TRITON CREDIT SERVICES - Help Please

Mav75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Join the club coleman72,

Triton can sound threatening with their letter, listing a number of horrible things they "may" do to you, and some of their letters can be considered harassment.

Did you already have an arrangement with NatWest, or is this the first time you're having difficulties with your account and they passed it on to Triton? (by the way they are in the same building, NatWest, Mint, RBS and Triton - officially an RBS company).

Whatever your situation it is advisable to do as you say. Send them a CCA request letter. Go to the following link in these forums which has a bunch of letters regarding creditors:

The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

Click on letter number 8, i.e. "CCA Request Letter".

Another example of a letter and additional legal information can be found in the National Debtline site:

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet Getting A Copy Of Your Credit Agreement And Account Details

The above should be enough to get you started.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Forum users,

A long time debt I had with Nat West ( being managed by Payplan since Nov 08 by monthly payments) has just recently been transferred to those lovely people at Triton. Triton send me a rather threatening letter, but Payplan said they would deal with them on my behalf.

I then (as the forum suggested) wrote to Nat West and asked them if they could confirm the relationship with Triton/if my debt was sold on. I also served the CCA letter on Triton for good measure.

I have heard nothing since from Triton. However I have received some statements from Nat West, which appear to show a £2.00 charge on my loan element of the debt. The £2.00 charge listed as S77 fee was added to my outstanding debt, despite the agreement between Payplan and my many creditors that interest would not be charged.

Is this fee allowable or even legal? I was informed by Triton that they are part of Nat West/RBS as stated in their original letter.

Can a bank add a fee when:-

a) interest has been agreed as frozen

b) if they pass the debt to another part of their organisation?

This would suggest that my debt has been sold on within Nat West to Triton - when Triton is part of the same company. However I have no confirmation that this is the case from Nat West and the statements sent still have Nat West numbers and logo's on.

Can I contest this charge or demand the fee is paid back to me? Is this legal? Can banks charge consumers for selling debts, when they have not confirmed this is the case? I'd hate to think Nat West is making money out of my debt by selling the debt internally, when I was not informed of the proposed charge/seeling of the debt and I have not defaulted on my payments with Payplan.

No response as yet to my CCA letter, but will post again if/when I receive a response.

I remain rather confused.............

Spinderella

S77 fee is set at £1.00 - and you have paid that

Beware - I have heard that payplan throw their toys out of the pram if you start sending CCAs

In short, NatWest only can do what is in the agreement - so wait and see.

A referral fee would be unusual

hello, thanks for reply. quick question, is the fee still £1.00 for cca request, and regards cca letter, for credit cards i take it it is s78???? also in the same letter should i ask if the debt has been bought or just refered for collection??? once again thanks.

Yes the fee is £1.00 for cca request and this also covers if you request a Statement of Account at the same time... otherwise an extra pound for the SOA. I've send CCA requests where I've asked something else as well, so no problem there.

PO box address on the letter works

fyi that is not their real address; the letter will get redirected by the post office, which takes a day longer. However, that is their problem, it gives them a day less!

hello again!!!! just a quick question. the cca letter has to be sent to whoever owns the debt. i got a letter from triton so i take it i would write to them requesting the cca?? or do i need to ask them who owns the debt first??? sorry bit confused. or do i send letter requesting cca and in the same letter ask if they have bought the debt??

You can send it to Triton and most likely they will reply back saying that they've forwarded your request to Natwest, etc... and will get back to you. This almost certainly means that it will take more than the 12 days... but that is their problem.

So you might say, why don't I send it directly to NatWest... but it's best to send it to the people chasing you about it, and in this case it is Triton. If you sent it directly to NatWest they may continue to send you threatening letters, without knowing that you'we requested a CCA. Ask them in the letter if they now own the debt, but I doubt it. Triton is used by RBS or NatWest to apply pressure on you. They are usually acting on behalf of them. But check the first letter they sent you, they sometimes say that they are acting on behalf of their clients, Natwest.

Edited by di.harry

thanks di harry for your replys. is it best to print off the cca letter, no 8 on the list i think, or is it o.k to send a letter just requesting the cca, as i am a bit unsure about what i need to print off for the letter. hope this makes sense?? do i insert s78??? and it ays something about deleting things???

sorry coleman72, I'm with a laptop and no power (less than 15mins on the battery) as I'm travelling... I'll either reply to you tonight when I'll be back home, or else hopefully someone else can answer.

Dear Coleman72,

I think so. Best check with the template letters. Don't know about credit cards - so best to find out from other forum users. Your third point - check with the other forum users as I'm a bit of a novice in this department.

The following has worked for me.... Letter #8 in the forums is just more forceful with respect to some points. Mix and match as you see fit. You might also want to write on the back of the 1 pound cheque "to be used for CCA request only", as debt collectors are notorious for cashing those to decrease your debt.

Cheers,

Harry

1 High Street,

Newtown,

Kent

R21 4RH

June 29, 2009

The Loan Company

Company House,

Church Street,

Newtown,

Kent,

R1 7HG

Account No: 4563210025897412

Dear Sir/Madam

With reference to the above agreement, I would be grateful if you would send me a copy of this credit agreement and a full breakdown of the account including any interest or charges applied. I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 [sections 77-79], I am entitled to receive a copy of any credit agreement and a statement of account on request. I enclose a payment of £1 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I understand a copy of any credit agreement along with a statement of account should be supplied within 12 working days.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with the request for a copy of the agreement and statement of account under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

Edited by di.harry

hi i was wondering if i could get some advice please i had a credit card off rbs and i got into difficulties paying it they have now passed it on to triton who phoned me just after 7pm tonight my card balance is over 1400 but there wanting £260 a month for 6 months im not working as husband has had cancer and we have got 4 kids 1 with disabilities i cant afford to pay this i have got other debts that i am trying to sort out i offered triton £5 a week and they refused they said that they will be taking court action im at my wits end dont know if i can take much more stress please help

spurs71, please do not worry and take one step at a time.

Triton's letters are scary but you are a human being with rights. Entire economies and countries mess up their finances. Zillions of projects go overbudget, fail, or companies go bankrupt. And they are all supposed to be overseen by financial experts!

You are a decent woman that encountered life's difficulties. It happened to all of us. No one can blame you or treat you like a criminal, which is what some of the debt collectors appear to do. Remember, they cannot make you pay more than you can afford to pay and that's that! CCCS says so, National Debtline says so, CAG forums say so, and even the courts agree with this as well, ok, so no need to worry.

So here are some steps:

First, I'd recommend you send a CCA request letter, as in my earlier post above with the sample letter. This will buy you some time, as they can't do anything to you until they've satisfied your Credit Agreement Copy request. What's more, they might even be unable to provide a valid agreement anyway, in which case you will owe nothing.

After they're provided a valid Copy of your Credit Agreement, then you can prepare a simple income and expenditure budget form which will demonstrate to them how much you can afford to repay them. This budget will include a list of all your creditors and the offers or repayments will be based on the amount you can afford to repay, divided in a pro rata fashion between your creditors. If you want more help with this step let me know.

Offering Triton what you think you can afford (e.g. £5 a week) without a budget and a list of all your creditors will probably not convince them. Creditors need to see a picture of your situation to be empathetic. Then, if indeed you can only afford that amount, they can't force you to pay more. Even if they were to take you to court (if you do the above, I doubt it), the court would ask you to do the same thing. Even if you can only afford token payments, that's fine... but they need to have an idea of your income and expenditure.

CCCS can even do the above for you for free. National Debtline provides a guide that explains everything, including sample budget sheets and letters. There is a lot if info out there.

Now, if you're already done the above and they still refuse your offer, let me know. I don't whant to go on describing things that may not apply to your situation.

Best wishes.

Edited by di.harry

di harry. thank you very much for putting that example letter on this post. was not quite sure about the #8 letter, it seemed to confuse me a bit!!!! thanks again.

Glad I was able to help.

Best regards,

diharry

hi di harry thank you so very much for your advice i will send the letter with the postal order first thing tomorrow and i will let you know how it goes once again thank you

Great! Keep us all posted when they reply to your CCA request letter.

Best wishes,

diharry