Idem Servicing & Philips & Cohen

Mottsy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please can you help and advise. I tried the CAB but they were not much help!

My father in law died last September. My wife (his daughter) is trying to sort out the estate. Probate has been granted. The estate is small. His only thing of value was his old mobile home which will be worth about £40K when all the payments are made.

It seems from paperwork that at some time my father in law had a MBNA credit card and had problems paying it. The debt then seems to have been sold to IDEM Servicing and they had three accounts regarding the debt. One about £5K, one about £2.5K and one about £700.

My wife contacted IDEM to settle the accounts who then, without informing us sold or passed the debts on to Philips and Cohen.

Philips and Cohen sent us bills for two accounts which she has paid.

She called IDEM about the third account, (£5K), to be told that everything has been passed to Philips and Cohen. Philips and Cohen were called and state they have no details of any other account. Back to IDEM who refuse to confirm if there is an outstanding account as they now want a copy of the death certificate!

We have now sent letters to both IDEM and Philips & Cohen, with copies of the death certificate and grant of probate. We have told them we require to be told within 21 days of any outstanding depts. Or we will assume there are none and settle the estate.

The question is: If we do not hear within 21 days will either company be able to make a claim against my wife when the estate is settled? (She is not a beneficiary of the estate). Obviously we do not want to end up out of pocket ourselves but are fed up with being messed about when all we want to do is pay off his debts.

We will also now be placing death notices in a local paper and the London Gazzete.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mottsy

Edited by Mottsy