Reclaiming GE Money unfair mortgage arrears charges

garyclarke1962
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Whilst researching my fight against a GE Money eviction (a successful fight for me) I came across reference to reclaiming unfair arrears charges. On looking thro my mortgage statements I have found that GE Money have been hitting me for

1) Admin fees £40

2) Default Notice Charges £30

3) Debt Counselling Fees £48 & £88

4) Solicitors Fees total £480

5) Additional interest varies every month

They say items 1-4 are all interest bearing so I presume the additional interest they are charging is on these items. Goodness knows what interest rate they are charging, The interest bearing fees total £2450 and the additional interest is £1750.

Am I right in thinking I can ask for a refund of all these items?

Another thing, they add on these fees every month, and every 3 months they write to me to say my monthly payment has been re-calculated and gone up, usually by about £5 are they right and being fair doing this?

If these charges are unfair and illegal surely my monthly payment should be re-set back to what it was before they started this 3-monthly increase.

Finally, if I am successful in reclaiming the fees they have charged so far, will they stop charging them in the future or do I have to take further action to get that done?

Thanks for all the advice i've received in the past on here, and any I get in the future.

Hi

The items you have listed at 1 and 2 can be reclaimed.

As regards the debt counselling, did you actually receive this i.e. did someone come to your home and sit down with you? Did you agree to the meetings?

The legal fees will not be reclaimable.

On the amounts which are reclaimable you should also claim back any associated interest as a result of them and to calculate that you will need to prepare a spreadsheet of the amount you are claiming back.

How far back do these charges go?

Also have a read here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?244476-Reclaim-unfair-mortgage-arrears-fees-FSA-says

Depending on your particular loan you may fall outside the fos jurisdiction if GE fail to refund you in which case you would need to take court action on the basis that these charges are unlawful penalty charges (not illegal).

The spreadsheet to use can be found here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011

and you will need the second one down.

The interest rate they charge will be on your statements.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi -- how are you getting on.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Does anybody have a copy of a template letter I can use to reclaim unfair mortgages charges from Kensington Mortgages? I've seen lots of references to these letters but I haven't actually seen one. Thank you for your help.

Hi

Here you go....amend to suit

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?390026-Mortgages-Reclaiming-Charges

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

Just wondered how you got on with this claim? I have been successful with ge money upholding my mis-sell on 2 secured loan, am now perusing for unfair penalties the same, and advice would be good,

Thank you

sunnydee x

Hi

Just wondered how you got on with this claim? I have been successful with ge money upholding my mis-sell on 2 secured loan, am now perusing for unfair penalties the same, and advice would be good,

Thank you

sunnydee x

Hi well redstone sent me a letter saying all the charges were in the terms and conditions so they are not refunding so just looking at next step which by the looks small claims court best but have to look into it

They turned me down without any real reasons, other than they considered the charges to be fair and legal. I looked into going down the small claims court route but was put off by the fact it would cost me something like £180 to put the claim in, with no guarantee of success. So any further claim by me is on hold at the moment.