Boiler broken new born baby

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Need some info on emergency etc

just got home and the house is freezing, we have two children one who is almost 2, and a new born who is less than 5 weeks old. we havent got a emergency contact number for our letting agent, so looks like we will have to go without heating tonight and hot water which to be honest the house is a old terraced house with a cellar and gets bad at night

people have said call our gas supplier however they aint going to be able to help as far as i know they dont cover our boiler. so any ideas?

if we have to wait till tomorrow should they get someone out same day due to childrens ages?

thanks

Steve

worcester bosch 28i greenstar condensing boiler, the pressure is normal,

basically whats happening is we try and reset the boiler and it fires when the taps on or thermostat igniting, then a few seconds later the flame goes out and tries a couple more times to ignite but that drops off as well then it gives like loud sound when exhausting, like a bass/ echo sound(reminding me of a car bass box), then the boiler goes off and flashes reset.

not had a problem with it until now.

If it fires up then a few seconds later cuts ouy it is over heating. Poss pump gone

Can you borrow electric heaters for tonight?

Ther should be an emergancy no. for the letting agent

no-ones got one we can use, the outside exhaust pipe sounds like a digery doo, like there water in there bubbling as well. and ive looked everywhere for a emergency num for the agent, ive even phoned the council out of hours to see if they did and noones got one. tried a domain whois incase the registrar used a mobile number to register

There is a condence trap with a clip on cap under the boiler left side. Get a bowl to catch water and debris remove to clip on cap, let it drain, refit the cap. try to start the boiler

dont really know any of the neighbours, in this street you keep yourself to yourself lol. ive had a look on the condence trap, but it says not to do it unless gas safe, and someone said dont empty as afterwards you have to put an amount of water in to block gases getting into the house

Is it below freezing where you are ?

Is it possible the condensation pipe outside has frozen ?

You could boil the kettle to nearly boiling (so it's hot)

And pour all over the plastic condensation pipe.

I've had this happen to my combi boiler last year when it was freezing. Froze and cut the boiler out just as you describe.

heres a quickk vid of whats happening.

when i said loud rumble thats the moment its like a car bass box, however the vid hasnt picked up on it

[ATTACH]49014[/ATTACH]

my pipe runs inside house so dont think its frozen, basically boiler was fine, gas went off this morning and so i got some, everything was running fine and we went out, got back and found it flashing.

also weathers been fine here about 6 degrees and 4 at its lowest today

If you have a gas/electric oven, you will just have to use that to warm the property up a bit. It does sound like the boiler needs a bit of servicing, maybe a new pump. You are not likely to get this done until tomorrow at the earliest. British Gas offer a one-off fixing service for a fixed price, but not sure how quick they would be. Would your landlord pay for this ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

nah, thats the ****ter of having no emergency contact whatever i have done i have to pay for myself, it states it in the tenancy agreement. i just worry that when i tell them tomorrow they will tell me it will take a couple of days, i aint bothered about myself being cold its my young children, funny thing is this week the electricans coming out as they are changing my fuse board, theres nothing wrong with it according to them but they are changing it for my peace of mind, yet every niceic person who comes in my work reckons its well below code :| the joys of renting eh

nah, thats the ****ter of having no emergency contact whatever i have done i have to pay for myself, it states it in the tenancy agreement. i just worry that when i tell them tomorrow they will tell me it will take a couple of days, i aint bothered about myself being cold its my young children, funny thing is this week the electricans coming out as they are changing my fuse board, theres nothing wrong with it according to them but they are changing it for my peace of mind, yet every niceic person who comes in my work reckons its well below code :| the joys of renting eh

Right i will be frank with you.

The fact you have young children does not make you in anyway any form of priority. The fact you have a private landlord means you may be lucky if you get a Gas safe Engineer this side of valantines day. This of course depends on your landlord.

I used to work many years ago for a major contracting firm who held contracts with large councils and housing associations, the fact someone had small kids made no difference what so ever, we would tell them to use a heater, put the gas fire on, how did people cope years ago

I hope you get this fixed asap, but dont be surprised if you have to wait, you are quite simple not a priority (i know that sounds harsh but its true)

Thats a big call there uncle bulgaria

I made my post before the film was posted, based on what has been said. The film is inconclusive. It could be anything.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The logical action would be to call a gas safe engineer and get it checked - won't cost the earth and if it is something simple, it could be fixed on the spot. If not, then the landlord can arrange a gas saef engineer of his own tomorrow when he/she is notified.

And ask for an emergency contact number for future issues.

Oh...and don't fiddle with the boiler yourself unless it's for things that are meant to be fiddled with by the householder - there is a reason things connected to the gas need qualified engineers.

And kids are often hardier than people treat them these days (unless they have specific disabilities/needs); warm up one room, and let everyone sleep in the same room tonight. Your LL should effect a repair to hot water/heating in a reasonable period - and I'd say that is a day at best to get someone out to look, with the hopes that a repair will be complete within a week or so. If it was just heating, then marginally longer.

If I could be allowed a plug for another brilliant online forum (hope CAG don't mind, as it is not related to anything on CAG or other similar finance/debt/legal advice sites)

UK Plumbers Forums.

I have posted to that site before for general advice and you get Plumbers/Gas Safe Engineers who will give some great advice. They have similar rules to CAG about not touting for business and it is subject to effective moderation.

i appreciate everyones reply, my littlest aint been 100% well since she been born, just didnt want want her getting any worse. the fact of the matter thats annoyed me most is the no emergency contact i thought there would be one in the tenancy agreement.

by the renting/landlord laws does a emergency contact num have to be suppiled?

im resigned to tomorrow anyways i shall be outside the door of the agent before they even arrive, not being funny i pay good money for the house especially when i see nicer homes on homes under the hammer for less rent lmao. all i want is a home that is suitable, its always someone elses fault with my agent

and cheers unclebulg will have a look now

i appreciate everyones reply, my littlest aint been 100% well since she been born, just didnt want want her getting any worse. the fact of the matter thats annoyed me most is the no emergency contact i thought there would be one in the tenancy agreement.

by the renting/landlord laws does a emergency contact num have to be suppiled?

im resigned to tomorrow anyways i shall be outside the door of the agent before they even arrive, not being funny i pay good money for the house especially when i see nicer homes on homes under the hammer for less rent lmao. all i want is a home that is suitable, its always someone elses fault with my agent

and cheers unclebulg will have a look now

No the is no requirment for this

Hope they get someone out quickly for you though

little annoyed to be honest,

went to bed last night i turned all power off to the boiler and shut the gas off as didn't like the thought of anything running that was broken was cold lol, tried the boiler again this morning and still not working. so went to tell letting agents who said they would get somewhere out, which should be today. at 11:30 i tried the boiler again by resetting it now its working! i phoned letting agent to advise that its started working again, and they were like what have you done to get it working? erm reset it. and they then said are you sure you had gas! of course i am, and then they implied there was nothing wrong with my boiler after all, so i blatantly told them i wouldn't of had my kids sleeping in a cold house all night if there was nothing wrong with it!. so they cancelled the guy now, just hope it doesn't go off again