Help with a bank account related matter

PBhardwaj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3711 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello There:

I am looking for a legal help as my account was closed by the bank without my permission and without any notification to me. Now bank says that it has no records and hence nothing can be done. I have exhausted all resources except the legal resource. I will appreciate help in this matter.

Thanks,

I am looking for a legal help as my account was closed by the bank without my permission and without any notification to me. Now bank says that it has no records and hence nothing can be done. I have exhausted all resources except the legal resource. I will appreciate help in this matter.

When they say they have no records - did you request information by way of a Subject Access Request ? They are obliged to keep all data in respect of your financial relationship for a minimum of 6 years - so if this action has been taken within the last 6 months or so, then they should definitely have some inforamation !

How have you been communicating with the Bank - by letter or telephone ?

IMHO, you need to send a Subject Access Request if not already done so. You will find a draft letter in the CAG library, highlighted in green and linked at the top left of the screen.

If you have already sent the SAR (with the statutory fee of £10.00) and they claim not to have data then you might need to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi BPH and welcome to CAG

1. Approx when was the a/c closed.

2. Why did this happen.

3. Do you have any paperwork, statements, debit card, etc to prove the existence of the a/c.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your answer. I really do appreciate it very much. Well, I have written to the bank several times and they claim to have no RECORDS. I went to FOS and they also said that bank has no records and nothing can be done. Now what?

Thanks and regards,

Hello There:

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I have been banking with Barclays for the last 30+ years.

Bank never ever sent me any notice of any kind about anything.

I have no idea when my account was closed and why it was closed.

And, yes I do have the paper work,

including but not limited to my account #,

sorting code #,

bank booklet and

couple of old letters from the bank.

I went to FOS and also told me that nothing can be done.

Now what?

Should I file a legal action in the court or should I hire a legal expert?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Hi PBH,

Can you tell us approx when you think the a/c may have been closed.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hello Slick132:

I am sorry as I have no idea at all. All I know is that I was never informed in any form or shape about any of the actions planned and/or taken by the bank. I have been kept in DARK. Bank has failed to meet its obligations, duties and responsibilities. As a matter of fact, I wonder as to how many cases might be out there like mine. Please advise.

Thanks and regards,

have you actually ever sent them an SAR

sadly I don't think the bank has to give any reason why?

they closed it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok, if you don't know when the a/c was closed, can you say roughly when :-

1. You were last aware it was still open.

2.You last used the a/c for any transaction paid either in or out.

3. The latest paperwork for the a/c relates to.

Hello Slick132:

Thanks for your reply.

Well,

in late nineteen eighties,

I had requested bank to transfer my funds to a higher earning interest account.

And, I do have the letter in my possession from the bank that goes back to November of 1987.

Thanks and regards,

Ok, so you're talking about roughly 25 years ago.

That is why you are hitting a brick wall with the bank and the FOS.

Even though I'm sure the bank should be able to track data based on the a/c data you have, they will probably say they no longer hold data going back so far.

They may say, and some would agree, why has it taken you so long to chase this matter up.

Do you know approx what sort of amount is involved.

Have you tried a system for tracing old a/c's - http://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/aboutus.htm

Hi Slick132:

Well, I have been in regular communications with the bank since late eighties. As a matter of fact, I have been trying to get access to my money for a long long time, but with no luck at all. I have tried all kinds of options, including the one suggested by you.

Thanks,

Hi PBH,

If you have all the necessary account details, I wonder if you've tried the ICO.

The problem in your case is TIME.

If you have a complaint and/or court claim to make against the bank, you should act promptly or as soon as reasonably possible. It looks like matters here have been delayed over many years, to the extent that the bank can reasonably argue that the data is no longer available.

You didn't say what sort of amount is involved ...........