Neighbor's car parked in my parking space

dave6541
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently bought a house. It is an end terrace with parking to the rear (private land for which I pay an annual ground rent of £215). My house had been vacant for a few years before I moved in and the next door neighbour had used the space at the rear of my property to park a broken down car.

When I moved in I approached the neighbor to move the vehicle he said he would have it removed within 2 weeks. 4 months have now passed, the car has not been moved and the neighbour refuses to answer his door to me.

His car is parked so close to my gate that I cannot get my bins out past it and have to drag them out through the house to the front of the property.

Where would I stand legally if I paid for a recovery truck to move the car away from my space (only a few metres of movement)?

Any idea of another course of action? I had initially thought it could be towed due to expired tax but as it is private land I understand this is not possible.

Please help.

Ditto, though the council may not want to get involved if it's private property.

If the council are not interested, a letter through the neighbours door (take a picture of you posting it if you want proof) giving them 7 days to remove the vehicle failing which you will arrange for it to be removed at their expense.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Doesn't it still have to be taxed even on private land?

Thought the rules had changed on SORNs

No, unless it insured. If it's taxed it has to be insured and if it's insured it has to be taxed, but on private land it doesn't have to be either and if it's been there for a while I doubt it's taxed or insured.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hi dave

I would advise before you do anything rash that you now need to put this in writing to the neighbour (ensure you get proof of posting and keep a copy) as the neighbour could try to turn this on you so you need to be careful and everything in writing with proof of posting keep it all in one folder.

Now have you taken photographs of the vehicle obstruction from different angles even showing you cant get bins out etc?

In your letter I would point out the arrangement that was agreed by both parties for the vehicles removal and that that time has past by some considerable months without its removal after numerous attempts by you to contact the neighbour for an update on its removal.

You are now giving notice that you require the vehicle removed from your property by XX/XX/XXXX as you they been given numerous opportunities to carry this out but so far have failed to do so.

Have you considered its there vehicle being stored on your land storage costs?

If you do employ someone to remove and dispose of said vehicle what about your costs for doing this?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I had a similar problem, the police and council wouldn't help but the DVLA website (I think) said that it could be dealt with by putting an abandonment notice on the vehicle, waiting for 14 days and then getting it towed away. Fortunately in my case the neighbour moved the car but that seemed to me to be the only way of forcing the issue. I think a lot depends on the local council's policy though as some will remove an abandoned vehicle.

No, unless it insured. If it's taxed it has to be insured and if it's insured it has to be taxed, but on private land it doesn't have to be either and if it's been there for a while I doubt it's taxed or insured.

Just to clarify the above, it either has to be taxed/insured or SORNd. This applies to it being kept on private land also (however it dosn't have to be taxed/insured as long as it is kept permanently on private land BUT it must be SORNd). You can check the vehicle status here;

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s2

It would be best to get an amicable solution but as a last resort you can get it removed at your own expense. You can recover your costs (or some of them) by selling the vehicle for scrap but if the sale value is above your costs you must pay the balance to your neighbour.

I bet that he cant be bothered with the car and would be glad if you paid for it to be taken away. If you cant speak to him it will be difficult to be certain though

• 2 weeks later...

Could he not be done for fly tipping? Surely it is his responsibility to dispose of it responsibly or store it correctly, not just dump it on privately owed land ( not owned by him)? I would just give him a letter saying he has seven days to remove it or you will remove it. Just call local scrapyard who will collect but give less money, but that should be no skin off your nose. Regardless of whether it's blocking access, you don't want the car on your property so why should you have it there?