Wife dismissed without notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My wife took a part time cleaning job. Today she received a message on her mobile to call her boss, which she did. She was told there and then that her services were no longer required with immediate effect. They would not give a reason initially but when pressed they told her that another employee would not work with her, as my wife had only been there three weeks, and the employee who complained had been there 2 years, they decided to dismiss my wife.

As she has only been there three weeks we fully understand that she cannot pursue a claim for unfair dismissal, but she has been told she will only be paid up to Friday 31st Jan, her last day of work. In other words, zero notice period.

From what I can gather from the internet she should have been given "reasonable" notice.

Could anyone offer any advice on the best way to tackle this?

Many Thanks.

A CAB document at http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/faq_index_employment/faq_employment_notice_of_dismissal_from_work.htm suggests this:-

If the law does not give you the right to notice, for example if you've worked for your employer for less than a month, and there is no notice period in your contract, you will still be entitled to a 'reasonable' amount of notice. What is reasonable will often depend on your pay period. For example, if you are paid weekly, you could argue that a week is reasonable, and if you are paid monthly, you could argue that a month is reasonable.

Sending them a well worded self-penned letter costs the price of a stamp. I probably wouldn't employ a solicitor however.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Ok, don't want to flog a dead horse. Do you think it would be best to let this one go?

Unfortunately as she was only employed for three weeks, there isn't any cause of action here. Let it go and concentrate on finding another job with a company who value people a little more!