Debt with Southwest Water

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3707 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I got into financial difficulties over a year ago. I'm on JSA and have no other income like pension etc. I got behind with my water payments and the debt currently stands at around £1000 - my local water company is one of the most expensive in the country I believe.

I went to CAB a few months ago and filled out the relevant paperwork and showed proof of incoming money etc. I was then told the water company would send me payment slips to pay £13 a month for a few months then it would be under review. However, just before christmas the water co sent my some payment slips of £260 each, payable each month for the next 4 months. I contacted the guy at cab about this and he said he wasn't aware of any of that and maybe the water co are still processing my 'claim' under this 'water care' scheme that have for people on a low income.

I left it until I then received the same sort of thing again from the water company, 4 payment slips for this £260 a month for 4 months. I waited until now thinking they were sorting out this other scheme of £13 a month but they've now written to me saying it will go to court.

I will contact them tomorrow anyway, but I just wondered is there any way I can make a realistic 'offer' of some amount to avoid court? A bit like a token payment to a credit card company? In all honesty, I'm financially stretched as it is so it would be a tenner at the most and that would be a struggle to be honest.

I'd appreciate any advice here before I contact them if possible as I don't want to feel they have me over a barrel so to speak and I have to abide by their terms or it's court.

I want to pay, but I also want to be realistic in what I can afford at the moment.

Thanks for any advice, appreciated as always.

Are the payment slips the kind which you present to a bank over the counter?

Hi mate. I just checked and they are 'Bank Giro credit' slips that I can use over the bank counter or paypoint etc. I was thinking earlier of just using them to pay the nominal £10 but having checked the letter I received recently, it says this 'plan' has been cancelled?

Right - don't worry about what they say. Although this won't get you out of trouble, it will be a very good move for you to start reducing the debt and to show willing.

Photocopy the paying in slips so that you have as many as you need and start paying in - as much as you can and as often as you can.

They won't be in a posiiton to refuse it - and anyway they aren't entitled to prevent you from reducing the debt. In fact they have a duty to mitigate their loss. If it goes to court, you can explain to the judge that you have been trying to reduce the sum owing and they have deliberately prevented you. This won't bail you out completely but it will help to get the judge on your side a bit.

I have to say that a water debt of £100 is pretty big and must go back some years. I can't imagine that it is only the last year.

Also, get any evidence you can from the CAB that there was an agreement to pay £13. This kind of evidence will be very useful if it ends up in court.

Thanks for the advice mate. Like I said, I started to get into financial difficulty about a year ago but the debt has built up over about 18 months all in. I have paid a few £20 payments last year as and when I could afford it which has reduced it a little. I will photocopy the slips and make nominal payments as and when I can afford to, to show willing.

I will also contact the guy at CAB regarding this 'scheme' I was lead to believe that I would be put on, whether they will put it in writing is another thing though.