• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Laptop sent for repair to the screen and the repair company broke the motherboard

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2451 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm hoping for some advice on this one.

Our two year old stood on the screen of our laptop and cracked it in the top corner. We took it in for repair and a few days later received a call stating it was ready for collection. On collection and payment, the person at the repair shop stated that they didn't have the correct charger and so couldn't demonstrate it working but that they had replaced the screen and all was good. At the time I thought this strange as it's a standard HP adaptor.

We got it home plugged it in and sure enough the scree didn't work.

I took it back to the shop and they said they would take another look. They were a little shady about this... The assistant said it was probably a faulty connection, but was corrected by the owner who butted in rather nervously and quickly stating it could be a faulty component. Anyhow they took it back and I was told it could be collected the following Monday and that they would call. The following Thursday, having received no call, I called them and was told it was not able to be repaired as it had a faulty graphics port.

I wen t and collected the laptop that day and asked how it had happened. The owner became very defensive and said it was and act of god and just one of those things. That it would need a new motherboard to fix it.

I protested that the fault was a crack to the screen and that the only people playing with the graphics port would have been the shop when they were repairing it and that the damage could not have occurred by a 2 year old standing on the top of the screen.

To cut a long story short, the old screen was put back in (interesting they still had this 3 weeks after they initially replaced this) and they refunded me the £85 repair fee.

However, I would like to pursue this to get them to take responsibility for the fault caused whilst in their care.

How can I best go about dealing with this?

Edited by omalleyr

Write to the owner of the shop and tell them that your item has been damaged by their negligence and you expect them to make good your loss, this being the cost of acquiring and fitting a new motherboard. Give them the opportunity to minimise their exposure to your costs if you can trust them and get them to replace it. If the proprietor doesnt respond or agree then it will have to be a letter before action and small claims court. You will need to get the lappy inspected by another expert and a written report with the costs will be a necessity.

cant see to be honest, the graphics port being of any relevance here to their repair

not working as such.

that'll prob be the blue 13 pin VGA port on the side of the lappy.

so an external screen can be connected?

ok its quite usual for them to become loose

but it doesn't stop their repair.

weird answer from them

unless they mean the internal connector to the screen

but if he stood on the screen that would not get damaged...

very strange....

go get 'em

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, he's referring to the connector on the motherboard that the screen slots into. He was deliberately vague about this though thinking he could bamboozle me with jargon.

I don't want to take the laptop apart to look as I'd rather a pro inspect it first.

The fault seems logical to have happened when they replaced the screen.

I'll write to them as mentioned and take it from there. Thanks both for help.

quick question what laptop is it

i douvt they mean the external connector. most likely the ribbon connector on the mainboard

brand is important. sony is a pig to get an lcd compatable with the mbd. dell has a fuse thats prone to blowing

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

theres no way on earth a cracked screen would damage that.

im going to make a guess here and say the model is either g6 or g62 either way the connector on the board is a flat one that the cable simply pushes onto the top of how on earth they have damaged it i dont know

more likely is that they broke the led cable from that connector to the lcd. as they should have had no need to remove the topcase to get at that connector

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

oh and dx has a good point. plug it into ab external screen and see if you get anything.

either by that blue vga board. or if its the above models they have a hdmi port on the left happily you shouldnt need a computer monitor as most tvs have both these connections now

just be aware that with hps you most likely wont get in external image until it loads windows

Please note: