Council Tax and Attachment to Earnings Order

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an interesting one for everyone to think about and hopefully I will receive some advice.

I had an attachment to earnings order issued against myself from the council in June 2012. My employer deducted the right amounts from my pay over a period of 7 months totalling £1284.00.

My employer at the time only paid the council just over £600, even though the had taken the full amount this being confirmed by my payslips.

The council have tried to get me to pay the outstanding amount as they thought I had moved employment, Which I did in May 2013.

They have written to the company on various occasions seeking the remainder on the monies due to them, which had been deducted from my pay. It would now appear that this company went into liquidation in October 2013.

The question I would like to know is, can the council pursue me for the remaining money. Even though I can prove that my employer at the time had taken the full amount to clear the debt.

where do I stand

I can't see they can make you pay again if the proof exists you complied originally. Surely their claim has to be against your old employer and as they have now gone bust they should claim as a creditor. Probably the debt should be written off by the Council - I would think your local Councillor(s) should tke this up for you.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The question I would like to know is, can the council pursue me for the remaining money. Even though I can prove that my employer at the time had taken the full amount to clear the debt.

The debtor is ultimately responsible for the council tax payments, if the employer fails to pay them then the council can collect any balance direct from the debtor. The debtor is them responsible for chasing the employer for payment.