Charges on halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3675 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have over £250'of unpaid dd and standing orders charges on my bank account since last October, my partner works full time but we do get CTC WTC HB DLA x2, I spoke to them to sort this out but they told me last year or year before a court case ruled in there favour allowing the charges

Bcobs complaint

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It isn't helpful to just state "BCOBS complaint". Others might not even know what it means.

Anyway OP, by operating the account you agreed to these charges (which are also clearly advised). Why do you suddenly think the charges don't apply to you?

Are you currently experiencing financial difficulty? Have you advised the bank of this and asked them what can be done?

Good job that BCOBS is clickable then :)

And just because charges are stated in the t&c's doesnt make them fair or lawful.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Good job that BCOBS is clickable then :)

And just because charges are stated in the t&c's doesnt make them fair or lawful.

I don't think the link or hover thing is very clear - stuggling would you agree? Do you know what BCOBS is? Do you know how to bring about a relevant complaint? Did the link help?

I didn't say whether they were fair or lawful or not. I'm establishing whether the OP is currently in financial hardship and if it was the charges that are causing or making the situation worse.

by operating the account you agreed to these charges (which are also clearly advised). Why do you suddenly think the charges don't apply to you?

This is not the case. If this principle is accepted then those who operate credit card accounts, loans and the like have agreed to the charges which begs the question "why have many people been successful in reclaiming the charges either direct with the financial institution concerned or via the courts"?

stuggling, you may care to read up on BCOBS and what it is all about. If you do not get anywhere with the bank directly then you could sue your bank under BCOBS and you would sue them for a failure in their statutory duty. Should you need to go that court route and, indeed decide to sue them, CAG will help you all we can.

If a judgement is obtained in your favour under BCOBS then that opens the way for the FCA to take punitive action against the institution concerned as well.

This is not the case. If this principle is accepted then those who operate credit card accounts, loans and the like have agreed to the charges which begs the question "why have many people been successful in reclaiming the charges either direct with the financial institution concerned or via the courts"?

By operating the account the account you do agree to the terms and conditions though. If you didn't then the only thing you can do it close the account.

Whether people have reclaimed charges or not is irrelevant. I wasn't even disputing that.

The point I was trying to make/ask it that why have these charges have only recently become a problem for the OP - i.e. are they causing the OP financial difficulty

In hindsight my post is unintentially worded a bit directly and maybe even rudely but I am unable to edit any of my posts for some reason

To me it didn't come over as rude but it was more the implication that nothing could be done as the OP had accepted the charges by using the account.

The point we would want to make is that the OP could investigate avenues to see if anything can be done and BCOBS may give them a route to move forward and mount a challenge to the bank.

Yes financially diffuilty one month they took 80 out! When called and told them this all they said was go in to bank and see if they can help, but it may close your account down, whenever I go bank to discuss things all I get is ohh you need life insurance you got 4 children you don't want to leave them with nothing, oh your car insurance. Is due soon let's make an appointment with the insurance guy! I walk out at this point, I'm not there to be sold products,

I had 15 calls in one day to make the appointment but yet they didn't want to speak to me about the diffuilty we going through

Sadly thats halifax for you. They simply do not care about their clients ( which is what you are).

What type of account do you have? Most don't even charge a returned item fee.

I'm pretty certain that they don't sell car insurance in branch.

The charges can but don't necessarily indicate that you are in financial difficulty. They can also indicate, for example, bad financial management.

If you genuinely are in financial difficulty then I would write to Halifax to tell them so and include your income and expenditure along with it so they can positively analyse your situation. You can't just request for the fees to be refunded it doesn't work like that (as you have already experienced).

• 1 month later...

Can someone give a bit more information on what to actually to when making a BCOBs claim? I've read the links and although they are informative about what BCOBS is, what do you actually do, apart from writing the bank letters? I read on there you need to sue them, so how would you go about doing that?

Do the banks sometimes drop the charges without needing to sue them?