Info Sale on Goods Act - PCWorld faulty desktop

pin62

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does it blue screen whilst in safe mode? (to get to safe mode, press f8, as soon as it starts up, and keep pressing it), then choose safe mode with networking.

This will allow you to use the computer as normal, however the icons will be much larger than usual.

If it still bsod's, then next time you start your computer, do the f8 trick again, only this time, choose disable automatic restore.

Then 'when' it bsod's, it will not automatically restart the machine, it will stop, and the blue screen will stay on screen.

If you can say that the same stop code (0x000000??) keeps on occurring, and it is the same code 7A (A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware).

I would agree with dx, and state that the sata controllers on the motherboard are failing, and the machine requires a replacement motherboard.

You mention that you have already paid out £180 to both companies. Is this £180, for the hard drive, AND the windows reinstallation?. Is the total, the sum you have paid to both companies in total, or £180 each?

Only reason I ask this, is if its £180 in total, then something doesn't fit right with me. Hard drives, cost anything from £35.00 upwards (depending on the size). Then you have add their profit, labour costs, and the windows reinstallation costs. If I was to replace a drive, and basically start afresh, my fee is usually around the £130 mark.

Thank you for getting back to me, I have given up on the computer apart from the blue screening it also comes up windows error recovery.and launch startup repair and start windows normally, If I click on either of them it just flicks back to the same page asking the same question. thought about putting it on Ebay to see if anyone would be interested in a faulty all in one maybe someone who is computer minded. Both companies charged me £90 for hard drive and install. I wish I had never seen a computer.

Thank you for getting back to me, I have given up on the computer apart from the blue screening it also comes up windows error recovery.and launch startup repair and start windows normally, If I click on either of them it just flicks back to the same page asking the same question. thought about putting it on Ebay to see if anyone would be interested in a faulty all in one maybe someone who is computer minded. Both companies charged me £90 for hard drive and install. I wish I had never seen a computer.

WHY did you not go back to PC World?

That is the problem with the AIO's. Motherboards etc, are notoriously expensive to replace. I have one in the workshop at the moment, for a client. Their mobo is kaput, and I have classed it as beyond economical repair.

The £90 charged, does sound ridiculously cheap imo. I know I am not the cheapest repair tech around, (nor do I ever want to be), but that does not sound right to me. What size drive did they install for you?. To be honest, it does sound like it was a image installation, rather than a fresh one..

If you do go the ebay route, then PLEASE remove the drive from the machine. As it will have all your info on it. Yes you will lose a couple of £ off the sale price, but you will have a spare drive, you could use as a external drive for backup purposes.

Thank you jo1lygrngiant for the information, So if I remove the hard drive all my information will be removed? I'm sorry if it seems a daft question I'm not that clued up on computers. Thanks again. pin62.

Thank you jo1lygrngiant for the information, So if I remove the hard drive all my information will be removed? I'm sorry if it seems a daft question I'm not that clued up on computers. Thanks again. pin62.

Hi Pin62

To answer your question, yes, remove the hard drive, then only you will be able to access your data.

All of your pictures, music, videos, word files, college work, uni, banking details etc (what ever you have stored on your drive) will be safe from 'prying eyes'.