Panasonic BluRay Player Unusable After Firmware Update

DevonHillBilly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3655 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

myself along with a number of other owners have experienced an issue with a firmware update for a Panasonic BTT290 BluRay Theatre System rendering the unit unusable to watch certain BluRay discs.

There is a separate thread about this on a dedicated Audio Visual forum:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-sc-btt290-owners-thread.1726525/page-3

To cut a long story short, I along with others have had no issues with our players prior to this firmware update, however, since the update a number of BluRay discs that had previous played perfectly now refuse to play.

In my particular case I noticed this behaviour less than a week after the expiry of my 12 month warranty, although the update was released by the manufacturer more than a month prior to the expiry.

It just so happens that I do not regularly watch BluRay discs and so never caught the fault until it was too late.

The unit does play regular DVDs perfectly fine and does also play some BluRay discs perfectly also.

I contacted Panasonic Customer Services who initially told me to do a system reset, which never solved anything, they then told me that I would need to contact my local Service Centre, which I did.

The Service Centre have replied stating that I would need to pay a £48 non refundable inspection fee and that it is probably a drive issue and that the firmware update cannot be rolled back to a previous version.

Now I dispute this claim of a faulty drive because surely no discs would then play, not an odd selection. Secondly, it is not just me that is experiencing this issue and it all coincides with the recent update, that, strangely enough is listed on the manufacturers website as an update for BluRay Disc Playability.

I would like to know where I stand legally with this as in my mind Panasonic have released an update that has caused my product to be not fit for purpose.

I have been trying to demand from them that they reinstate my previous working firmware version that was installed when I purchased the machine and which is what I actually paid for, they declined to do this.

I wish to blast them with a coherent email outlining actions that they must take before any actions that I along with other interested parties may take.

Any help would be appreciated.

DHB

nothing to do with any warranty period.

SOGA is your friend here.

as the unit is outside of 6mts

then you would need to have an inspection done

which is refundable upon the successful SOGA claim.

as its the manu firmware that has done this

its a clear cut case.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi all,

I had the same with my BT220 unit. It plays everything except DVDs. In my case it wasn't the firmware upgrade that broke it. I tried cleaning it, nothing helped. Mine is about four years old. Decided a new one was the best option as the cost of repair was going to be £100 plus.

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

• 2 months later...