Contribution towards company van

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My employer charges me over £100 per month that they state is a contribution towards the cost of my van. Listed on my payslip as van hire.

I am not permitted to use the van for any personal use.

I have never given permission for the deduction but have been informed by them it is lawful even though there is nothing in my contract regarding this deduction.

Can they do this? If so can I claim anything back from my tax?

So this is a new thing?

Is driving a company vehicle a new thing?

Do you take the van home at night and use it to get to your place of work?

Is your place of work the same place every day?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It happened about a year ago. Have asked several times what the contribution is for and do not get the same answers, nobody seems to know what it is for.

I have always had a company vehicle.

I take the vehicle home every night and my place of work is always different

So possible contribution for your commuting? Seems unlikely but all I can think of.

It seems odd to me. I think you need to make a request in writing for the details of the deduction.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

On the brighter side, it may be tax deductible, although that might mean you going self-assessment for tax purposes. Check your tax carefully; how much your were paid gross, how much net (after tax), and how much tax you paid.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ask for it in writing. That's the starting point; what it is for, and how they come to a figure of £100.

Do you have to take the vehicle home.

What would your travelling costs be if you didn't have the vehicle.

You say the contributions started a year ago, had anything changed then.

Not quite the same, but a friend of mine used to work for a double glazing company and he had to pay all the fuel costs, it seemed strange to me at the time, but it had been agreed ( this was 30yrs ago).

I'm sure there is some reason for this, but it would be important for you to be told the reason not "that's just the way it is".

So you are £100 down every month or have they adjusted for this.

I agree you need to get this in writing exactly what the contribution of £100 from your wages is for.

Also ask for a copy of the Policy that contains that deduction and any documentation you have signed agreeing to this contribution.

always be polite in your letter asking for these.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Would it cost you more than £100 per month to travel from your home each day to pick up the van and then drop it off and travel home at night ? Looks to me like you are being charged for private mileage

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

The company was taken over a few years ago.

There is nothing in the vehicle conditions policy or staff handbook or documentation signed by myself to agree to the deductions.

I'm regularly on call so could not take the van back as the depot is 60 miles away.

I could be working anywhere in the country so it would be impossible to calculate my costs. My last van had over 100,000 miles on it in 2 years.

Finally we are not permitted to use the vans for any private mileage whatsoever and have to sign documents for the tax office to verify no private use

hundred quid a month for a flexible start location and 120 mile a day home to office round trip does sound like a bargain to me