Zero hour agency work "training" ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3734 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After passing a Fork lift course in November last year I am now being "offered" the "opportunity to attend an open day run by Staffline DHl at a local college who are offering a training course specific to the local Land rover/Jaguar plant with a guaranteed interview with JLR at the end.

The bait being the "Good wages" and secure job etc.

However, a little research shows that 80% off the staff at JLR (Halewood) are Temps provided by Staffline DHL and are not paid anything like the rate JLR staff are.

This company exploits a loophole in the regulations regarding temp workers and equal pay after 12 weeks, known as the "Swedish derogatory", this basically means the temps are contracted to the agency as employees and then subcontracted at a rate set by their "employers"

What is troubling me is the fact that only 300 of the 800 current "temps" at JLR "Halewood" are on 5 shifts a week contracts and 200 are only guaranteed 1 shift's payment if laid off (zero hours) but according to my advisor they are looking for a further 500 ?

Given the recent industrial unrest both at JLR Halewood and JLR's two plants in the midlands, with strike action being threatened unless wage parity is introduced, this makes me a bit suspicious particularly when JLR and DHL have stated they have a contingency plan in case off industrial action !

Any thoughts on this? am I just being a bit paranoid?

if you've been unemployed for a while I'd say a day of your time is not much of a gamble

the swedish derogation only applies if you get pay between assignments so not sure how that fits with layoffs - you'll need to check the wording carefully.

lots of changes at JLR the last few years so check your contacts info is up to date.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I am also on a Swedish Derogation contract with DHL/Staffline but at a different company.

It has been great for me because I am an employee of Staffline not an agency worker. This means I get all the benefits of an employee such as boots, sick pay, paid holiday etc.

Go for it!

I have worked for these people so I will give you my two cents.

They will not give you a perm job. They will promise it time and time again but it won't happen. Only those related to managers/current employees are taken on properly.

They will expect you to work lots of overtime. Have a family? You'll forget what they look like. Have a day off? They'll be phoning you none stop. Dare to say no ton overtime and your gone. Dare to be ill and your gone. Dare to complain about managers feeling you up? Your gone.

As for wages, you can expect them to be wrong every week. When you dare to question why they will

Not take responsibility, it's your fault. Your holiday pay will also be wrong again with no one taking responsibility.

You'll be forced to sign away your rights being told "sign it or we will replace you"

Want equal pay? That won't happen, only if your a man.

I could go on and on but I won't!