• Tweets

• The funds were taken by eBay, rather than Paypal.  I presume Paypal collects the funds from eBay, and so eBay then sting me for the money.   But either way, before this money was taken from my account, my eBay account balance showed as -£85.  Yes, my bank account has been debited by this amount. eBay say that they are completely removed from the chargeback process, because it is carried out by the buyer's financial institution.  So, conveniently, they cannot help, other than by refunding the chargeback fee of £14. 
    • Perfect, thanks for the detailed response. Once question, do you know how long it takes for the breathing space to get applied? Say for example I have payments due in 4 days and I apply today how does that work? Also, sorry for sounding stupid but what do you mean by default once the breathing space is in place? I mean what does "Default" mean.  After the breathing space is over and I wanted more time, what would happen? I can and will afford the payments after a few months but I just need that breather to sort some stuff out, as I have said I have never missed a payment. Sorry for the many replies but after doing a quick search, correct me if i am wrong. If it then does go into default and it goes to a collection agency am I right in saying they will send many letters and they may consider a claim? and I should only response if an official MoneyClaim is made? Also, If it does go into default does this severely affect my credit score? or will this only be in the case if a CCJ is applied.
    • there isn't one yet use the default mentioned already there. that covers all 3 debts as i assume the PAPLOC is for all 3 debts? dx  
    • a chargeback via a paypal account used in an ebay sale doesn't usually result in funds being sucked from your bank account,  just that you attain a paypal negative balance. as you saying the money was taken by paypal from your bank account without you authorising this? or is it directly the buyers name that is shown? regarding the chargeback but either way you bank account HAS been debited? dx  
    • what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have been living in the Netherlands for four years and now in the process of sepearating from my husband - i left debt in the UK around 7k (bank overdraft, pay day companies) with the intention of repaying when i started living here, unfortunatley as my husand was out of work for much of the time i lived here i was unable to pay back. Can anyone please advise on the best way to tackle the situation. Thanks in advance.

Hi, i thought i would get in touch as i am in a similar situation

- i am still living in NL and have debts of aprox 30k (mainly one bank loan)

i have tried to get into a debt management scheme but i cannot unless i get divorced,

i am in a catch 22 situation as i cannot afford to get divorced as i am having wage garnishements from one of my creditors.

I have just though about packing my bags and leaving but dont want to make the siutation even worse for myself.

Any advice would be greatfully received as this is causing me great stress.

Thanks in advance.

If you are still resident in the Netherlands, you need to seek local debt advice, which is probably to make affordable repayments to each creditor, if the debts are still enforceable in a court. It is when you stop paying anything that enforcement action can follow.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

What I would do is go on line to say http://www.experian.co.uk or http://www.equifax.co.uk and get a credit report, it will cost you about £2.00, they email it to you a few days later, from that you will be able to work out what you owe and the default date of each item.. hope this helps.

Abbey Settled 3,600:cool:

Just started battle with

EGG

Virgin CC

Abbey

MBNA

Id wait for them to contact you. Most of the debts will likely be close to being sb.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I have tried to get into a debt protection scheme but have to get divorced first but am not in a finacial position to do so, so am in a vicious circle! If i come back home to the UK how likely is it that the debts will catch up with me?

I have tried to get into a debt protection scheme but have to get divorced first but am not in a finacial position to do so, so am in a vicious circle! If i come back home to the UK how likely is it that the debts will catch up with me?

They will eventually.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Stepchange or bankruptcy from abroad can probably both tell you what the process would be and roughly how much it would cost you. You need to speak to people who actually deal with this on a day to day basis as things change. You need up to date knowledge and information specific to you.

I doubt Stepchange will be able to advise on this, it's not within their remit.

I thought I read that Stepchange can refer people on to those that can help.

A simple Google search for 'Personal bankruptcy Netherlands' will bring up several firms that the OP can contact directly

For example: http://www.kernkamp.nl/en/services/company-and-corporate-law/netherlands-bankruptcy-law/

I am not promoting this company nor vouching for their ability, this was one of the hits from Google - feel free to remove this link if against CAG rules

G

I was thinking that this was UK debt and the person now lived in the Netherlands.

I was thinking that this was UK debt and the person now lived in the Netherlands.

If they are domicilled in the Netherlands they'll need to become bankrupt over there. Bankruptcy is useful as doing so in foreign jurisdictions would still be recognised in other states/counties - especially in the EU.

The rules about the centre of main interests changed not long ago, they can be complicated - here's further information via the technical manual:

http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/technicalmanual/Ch37-48/chapter41/part5/part%205.htm

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Like a number of you here i have go into some financial difficuly whilst living in the Netherlands,

i currently have a wage garnishment on my wages to pay off some of debt.

An An opportunity has come up to work for me to rellocate back home to the UK to work for the same company at their UK offices

(i work for a US company with offices in Amsterdam & London)

My question is can the wage garnishment be transferred to the UK

if in essence am working for the same employer?

Thanks in advance.

I should imagine that the wage garnishment only applies in the Netherlands. The UK will be a different payroll and if you want to continue paying, you will have to set up a new arrangement, where you transfer money across yourself.

You should contact the creditors you hold the garnishment for to inform them that you will be moving to the UK. Therefore the current arrangement will be stopped and you will have to instead arrange to transfer a payment from the UK to maintain repayment.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

Im planning on moving back to the UK afer living in NL for 5 years - i have some debt issues where a debt management company have consolidted debt and are garnishing my wages on a montly basis until the debt is paid, i have around 25k left to repay. My question is can they take out a court order in the UK to garnsih my wages? I intend to pay the money back however they are currntly taking over 900 euros a month from my wages which has a big impact on qulaity of life. In essence really how to debt collectors enforce debt collection between EU countries?

Read up on European Enforcement Orders that allow debts to be enforced cross borders within the EU. They can just make an application to a UK court using a UK address found for you and enforce the debt here, if you don't dispute it. Or if you don't tell them you are leaving Netherlands, they may get a Dutch court judgement, which can be transfered to UK court, once they have found you.

Think about options.

Stop paying, try to stay off radar in UK. Wait to be traced and come to an arrangement again that is affordable.

Tell them you are leaving Netherlands for voluntary work in Mongolia. May never return to Netherlands. If you have a lump sum to offer as a full and final settlement they might take it. Then you can move to UK without the debt catching up with you.

If you own any assets such as property, that will be a factor that will affect you. It is an asset they can go after if you don't pay or it will make offering reduced settlement payments less likely to be accepted.