer for its free mot and then after dropping the car off I was contacted by the dealer stating that some work needed to be carried out and that it needed new rear disc brakes and pads which don't fall under the warranty I thought fair enough wear and tear, he quoted me a price and asked was it okay for the work to be carried out and I said yes.

Now the car failed the mot due to a faulty hand brake and they've fixed it and rebooked it for tomorrow....

Now the problem is since then a friend of mine who used to work for ford has told me that because the car is less than 6 months old it's up to the dealer to fix these faults free of charge as when they originally acquired the vehicle it should have been inspected and noticed any issue with discs and pads and had them replaced and or notified me that they would soon need replacing which they didn't !! I also only do roughly 250 miles a month with the odd long drive weekend away that's a only about 2000 plus miles in 5 months and I'm under the impression discs and pads last anywhere from 25,000 to 50,000 miles

The dealership will be contacting me to update me on the car tomorrow and when to collect the car, but I'm unsure how to approach the situation, do I refuse payment or question the work carried out pre sale ????

Its wear and tear and not a soga fault and down to you to pay.

Discs and pads may last 25,000 to 50,000 when new but you did not buy new and cannot expect the same life from used ones

But surely they would have noticed that the brakes where badly worn when they acquired it and should have changed them ? As the soga states if an item is not of satisfactory quality it is up to the seller to legally fix the problem ?

I agree. Brakes are classed as wearable parts and as such are not covered as you describe.

If the brakes had fallen apart or been unserviceable thet would be a different story. But as it's the friction material and disks that are both wear items then it's just case of bite the bullet I'm afraid.

The garage 'might' offer some towards it but wouldn't hold your breath.

I think that the problem is the 250 miles a month. Brakes need to be used to keep them up to scratch. Rear disc brakes are often an over specification, where drums would do just as good a job, provide a better parking brake and be more durable, as a consequence they just don't do the work when used, leading to unswept areas of the disc, corrosion (as they are often exposed through alloy wheels) and seizure.

I think that the problem is the 250 miles a month. Brakes need to be used to keep them up to scratch. Rear disc brakes are often an over specification, where drums would do just as good a job, provide a better parking brake and be more durable, as a consequence they just don't do the work when used, leading to unswept areas of the disc, corrosion (as they are often exposed through alloy wheels) and seizure.

Totally agree J66, couldn't have put it better myself. Rear brakes do very little work compared to the front which is why they tend to seize up first (with discs). The 207 set up especially being such a light car.